Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

TrackMania² Canyon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 14, 2011

The long-awaited full sequel to TrackMania is here! Drive fast and drift long in this crazy, physics-based fun racing game. Features gameplay similar to that of previous games in the series. The player can race on various tracks, with the ability to do stunts in various modes.

Controller question

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aviar

Hey all,

Picked up Trackmania 2 right before X-mas and i've been on the giantbomb server a few times and really like the game. I was using the keyboard at first, but am now using an old gamepad for my pc, a Logitech Wingman Cordless. The gamepad works much better then the keyboard, but I was wondering if I would have better control out of hooking up my xbox 360 controller and using it for Trackmania. I'd have to get the wireless gaming receiver to hook it up to my pc, since you can't just use the plug and charge kit.

I'm not sure if the difference between the controllers would be much though.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

The placement of the left analog stick on the 360 pad might make for better control in racers IMO, but I don't know if that'd be worth buying a wireless receiver for. Unless of course you plan to use it for more than just this one game. It's really up to you.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

Just an FIY: you can't map anything in TM2 to the triggers on a 360 controller.

As a workaround, I use xpadder to just emulate up and down arrow keys with the triggers.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShaunassNZ

@Ravenlight said:

As a workaround, I use xpadder to just emulate up and down arrow keys with the triggers.

I never wanted to have to do this, but now I have to. I'm going to email Nadeo requesting proper support for the 360 controller. I don't expect them to add analog for the triggers because it would make it a bit unfair, but I want to use them without the fuss of Xpadder and I'd like to see 360 buttons appear on-screen.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Matfei90
    @ShaunassNZ said:

@Ravenlight said:

I never wanted to have to do this, but now I have to. I'm going to email Nadeo requesting proper support for the 360 controller. I don't expect them to add analog for the triggers because it would make it a bit unfair, but I want to use them without the fuss of Xpadder and I'd like to see 360 buttons appear on-screen.

Uhhhhhhm... I just bought this a few hours ago and it recognises my triggers* for accel/brake just fine (360 wired PC pad). But it would be nice to have 360 button graphics.

*EDIT: triggers, not sticks. Derp.
    swedmiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By swedmiro

There is only one way to control a racer. A good old fashoined joystick gives you excellent controll and can make even the smallest corrections possible. I've been trying to use a gamepad thingy but the small analogue stick just doesn't give med the control I want!

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By EdIsCool

@ShaunassNZ said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Ravenlight said:

It supports the wireless 360 controller. triggers work fine.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

Interesting. I'm using a wired controller, maybe there's a difference in the way the game recognizes the two.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Matfei90
    @Ravenlight said:

Interesting. I'm using a wired controller, maybe there's a difference in the way the game recognizes the two.

I'm using a wired pad too mate, no differences. I have the same experience with my pad as Ed does.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

@Matfei90 said:

I'm using a wired pad too mate, no differences. I have the same experience with my pad as Ed does.

Huh. I'm assuming it's a wired 360 pad, as well? Something weird going on on my side.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Matfei90
    @Ravenlight said:

@Matfei90 said:

Huh. I'm assuming it's a wired 360 pad, as well? Something weird going on on my side.

Yes, I have both an official wired pad and a Razer Onza. Both work fine. Make sure you go into the game settings > input > and apply the trigger to the analog setting for accel/brake. It should register as the Z axis, as the triggers (both L and R) control 50% of the Z axis, so it's just a single function that applies to both.
    Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aviar

@swedmiro said:

There is only one way to control a racer. A good old fashoined joystick gives you excellent controll and can make even the smallest corrections possible. I've been trying to use a gamepad thingy but the small analogue stick just doesn't give med the control I want!

What type of joystick are you using on the PC? I know back in the day my favorite on my C-64 would have been the Wico Bat joysticks which were just great.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Now I feel like the odd one out for solely using the arrow keys. I tried the 360 controller, but it just didn't feel right for some reason. The game was made for the keyboard, and it oddly works well.

swedmiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By swedmiro

Sorry..forgot to answer this. Im using a Saitek Cyber Evo. I used to play a game called Clusterball quite seriously and then i used a couple of Logitech Extreme ones...the USB kind. Did i mention i play in 1:st person?

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phuzzybunny

Keyboard FTW!

newmania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By newmania

I'm using an official 360 controller with this wireless receiver (works great BTW). I couldn't seem to get my speed up or drift properly while using triggers for accelerate/brake so I'm using the face buttons instead. Also had to crank up the dead zone under advanced input settings - otherwise I turn slightly to the left. Yeah, TM2 is awesome on my TV. :)

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BionicMonster

Am I the only one that just forgoes that whole trigger mess by mapping brakes to LB and gas to RB?

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SharkMan

@phuzzybunny: this. except when i drift left i have to let go of accelerate because keyboard doesn't like those 3 keys pressed at once.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gike987

The triggers on a 360 controllers are analog so you should bind them to "Accelerate & Break (analog)" and not to the Accelerate and Break inputs.

funkyman50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gike987: I bound my triggers to "Accelerate & Break (analog)" but now when I handbrake to drift the game acts like I let go of accelerate and I need to let go of the trigger and press it again. Did you have this problem? I can't imagine anyone would play like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.