Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Trash Panic

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 04, 2009

Trash Panic is a PSN-exclusive puzzle game utilizing trash and physics for a unique gaming experience. It is notoriously difficult and contains a vast number of gameplay rules.

Trash Panic Arcade Edition

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Gomibako is invading PlayStation Home as well. In the freakiest way possible, of course.
    Gomibako is invading PlayStation Home as well. In the freakiest way possible, of course.
    Gomibako, better known as Trash Panic around these parts, is already a thoroughly anachronistic game. Its appearance as a Tetris-biting well-puzzle game belies Trash Panic's use of 3D space and the randomizing effect of modern physics technology, and there's something about its deeply quirky, deeply Japanese look and feel that reminds me of old PlayStation games like Incredible Crisis or No One Can Stop Mr. Domino, games we haven't really seen the likes of, at least in the US, in years. Today Sony ups the ante on Gomibako's peculiarity with the Japanese release of 100 Yen Gomibako, which strips down the modes and restructures the pricing of this downloadable PSN game to mimic a proper arcade game.

It's a shift that doesn't require a huge stretch of the imagination. If there were such a thing as arcades anymore, the tight, round-based structure and blistering difficulty of Trash Panic would make it a perfect coin-op candidate. It's a novel idea, but one th at's less-than-appealing when you consider the economics. You download the game for 100 yen (about $1 USD) which essentially gives you three "lives" to play with. When you run through those, you'll have to plunk down another 100 yen for more plays. The regular version of Gomibako is roughly $15 on PSN in Japan, and those familiar with the game's level of difficulty can attest that it really wouldn't take long to burn through 45 credits. The idea of a $1 Trash Panic in the US seems even less economically viable, since the full version can be had for a mere $5. As agreeable as I find throwback nature of this, I can't help but feel like Sony is basically charging players for a time-limited demo.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Gomibako, better known as Trash Panic around these parts, is already a thoroughly anachronistic game. Its appearance as a Tetris-biting well-puzzle game belies Trash Panic's use of 3D space and the randomizing effect of modern physics technology, and there's something about its deeply quirky, deeply Japanese look and feel that reminds me of old PlayStation games like Incredible Crisis or No One Can Stop Mr. Domino, games we haven't really seen the likes of, at least in the US, in years. Today Sony ups the ante on Gomibako's peculiarity with the Japanese release of 100 Yen Gomibako, which strips down the modes and restructures the pricing of this downloadable PSN game to mimic a proper arcade game.

It's a shift that doesn't require a huge stretch of the imagination. If there were such a thing as arcades anymore, the tight, round-based structure and blistering difficulty of Trash Panic would make it a perfect coin-op candidate. It's a novel idea, but one th at's less-than-appealing when you consider the economics. You download the game for 100 yen (about $1 USD) which essentially gives you three "lives" to play with. When you run through those, you'll have to plunk down another 100 yen for more plays. The regular version of Gomibako is roughly $15 on PSN in Japan, and those familiar with the game's level of difficulty can attest that it really wouldn't take long to burn through 45 credits. The idea of a $1 Trash Panic in the US seems even less economically viable, since the full version can be had for a mere $5. As agreeable as I find throwback nature of this, I can't help but feel like Sony is basically charging players for a time-limited demo.
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By blair

What are they thinking?

Trash Panic Is awesome nonetheless.

zeouterlimits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By zeouterlimits

My thoughts exactly on the demo charging.
      Very odd.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

All I can say is, WTF.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zabant

What a fucking terrible idea..

virtual arcades?

THE REASON ARCADES DO NOT EXIST ANY MORE (-japan) IS BECAUSE PEOPLE DID NOT ENJOY PAYING FOR A GAME THEY WOULD NOT OWN.

and doing this on a console away from the excitement of having people around you to challenge 1v1 side by side? and making the game a stripped down version?

ITS LIKE I'M PAYING FOR  PLAYS ON A DEMO

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Reverseface

They should make trash picnic next, you gotta fit everything INTO A HAMPER!

Doomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Doomi

I agree with David Jaffe on this one:

Thinks this is very cool! Pay as you go arcade games on PSN? Eager to see it players embrace it...gut says it's cool!
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FCKSNAP

I wish they would introduce subscription pricing already, it's already there if you look at each downloadable game's information on PS3 and PSP.

Also, when you see it, you'll shit brix.

No Caption Provided

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9  Edited By spiceninja

The black one on the couch creeps me out.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By metal_mills

Problem is whats the point of paying $1 when you can have it for $5? That's stupid. This is demo charging. If the game, was say $20-$25 then it might make more sense.

kassatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kassatsu

"I can't help but feel like Sony is basically charging players for a time-limited demo."

You mean like the FREE demo that they put on the European and US PSN today?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

Coming to a standalone download multiplayer Call of Duty near you!

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13  Edited By c_rakestraw

Seems rather pointless to release an arcade version when the home version can be bought for a pretty cheap price. I have to wonder why Sony thought this was a good idea, because it certainly doesn't sound like one. 

XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By XII

Who in their right mind would pay $1 to basically play a three-life demo of a PSN game? I just can't grasp the logic behind that seeing as the full version is a steal to begin with, not to mention the fact that the game's punishing difficulty will effectively render this into an ordeal lasting less than five minutes for anyone that hasn't already burned away several hours mastering the game. Trash Panic is a great, but this just strikes me as a silly idea.

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By kwyee

Back in the early 90's, arcade machines had hardware beyond what the contemporary consoles could handle, so it was worth paying $0.50 for X-Men:COTA  or Time Crisis or whatever.   Then the console powerful enough to play those at a fraction of the the cost (if you played them a lot), which was a big selling point.  Did Sony forget that?

I wonder what's up with Sony recently... It's as if they collectively forgot what got them dominance in the past couple of console generations, or more practically, perhaps the leaders of yesteryear or no longer with them?
    phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phlegms

Dude what?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azteck

Err... what? Why would you want to pay for something like that?

FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrEeZe
    It's an interesting idea, maybe not for trash panic considering it's already low price but it can be applied to other games.
    I've thought about this before and wondered why it would and wouldn't it work. It wouldn't work on larger games where the download time might be equal to or even more than the time you will spend playing it. But for games that have the old school arcade set up and with the current talk about the pricing of downloadable games, this is a genius idea.

What if "Turtles in Time" (XBLA) was to follow this format?
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Damien
    @FrEeZe said:
    " What if "Turtles in Time" (XBLA) was to follow this format? "
    It would still be a horrible idea.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Media_Master

doesn't seem right

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

WTF? I can't even comprehend the validity of this; Trash Panic is only $5!! No me gusta.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.