Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Transistor

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 20, 2014

A science fiction-themed action-RPG by Supergiant Games, creators of Bastion.

Did everyone forget about Transistor?

• 113 results
    Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Corevi

I've been looking at various Game of the Year lists from the major sites and I haven't seen this game mentioned once. I know the bomb squad was very lukewarm on Transistor but I truly adore everything about it. The story, the art, the combat, the voice acting and the soundtrack are all fantastic so I'm quite surprised that this hasn't been acknowledged at all.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I don't think anyone's completely forgotten about it. I enjoyed Transistor, but it was somewhat of a disappointment when it came to the story and gameplay.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By MEATBALL

Definitely consider it one of the best games of the year. The gameplay is excellent and the whole thing is crazy polished. I think I would have preferred a more direct approach to the story, that's the only real knock I have against it.

I haven't really been paying much attention to various game of the year awards (only enough to be disappointed that Bayonetta 2 is consistently being passed up for GOTY :( ), but it's a bummer to hear that Transistor is largely being ignored, it's a fantastic package.

Supergiant Games are just awesome, I love the way both Bastion and Transistor have top flight gameplay, art, stories and music. Usually if you want a good story from an Indie game it seems you're missing out on good old-fashioned gameplay, or if you want good, traditional gameplay you're not going to get much/any story.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's probably in my top 5 games this year but it feels like others have forgotten about it. It's one the few indie games that I've completed as opposed to messing around with for a few minutes

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I thought it was a fairly forgetable experience. In the process of trying to evoke a cool mystique around their story you ended up feeling like you've walked into the middle of a movie with no ending. The narrator gimmick sadly didn't pay off half as well here as ultimately you never learn enough about the characters or the world to really understand their motivations and what is really going on.

In a game with limited gameplay, as Transistor really boils down to just combat encounters and not much else, the story is key in fleshing out the rest of the package and it felt very undercooked.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Blackout62

It's one of the most artistically inspired games I've ever played this year and I will break into fighting over the merits of Supergiant Games Art Director Jen Zee and her wonderful choice to evoke Gustav Klimt.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Haven't played it yet really, apart from a bit at a friend's, but I enjoyed what I did play.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror

While I enjoyed what I played, I'm not a fan of the story's delivery and I was at a loss as to what exactly was happening throughout. The gameplay took me right out of the story as the two elements felt like they were two separate entities, fight a battle then "read" the story afterwards. Bastion's strength was that the story flowed right into the game naturally and had fewer main characters.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

It's certainly a game I would have liked to play but I'm going to have to be "that guy" and say I didn't get a chance to because it wasn't on Xbox One. My fault for assuming because Bastion came there first and ended up on everything, the same sort of thing would happen this time around.

Also my fault for being too lazy to hook up a controller to my PC and playing it there. :(

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

It will be on mine. Would be quite surprised if it didn't get mentioned on the GB stuff. It may just be a factor of coming out earlier in the year and being a low-profile enough game that people are forgetting about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I remember it, I also remember being incredibly disappointed by it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Corevi

@rhombus_of_terror: They actually have the same amount of main characters at 4 (Kid, Rucks, Zia and Zulf in Bastion. Red, Transistor, Asher and Royce in Transistor). There's two named bosses that I wouldn't consider main characters (Sybil and the Spine) and there's a bunch of small characters that only exist as functions.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Never finished it as I sold my Ps4 first, but I enjoyed what I played of it.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i keep forgetting about this game every time i think i would like to get it,do not know why.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure I saw it on IGN's and Gamespot's list. I agree that it's a great game and I hope it gets its due on the GOTY deliberations.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not in my top 10 list. Good game, but not as good as I had hoped.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Corevi

@dimi3je: It's nominated for the voter's choice Game of the Year on Gamespot but not the Editor's one. Did not see that IGN nominated it though due to all their GotY stuff being video this time around.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an alright game. IGN nominated it for Game of the Year, I'm pretty sure. I didn't like Bastion, so I'm biased, but while I thought the aesthetic and mechanics of the game were interesting, it simply wasn't that fun for me to play. Also, I don't like the way either Bastion or Transistor tells its story. There's something about the way its narrated that comes off as pretentious to me.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I certainly haven't forgotten about it, as it's probably my most disappointing game of 2014.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

No . It's no.7 on my list

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks good, it sounds good, but everything else is debatable. Some people love it, some people are incredibly indifferent about it. Unfortunately I don't think it will show up on the GOTY for most sites unless they have a specific category for it. I know I only played about an hour of it before I found myself losing interest.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally forgot about it, sorry.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Meh. Got bored pretty fast. I liked the style, but combat was boring.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it. It looked and sounded great, and I found the way you had to use different powers to unlock more of the story to be a very interesting way of getting me to try powers I normally wouldn't. It's not my all-time favourite of the year, but I will be mentioning it in my top 10.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transistor is absolutely my favourite game this year. It blows Bastion out of the water in pretty much all aspects, for me.

The music, gameplay, story... just fantastic.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#26  Edited By sammo21

I didn't! I need to go back to it, for sure. Sad to think that Destiny will be on some people's list but this won't...

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't forget it, didn't cease to really like it. There's just something really cool about that Supergiant style. I think ultimately I like the storytelling just as much as Bastion in its own way but the gameplay is pretty exceptional in this one. I just love tinkering with with all those options and experiment with weird tactics. The presentation - graphics, music, voice acting - is excellent again. No complaints, one of my favorites this year!

Transistor does some very specific, simple things with with great confidence and focus. People who want that love it while people that don't latch on to any of those strength are simply unimpressed. I'd like GB to show some love for sure but I'm not too sure if it really stuck with any of them.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest disappointment besides Infamous. I remember it very well.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a good game.... but for me, compared to bastion, just not as good. The story felt lacking in Transistor. Though I had some fun with the gameplay! But that's my 2 cents!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to drop this here in case anyone needs a reminder on just how amazing the soundtrack is.

Loading Video...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ripelivejam

only game i finished this year, truth be told. liked the story and atmosphere, gorgeous visuals/design, pretty mind-blowing combat system that i hope other games take and run with in some way or another, and of course an amazing soundtrack. so no i haven't forgotten. :)

also no one does trailers like Supergiant. i hope it did well for them.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just missed my top 10. It's probably 11. I thought all the parts of that game were absolutely stunning. The music, the art, the battle system, the subject matter, were all top notch. but it didn't fit together well. The story wasn't pronounced enough and I kept losing the thread and playing catch up. I'd probably like it more if I played it again and payed better attention.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also no one does trailers like Supergiant. i hope it did well for them.

It did well enough that they're keeping going as a studio.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#34  Edited By Yummylee

Never played it, probably never will. I didn't care very much for Bastion, either.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I didn't finish it because I thought it was a huge bummer. Messy art design, unremarkable music, clunky, heavy gameplay, and a story I could neither relate to or find thematically interesting. Bastion's one of the best games ever made; Transistor doesn't make the cut.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I put it in my GOTY 2014 list, but I'm not one of the 'cool kids' who has his list featured.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had it on my list, but ended up removing it after I remembered other games I liked more. And I am still on the fence of having Thief or this at the 10 spot. I keep going back and forth.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38 chaser324  Moderator

I liked a lot of what it did, but the way it delivered its narrative just didn't stick with me. Several aspects of the game felt a bit forced in some ways, perhaps largely just because it had to follow the amazing Bastion.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has no business being on a best games of the year list.

It's an alright game, but with MAJOR design flaws, like the stupid way it removes functions instead of just killing you. I also thought the story was rather weak and the game didn't impress me as much as Bastion did. But it was mostly about the gameplay. It was so close.. but not as refined as it should have been.

I had to force myself to complete it and I think that might have been the case for a lot of people.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Corevi

@superfriend: Saying something has no business being on a game of the year list is being really close minded. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean everyone forced themselves to complete it. For me personally it was the definitive best game I've played this year that came out this year.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, this is some of you guys' biggest dissapointment of the year? You must either be extremely jaded or not have seen/played or read/heard about much of anything this year.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

Transistor was lovely. The mutability of the combat and the evolution of the story were complex but worthwhile. Two amazing moments stick out (spoilers):

When you find the boss has committed suicide with his lover, distraught over the damage he created. Just a powerful and sympathetic end to a character that doesn't require a fight

When you realize that your enemy can now stop time and attack you without you being able to do anything. That reversal in the final fight killed me instantly the first time and I loved the powerlessness and requirement of mastery it provoked. I had to be really efficient with my tools and attacks in and movement in order to win.

Transistor was great!

(Also, also, as others have said, requiring the player to experiment with weapons and powers in order to unlock story that builds the world was a clever synergy that many games should copy).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kierkegaard: The problem with linking experimentation in combat to unlocking parts of the story is that people will just not bother and then complain that the story sucks.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ripelivejam: Or maybe they were just really looking forward to it, and it didn't live up to what they had hoped?

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost forgot about it until I saw it on my Steam wishlist the other day.

I don't know if I will pick it up - what I saw of the game being played just did not really grab me. The game market is so incredibly crowded right now that it's tough to pull the trigger on a game I just don't feel strongly compelled to (especially on PC).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfriend said:

It's an alright game, but with MAJOR design flaws, like the stupid way it removes functions instead of just killing you.

I thought this was a fantastic idea. If I remember correctly it disables the function you use most often, which serves as a meaningful death penalty that forces you to reassess your tactics. Instead of letting a player coast along with whatever loadout they default to, it encourages experimentation and shows off the breadth of ways each combat scenario can be approached.

Transistor was great, I haven't forgotten. Though I would say it isn't quite as strong as Bastion where the surface narrative is concerned, it has far deeper and more satisfying gameplay. The world building and atmosphere, art, and audio is all top notch as well. The issue I think is that Transistor is a pretty slow burn, and requires time and effort from the player to get the most out of it, whereas Bastion was immediately accessible, and fun to just pick up and play.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ripelivejam

@twinsun: i could understand a little disappointment maybe, but multiple people here are claiming biggest disappointment in a year with watchdogs and destiny. Feels like either their expectations are stratospheric, or all this cynicism is starting to bleed through to places it shouldn't be. Just seems like a little perspective is in order. But people are entitled to their (possibly misguided) opinions.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I played about 2 hours and just couldn't get into it. The music and art was great. But the story just didn't grab me and the fighting always felt clunky. Eventually I'll give it another shot.

Evosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the aesthetic and gameplay more in Transistor than in Bastion, but this is a matter of taste. Bastion definitely had a more understandable story. I really liked the ending of Transistor (+ that final fight was super cool), but the basic plot didn't seem to come together for quite a while. Transistor is one of my top 5 games of the year, and while i enjoyed it more than Bastion, I can certainly see how people coming from Bastion would be disappointing or consider it worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.