Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

TrackMania United Forever

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 16, 2006

TrackMania United compiles much of the content and concepts found in the previous TrackMania games while maintaining the same crazy driving and huge online feel.

Giant Bomb Trackmania Server

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thelsdj

Is there any interest in a Giant Bomb Trackmania server?

I'm generally just a casual player but I have run a server a little bit in the past and do have the server space and bandwidth for one if people are interested.

Also feel free to submit tracks that I should put on the server as I will just be running a bunch of my old favorites (generally full speed stuff) until people suggest others.

I'll likely get started on setting it up later but wanted to see if there was any interest first.

Server Details:

If you are a free Nations user you must follow these instructions before being able to connect to the server.

@NickL said:

In order to join the server with a free account it will have to be added to your favorites.

To add it to your favorites, once you log in click "Explorer" on the left side.

In explorer, if you hover your mouse at the top edge of the screen for a second a web address bar will show up.

Type tmtp://#addfavourite=thelsdj2 into that web address and the server will be added to your favorites.

To go to your favorites, click on Play Online then click on Favorites.

If the tmtp link doesn't work you may need to download and run: http://www.stabb.de/tmf/gbxtmtptools.exe There you have to put in the path to your trackmania dir which is something like:

"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamaps\common\trackmania nations forever" and then click the "Register tmtp:// Protocol" button which should fix the tmtp link problem.

This will add the server to your favorites list which per: http://www.tm-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27226 is the only way that free players can connect to anything but the developer run servers.

So once you have the server added to your favorites you can pick it from there in game.

For those with United (the paid version) you can just browser to the server under All -> USA -> California -> Giant Bomb TrackMania Server OR use the magnifying glass under the server browser list to search for "giant bomb" (without the quotes). Make sure after you connect you bring up the ESC menu and add to your favorites so you can find it later.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By glyn

Yep, but I only have a free account, just got it after watching the quick look

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thelsdj

@glyn said:

Yep, but I only have a free account, just got it after watching the quick look

That's fine. I think we would start with a "Nations" only server so everyone could play and if it got popular we could expand to a second server for other track styles.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I was a big fan of Trackmania Sunrise so I could definitely see myself getting in on some of that United fever.

Not sure I believe in life after love though.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Dingofighter

I like this idea, I also think that we should think long and hard about which music to play on the server.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Ooh yeah. I actually reinstalled United after watching the QL and it is just as fun as I remembered it. It would be a good time to be rolling around on a GB server with you guys.

I have to also say quality choice of music is imperative. I wanna feel like I'm on a Giantbomb server.

Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Kieran_ES

The quick look made me want to go back and play it some so yes, definitely.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By trace

I am a man who believes in life after love. I can feel something inside me saying, "I really don't think you're strong enough, no."

I can't guarantee I'd participate much, but a Giant Bomb server is something I would find very awesome, indeed, and might encourage me to play more often.

By the same token, I notice there's group functionality in the game, which adds a group-specific leaderboard. It might be limited to United players only, though -- I'm not sure. Is anyone aware of a Giant Bomb group in Trackmania?

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thelsdj

Server is up!

You can either browse to it by going to All -> USA -> California -> Giant Bomb TrackMania Server

Or if you to to All and click the magnifying glass under the server list you can type in 'giant bomb' to find it!

I may or may not be playing much this evening but server is up and we can get some races going soon!

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By NickL

I was trying really hard to keep from getting addicted to the wackiness of this game again, but with a giant bomb server up I am just going to have to jump back in.

See you all in the game!

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thelsdj

If anyone does manage to get connected, can you post in here with a confirmation so I know everything is working for you guys?

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thelsdj

@PsEG said:

By the same token, I notice there's group functionality in the game, which adds a group-specific leaderboard. It might be limited to United players only, though -- I'm not sure. Is anyone aware of a Giant Bomb group in Trackmania?

I've created a group. If you go to your profile and under Groups click Add, the login is gbtmuf and the password is endrun.

I'm not sure exactly how we check our rankings in the group, but this is a start.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NickL

Yeah I can't connect, it says the server didn't respond or something like that. I connect to other servers just fine so I don't think it is on my end.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NickL said:

Yeah I can't connect, it says the server didn't respond or something like that. I connect to other servers just fine so I don't think it is on my end.

Same thing.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By grilledcheez

Love the idea...I'm going to download the free game, and may just break down and buy the real deal if I can't wait for another sale.

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thelsdj

@Manhattan_Project said:

@NickL said:

Same thing.

Weird, I have no idea why not. @PsEG was able to connect and I've had some random players as well.

I wonder if it is a Nations vs United thing, @Manhattan_Project and @NickL, do you both have just the free Nations?

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thelsdj

I just changed a server setting that may allow Nations only players to connect if they were having problems before so if you had problems please try again!

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NickL

I am a nations only player.

Still can't connect the error message is as follows:

Could not connect.

Connection to [ip address] failed or disconnected from server (10061)

Not really very helpful I dont think.

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thelsdj

According to this: http://www.tm-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27226 looks like free users can't connect to my server from the ingame server browser list, but you CAN connect by adding it to your favorites which you can do with: tmtp://#addfavourite=thelsdj2

Now I'm not sure whether the default Steam install sets up the handler for tmtp links so I will post an update when I figure that part out (if it doesn't work by default)

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I'm very interested, I'm planning on buying the game very soon. 
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PsEG said:

I am a man who believes in life after love. I can feel something inside me saying, "I really don't think you're strong enough, no."

I can't guarantee I'd participate much, but a Giant Bomb server is something I would find very awesome, indeed, and might encourage me to play more often.

I think I played with you! Also, you're much better than me.

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thelsdj

So this is a really fucking stupid solution but here goes: http://www.stabb.de/tmf/gbxtmtptools.exe There you have to put in the path to your trackmania dir which is something like:

"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamaps\common\trackmania nations forever" and then click the "Register tmtp:// Protocol" button which should then let you paste this into your browser: tmtp://#addfavourite=thelsdj2 which doesn't seem to work in Chrome but did work for me in Internet Explorer

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NickL

I got it to work with the favorites thing. I wrote up a little tutorial about how to do it, you should add it to the original post as it is much easier then your solution xD:

In order to join the server with a free account it will have to be added to your favorites.

In explorer, if you hover your mouse at the top edge of the screen for a second a web address bar will show up.

Type tmtp://#addfavourite=thelsdj2 into that web address and the server will be added to your favorites.

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thelsdj

@NickL said:

I got it to work with the favorites thing. I wrote up a little tutorial about how to do it, you should add it to the original post as it is much easier then your solution xD:

Did this work with or without the gbxtmtptools.exe thing? I wonder why it never works for me without doing that fix first.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NickL

@thelsdj said:

@NickL said:

Did this work with or without the gbxtmtptools.exe thing? I wonder why it never works for me without doing that fix first.

It worked without it for me, maybe my case was special for some reason. BTW I'm Virtua_NickEl in game

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By WickedCestus

I'm a free user and I got in with NickL's solution. Somehow I have played over 100 hours of this game, and I'm still kinda terrible! :P

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KaosAngel

so this is like modnation but non racing?

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thelsdj

@KaosAngel said:

so this is like modnation but non racing?

It is a technical racing game, but not a sim. It comes down to skill, you have to get good at it and also learn the tracks to be real great. Plus if you like building it also has that side of things.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KaosAngel

i'll wait for steam sale

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thelsdj

@KaosAngel said:

i'll wait for steam sale

There is a free version "Trackmania Nations Forever", also on Steam.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KaosAngel

i will try it on staem then

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thelsdj

@KaosAngel said:

i will try it on staem then

<Fry>Can't tell if serious, or trolling.</Fry>

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By trace

@Manhattan_Project said:

I think I played with you! Also, you're much better than me.

You did! There were quite a few Giant Bombers in that server at one point, surprisingly enough. beef_daddy and jugnutts are both Forza Race Night regulars, and ninja_roz was totally one of us, too.

I had some really lucky breaks on that server. Thankfully, I got knocked back down to size when I returned to the Giant Bomb server. thelsdj and supermike6? They enjoy breaking hearts with their impressive skill.

Seriously, they're quite good and I regret not playing Trackmania at all for the last three years or so.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NickL

That was a ton of fun, even if i am terrible compared to everyone else!

See y'all tomorrow probably.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dingofighter

I just tried out the server, and it was working well, except I was the only one playing...

Also, is the music server or track specific? If it is server-side, then you should just put the GB Community Song on loop...

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thelsdj

@MaFoLu said:

I just tried out the server, and it was working well, except I was the only one playing...

Also, is the music server or track specific? If it is server-side, then you should just put the GB Community Song on loop...

I think everyone was asleep. I'm generally afternoon/evening/late night PST. If you let me know what time you play I'll make an attempt to do a few tracks with you.

I haven't looked into the music yet, I think its just playing the game default music right now.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WickedCestus
    @PsEG said: 

I had some really lucky breaks on that server. Thankfully, I got knocked back down to size when I returned to the Giant Bomb server. thelsdj and supermike6? They enjoy breaking hearts with their impressive skill.

I don't enjoy it, but I do end up doing it quite often. :P
    Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mendelson9

This is so cool. I hope more people join. It's always more fun to play with the Giant Bomb community.

Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kieran_ES

Managed to get on. No-one playing, but then time differences will do that. 

AardvarkBarber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AardvarkBarber

I'm totally down for a server. I came on here looking for one after viewing the quick look and lo and behold! Here it is!

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By fox01313

Been playing around on the GB server on the trackmania site & definitely impressed on how unbroken the tracks are compared to some of the ones I see online (esp. in Europe), don't mind the odd tracks as long as they are able to be finished in some way or another. Will keep an eye on the GB trackmania server as it seems good so far but definitely needing more ppl there :). GLHB & looking forward to seeing more GB people there.

Edit-yes new to it all & just putting this last note here for anyone else new to Trackmania  (esp. with the full version), from the single player, go into a race & if you set an official time on the tracks from the menu after the race has started, you can get coppers & skill points from setting official times. Yes somehow missed it if it was on the QL & not pointed out :P.

Avatar image for fearlessmagician
    FearlessMagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#42  Edited By FearlessMagician
    This is great guys! I'm a free user, but it works fine. There was no-one else online, but it being 4am BST probably accounts for that. Hopefully, we'll all race soon.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WickedCestus

So, I was racing on this server during the first couple days, but I haven't seen anyone on recently. Would anyone else be interested in specific nights where we can all organize ourselves to get some good races, or has the hype following the quick look for this game passed?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.