Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Trackmania Turbo

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 22, 2016

Compete to achieve the fastest times in four crazy environments in this 2016 console-focused entry in the long-running TrackMania series.

Anyone playing?

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If so, what do you folks think so far?

It looks and performs very well. I'm hitting around 144fps maxed out with a 680 so no complaints there at all. Lagoon seems really cool. Of course, when user tracks start showing up it will be great to see how things really turn out.

I miss a fair few things from the older games though. The clusterfuck of a UI with dedimania etc, after so many hours playing not having all that info right there is actually a bit of a pain. Overall though, it seems pretty good so far.

totaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could play it. The game won't unlock for anyone in Europe who pre-ordered digitally... They're working on the problem, but maaaaaan... This sucks.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It's a hell of s lot of fun. I only briefly played Stadium, but I like the simplicity of this one a lot more. I wish some things were a bit easier, like sharing tracks, but I think there's time and incentive for them to iron out the kinks.

rubens4t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just downloaded it yesterday after watching the Quick Look and played about three hours. This is my first Trackmania game. I'm so far having a fantastic time, though I suck pretty badly. Had a period last night where the servers kept booting me from online play but the game runs smoothly.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Jinoru

I had a button mapped on my ds4 to kill and bring back the dedimania crazy UI so I could just race so the new UI is really great and funny.

I haven't played beyond the beta since I ordered my copy after the QL dropped, but its pretty great what I tried. The simplicity is a great strength.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Love the game so far. I was never able to play any of the previous games since my computer could never run them, although this seems like it will have a good advantage over 2 since all the track types come in one package so hopefully there should be a better variety of user made tracks.

How does the track builder on pc compare to the previous game in your opinion? I have it on console so it's obviously not the best but it's still pretty fun to goof around with.

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By fresh2deafbill

Going back and forth on whether to buy it. If it was just slightly less than 40 I'd be all over it. I'm just worried there aren't going to be as many user-created tracks.

Cogzwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

does it require ps plus on ps4 for online?

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I tried the demo for an hour on ps4 online and had a great time with it. I don't have time to play or justify the $40 on it right now, but would consider it at $20 maybe down the road a few months. Seemed solid enough.

@cogzwell I'd assume so, as every multiplayer game on PS4 has required it. I'm no expert though, and could be wrong.

AshuSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fresh2deafbill: That's my worry as well. Regardless I've jumped in and opted to start making tracks to help solve that problem. Given how long it has taken me to make 2 tracks with the editor, I'm worried people won't even bother.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@ashurazro: Yeah, and once you put in all that time and publish it there is still a good chance that it will just pass people by and all your work will be for nothing since you can't search by track name.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my first trackmania game due to never having a PC to run it and I'm loving it. Even just running through the solo Campaign I'm really enjoying myself. Haven't dived into the online yet as I've found the servers a little spotty but looking forward to giving that a go also.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MechaShadow84

I've been playing this on Xbox One, and I've been loving it. I've known about this series for years, but I was never able to run it on my PC. Once I saw the trailer for it a year ago, I knew I'd be purchasing it day one.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked it up on PC and am loving it. I have played the series before but this one feels more polished. I know it's lacking some features compared to the older versions but I am still having a blast.

Oh and I have finally got a use for the trigger locks on the xbox pro controller, gotta shave those hundredths of seconds of my times.

BobaTrainwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BobaTrainwreck

I have it on PS4 and am loving it. This is technically my first Trackmania, though I think I've booted up one of the free ones in Steam before, and I've always been fascinated by the series when watching youtube videos or Jeff playing it on UPF.

The PS4 community seems to be OK right now. Hopefully more people will be picking it up on the console. I'm also starting to see more user-created tracks being hosted on the online servers, so that's reassuring.

EDIT: I just checked the online rooms for PS4 and there are a ton more rooms filled with players right now (compared to last night), and the flags by the host players look like mostly European countries. I read on Eurogamer that European digital pre-orders were locked yesterday, so maybe that's why I'm seeing hundreds more people playing today. Oh right, and I think EU has a bank holiday today, so maybe many are home from work/school. Anyways, I just wanted to share this because now I'm more hopeful about the longevity of the PS4 community than I was last night.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/ps4/rooms

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mister_V

@madmatt213: Yeah today and monday are a public holiday, Well they are in the UK at least.

iggypoptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Picked it up on PC. The campaign alone is pretty fun. Played a little 2 Stadium back in the day and it was cool and crazy and all those other things people like about Trackmania. I'll miss the Cher remixes and Christmas dubstep, but I really like how easy this one is to get into. Also, the local multiplayer stuff is a great addition. Hopefully they figure out a better way to handle online level sharing though, it's kind of a mess rn.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bought it on PC yesterday.

It's a (marginally) more grown-up game than T2S and I can't see it ever having the same cult following, but it looks great, plays smoothly and the online's not as bare-bones as I was fearing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm enjoying it, performs very well at 4k res on PC GTX 970. Dont have a frame counter but it feels north of 60fps

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should have waited for PC. I blew my load on the XB1 version. Runs well there, but my 144hz monitor is watching my TV in disgust that I didn't choose PC.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO GANJA RIDER NO SALE

But really, though I love the art direction of Turbo. I played the demo on PS4 and it looks wonderful and feels good.

I'm just cautious as to how active the online will remain and whether or not people will be making tracks that can measure up to some of the best Full Speed courses from Trackmania 2.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick tip (that I just figured out) for Dualshock 4 owners on PC having a hard time getting their controller to work:

Turn off DS4Windows/Inputmapper and use the DS4 au naturel. You'll even get Dualshock button prompts.

zorban_zorban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though the game looks fine, it does not seem to be drastically different from the previous installment, so I'm gonna wait till the sale.

rox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rox360

Played the PC version for nine hours the past two days. I skipped TM2 because it looked like a hot mess from the start and I'm enjoying this a ton. It's really sad to see how little love the community aspect seems to have gotten, what with the underdeveloped online multiplayer and lack of options both server and clientside (has anybody found an option to hide player names?) But I'm mostly a single player/track editor kinda guy, myself, so I'm not bothered by that, personally. Still a shame that they seem to have dropped the ball. I wonder if there's any chance of future patches?

Finished getting all silvers or better in the green series in campaign last night, and finished building my first track. It didn't turn out fun to play, but there's so many exciting parts to discover and figure out before the real fun or making an actual, playable track begins! Especially since both Canyon and Valley are brand new to me, on top of Lagoon which is easily the most exciting addition to the series since Island back in Sunrise. Haven't come close to maxing out the "stuff" meter in the editor, either, despite early concerns. Turns out the ground itself takes up a fair chunk of it, and anything that removes or replaces ground, like carving out canyons, can actually refund some of it while adding complexity to the track.

Serverside graphics and music aside, I can confirm that there's still absolutely potential to make completely bonkers tracks. Custom camera angles are still in, on-screen text is still in, and quite a lot more graphical options than I had to toy with in United (that I presume arrived in TM2 since they seem to have reworked the engine with that), like HDR settings, color grading and fog that you can enable and disable mid-race with triggers in the editor. There's even a filter for camera dirt that you can crank up if you really need to. As soon as I get home from work, I shall experiment with making a night track with lower exposure and more bloom than normal and see just how sparkly I can make it look... Fun!

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Up on the dpad

@rox360 said:

(has anybody found an option to hide player names?)

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been playing on PS4. I wish all of the track community stuff was better or atleast in game. Like didn't Ubisfot publish Trials Fusion? I'm hoping that the more dedicated players will straighten things out, or at least have less rooms that are just he stock running campaign tracks. I think I saw one room that was just running a bunch of tracks this guy made,which is a fun idea.

Played around with splitscreen a bit with my sister and it was great. It runs just as well and the weird "secret" modes are dumb fun. Theres one where you share a screen and it turns on collision, basically making it impossible to play. Also briefly played the double driver mode which was way easier than I thought. The biggest issue is that winning a race would instantly end it for the other player. Really needs sometime of playlist function.

But hey, this is a good ass Trackmania games. I kinda said this in the other thread, but this is just a more friendly product than T2.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Bought it on PS4 today. I'm enjoying it for the most part so far, though I really hate the handling on the off-road sections of tracks.

I played some of the free TM United or Nations or whatever it was several years ago and really loved its weirdness for much the same reason that Jeff does. It's unfortunate that the console versions don't get to revel in incomprehensible cluttered HUDs and dub-step remixes of sit-com theme songs, but Turbo is still a very fun game in its own right. It's certainly not wanting for content, either.

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They really need to fix or add a lot to the multiplayer. It plays as well as always but I'm feeling the lack of local records, server records, dedimania and a bunch of other stuff to be pretty offputting. The way rooms work seems weird too. Having to use external websites etc is kind of fucking awful as well. I understand them wanting to clean up the UI but these things are pretty important to long term playing. Again, I suppose time will really tell.

For PC people https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/rooms/3134 this guy is converting old classic fullspeed tracks. So if you are craving some actual good fullspeed, give it a go. Interestingly some tracks have functioning GPS and the author maintains custom names from TM2. I'm not sure they are converting the tracks but here they are.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LeStephan

The ps4 version seems sold out pretty much everywhere here in the netherlands, didnt expect that, thats the first game this gen that I've seen sold out anywhere at all. Seems to be doing really good.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mars

Something about playing this game just makes me happy. Its like riding a roller coaster I don't want to get off.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Shoey920

apparently there's only 735 ranked PS4 players in New York state. I don't think this game is doing very well in America because I'm pretty sure that number includes players from the beta (there wasn't a stats rest, so much as I can tell)

edit: I'm not good at Trackmania, and I'm almost in the top 1000 for US players. That's probably bad.

Danforth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Danforth

Dude, you should see on PC. It's a wasteland. I'm number one in my province. I shouldn't be.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I played there were 2000 players in Ireland, and I was in the top 10. I'm shit at Trackmania.

jaytee00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jaytee00

@rox360: Cheers for that post, you basically answered all my unasked questions about this release.

It's crazy they didn't take dedimania's cross server track records concept, but the way track tags are surfaced on the server browser seems cool. I'll probably give this one a little bit to see if it dies on the vine.

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way tracks are named is very insane. It seems like a massive or crazy oversight.

Not seeing flags and overall player rank next to peoples names is annoying too. I would also rather a local leaderboard on display so you can easily see your times in comparison to the top 10 or whatever much more easily. Having the option for it to replace that jukebox info thing or whatever. I wonder if modding the UI is possible at all.

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving the game for the most part, I'm single player kind of guy. This game is kind of getting mixed up with controllers though, with the prompts appearing on and off at random. I've also had problems with the game quitting out between tracks that may or may not be related to me using a steam controller/overlay on a game I purchased on uPlay (I had a discount code if you're wondering why I would bypass steam).

The way tracks are named is very insane. It seems like a massive or crazy oversight.

I still haven't figured out how to name tracks. Tried everything, what am I missing?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda. I bought it, but I only play like two tracks a day, for like 20 minutes at a time. I'm kind of using it as a time killer more than actually playing it. But its perfect for that. You can turn it on, make a couple runs and shut it off. Its fun, but not the kind of game I could sit down and play for hours on end. It will probably take me over a year to finish the campaign.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still haven't figured out how to name tracks. Tried everything, what am I missing?

You can't name your tracks. They are associated with your username and they're only given a number.

Ranking is influenced by the number of medals you have. A lot of veteran TrackMania players are jumping straight into the multiplayer and not touching the Campaign trials. So it's easy for rankings to be very skewed.

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rikiguitarist:

Single player medals influence online ranking? I was wondering why it seems so weird but thats pretty fucking odd to say the least. Ive barely touched single player myself.

I jumped on TM2 Stadium to see what was going on and it was way more populated than Turbo and way more populated than it usually is. 100+ people in FS server, 60+ in the GB Unofficial Server etc.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rikiguitarist:

Single player medals influence online ranking? I was wondering why it seems so weird but thats pretty fucking odd to say the least. Ive barely touched single player myself.

That's really dumb and insane and not at all how it should work.

good on ya, Trackmania... you're still Trackmania as fuck

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shoey920:

Well sure, I am used to Trackmania being crazy bullshit but if that is how leaderboards work, it is stupid even by the standards we are used to. Like, if an online ranking in Street Fighter V was determined by how well you do in survival mode, or whatever. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised but still.

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysterious0bob said:

You can't name your tracks. They are associated with your username and they're only given a number.

Jesus.

I tried going back to Trackmania United, but I can't go online because I have no idea what my account name/password is and its assigned to my CD key. This is depressing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b70d4e721de
    deactivated-64b70d4e721de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just found out that this has no cross-platform leaderboards. I'm glad I got it on PC since that's where most of the core players will be I think, but I feel a lot less good about my US top ten medal position now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.