Totally Rad is the American name of the Japanese platformer, Magic John. Players control Jake, a skater, who must rescue his kidnapped girlfriend, Allison. It is notable for its translation, which features an abundance of 'valleyspeak'
The protagonist, Jake, meets a magician, Zebediah, who teaches him all of his magic. Following this, Jake's girlfriend, Allison, is kidnapped by the villain, Edogy.
However, Edogy is actually after Allison's father, a scientist with access to important information, so Edogy kidnaps him too. Using what he learned from Zebediah, Jake then proceeds to rescue both Allison and her dad.
There are five stages, each broken into smaller levels. These include:
- Stage 1.1 - Amusement Park
- Stage 1.2 - Under the Big Top - Boss: Crazed Pizza Vendor
- Stage 2.1 - City Streets
- Stage 2.2 - The Sewers
- Stage 2.3 - City Streets Revisited - Boss: Biclopter
- Stage 3.1 - The Dark Forest
- Stage 3.2 - River of Danger
- Stage 3.3 - Behind the Waterfall - Boss: Nautikill
- Stage 4.1 - Entrance to the Underground World
- Stage 4.2 - Caves of the Underground World - Boss: Fang of the Underground World
- Stage 5.1 - City at the Core of the Earth
- Stage 5.2 - Lava Palace of Edogy - Boss: Edogy
At any time during the game, the player can press the "Start" button and bring up the menu. From here, they can select any of the twelve kinds of magic abilities that Jake has been given. Once they select a magic power, the menu disappears. The player can now press the "Up" and "B" buttons together to perform the selected magic ability.
There is limited amount of magic power. Whenever the player uses a magic ability, Jack's power meter decreases. Once it reaches zero, he will be unable to perform any magic. Below is the list of magical abilities and their details:
- Life Up - 4 magic points - Increase life gauge to maximum.
- Life Half Up - 2 points - Increase life gauge to half.
- Stop Time - 2 points - Stops all enemies on screen for a short time.
- Damage Shield - 2 points - Protects Jake from damage.
- Fire - 2 points - Magic eliminates or weakens enemies.
- Water - 2 points - Magic eliminates or weakens enemies.
- Wind - 2 points - Powerful Magic that eliminates or weakens enemies.
- Stone - 2 points - Powerful Magic that eliminates or weakens enemies.
- Jake - 0 points - Returns Jake to normal human.
- Lion - 2 points - Turns Jake into a lion with 50% increase to jump and can't be hurt while jumping.
- Eagle - 2 points - Turns Jake into an Eagle allowing him to fly.
- Fish - 2 points - Turns Jake into a Fish allowing him the ability to swim.
Log in to comment