Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Treyarch

Company »

Treyarch was founded in 1996, and was acquired by Activision in 2001. The company is best known for developing for both the Call of Duty and Spider-Man franchises.

Treyarch Is All Call Of Duty, All The Time

• 75 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Unless Activision gives Treyarch the green light to drop a grouchy and unkempt Peter Parker or Tony Hawk in the middle of a campaign during a period of armed hostility, it appears as if we won't see the developer give Spider-Man, or really any other not-Call-of-Duty series like Tony Hawk, another go. In a recent conversation with CVG, Treyarch boss Mark Lamia confirmed that the studio is a "100-percent Call of Duty Studio." 

"Treyarch is a 100-percent Call of Duty studio--and it has been for a long time now, long before any of [the Infinity Ward] events occurred," Lamia said.

No Caption Provided
    The events Lamia are referring to are the dismissal of Infinity Ward president Jason West and company CEO Vince Zampella, as well as, assumedly, the subsequent departures of several members of the studio that built the Modern Warfare series. Zampella and West have since founded Respawn Entertainment.

"We focused all of our efforts on creating the best Call of Duty game we possibly can and what that meant is not working on anything else," Lamia continued. "We are a multiple team studio and focusing on Call of Duty and Call of Duty gameplay meant focusing all of our teams on that."

Treyarch is currently developing Call of Duty: Black Ops, a FPS title that has flame-spewing shotguns. Jeff recently got a chance to check out the game. You can read his impressions here. Spoiler, though: it sounds radical.

Do you think Treyarch should be all Call of Duty, all the time? Or would you rather it be able to develop whatever it wanted, whenever? Tell us in the comments and on the boards! 
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Unless Activision gives Treyarch the green light to drop a grouchy and unkempt Peter Parker or Tony Hawk in the middle of a campaign during a period of armed hostility, it appears as if we won't see the developer give Spider-Man, or really any other not-Call-of-Duty series like Tony Hawk, another go. In a recent conversation with CVG, Treyarch boss Mark Lamia confirmed that the studio is a "100-percent Call of Duty Studio." 

"Treyarch is a 100-percent Call of Duty studio--and it has been for a long time now, long before any of [the Infinity Ward] events occurred," Lamia said.

No Caption Provided
    The events Lamia are referring to are the dismissal of Infinity Ward president Jason West and company CEO Vince Zampella, as well as, assumedly, the subsequent departures of several members of the studio that built the Modern Warfare series. Zampella and West have since founded Respawn Entertainment.

"We focused all of our efforts on creating the best Call of Duty game we possibly can and what that meant is not working on anything else," Lamia continued. "We are a multiple team studio and focusing on Call of Duty and Call of Duty gameplay meant focusing all of our teams on that."

Treyarch is currently developing Call of Duty: Black Ops, a FPS title that has flame-spewing shotguns. Jeff recently got a chance to check out the game. You can read his impressions here. Spoiler, though: it sounds radical.

Do you think Treyarch should be all Call of Duty, all the time? Or would you rather it be able to develop whatever it wanted, whenever? Tell us in the comments and on the boards! 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

That's where the money is so I don't blame them.

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By drowsap

cant wait 4 this

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dantheman1515

Black Ops looks cool.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I've never played a Treyarch game that I liked, so I'm fine with them only developing for a franchise, that I'll boycott due to recent events.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Cube

What a worthless news story. 

Treyarch makes Call of Duty games, what great news.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rockanomics

I've heard it's impossible to beat 100%, so Treyarch will now be the biggest name in gaming.

Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Kahoona

So rename to Call of Duty Studios.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Cazamalos

the real question is which studio will make the next' year COD, because, i don't think a single studio  like Treyarch can create a big budget shooter like COD yearly 0o

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yzzerdd

Treyarch Is All Sweatshop, All The Time

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Rowr
    @cazamalos said:
    " the real question is which studio will make the next' year COD, because, i don't think a single studio  like Treyarch can create a big budget shooter like COD yearly 0o "
    sledgehammer.

The new studio with the two guys from deadspace.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Binman88
    Makes sense for Treyarch to take the CoD reins. I personally don't care though. The franchise is pretty much dead to me so they can do whatever the hell they want. I guess it would have been nice to see what original stuff they could have come up with, but Activision know where the money is.

@Cube said:
    " What a worthless news story.  Treyarch makes Call of Duty games, what great news. "
    Must be your time of the month.
    poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By poser
    @Cube said:
    " What a worthless news story.  Treyarch makes Call of Duty games, what great news. "
    lol. Someone sounds bitter -- I take it your a Lost Planet fan?
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ch3burashka

ABCD: Always be Call o' Duty.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cube
    @poser said:
    " @Cube said:
    lol. Someone sounds bitter -- I take it your a Lost Planet fan? "
    Uh no? 

What are you on about?
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Binman88
    @Cube: lol, nothing funnier than a confused child.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dbz1995
    @Cube said:
    I found it a good read, and many others did too-therefore, your argument is invalid.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cube
    @Binman88 said:
    " @Cube: lol, nothing funnier than a confused child. "
    Ain't a child, but sure.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By MeatSim

If your putting flame spewing-shotguns into the game I can't say Call of Duty is in bad hands yet.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#20  Edited By Vinchenzo

Let me be clear when I say I'm never buying another CoD game again. It'll be good to get away from the bad community, anyway. As well as the bad games Treyarch makes. Up until now they've only used ideas from Infinity Ward, and now what will they do? Oh, right. Rehash the same game over and over in simpler terms than before.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pibo47

I rather them make what they want to. But idc about call of duty anymore. Sooooo yeah. I guess this is ok with me.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @zudthespud said:
    " That's where the money is so I don't blame them. "
    Exactly but another factor is probably from Activision controlling what type of games they create.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By buzz_killington

I think Activision is just slowly dissolving Infinity Ward into Treyarch, and is just going to use Infinity Ward as a brand from now on. Or that's what I would do. There are like 4 guys left at IW.

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BeepBeepBoop
    @Cube said:
    The point of this story isn't that Treyarch make CoD games, it's that all they make now is CoD games, no other IPs nadda.

Personally I hate it when developers get stuck into a single IP, is it really fun to develop iterations of the same game over and over? I'm sure there are some talented people at Treyarch who could create some new interesting IP.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

that's just sad...Cause really that's all treyarch can do reskin games by IW...but now that IW is gone...what are they going to do? they've not created a truly unique game of their own in years...and really when they did they weren't of very good caliber then again the reskinned games weren't very good either and just road on the coattails of what they were named after.

I_am_Lono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By I_am_Lono
    @dbz1995 said:
    " @Cube said:
    I found it a good read, and many others did too-therefore, your argument is invalid. "
    It wasn't an argument, it was a subjective opinion. 
    88Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 88Fingers

I hope they run this franchise into the ground until
    people are sick of the call of duty name and gameplay.
    I'm already sick to death of it and I don't even play 1st person war shooters.
    they suck boring balls!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 137

they need to stop making call of duty games. so buggy and lackluster, at least they don't suffer from infinity wards elevators glitches.

Seanakin66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Seanakin66

Saying Treyarch is more dedicated than before to making CoD games is like saying TV networks are more dedicated than ever to making reality shows.  So fucking what.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Vorbis

That horse can only take so much of a beating before it dies... Actually, I can't wait for this to turn into another Guitar Hero, keep it up Activision.

PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PDC_Emulator

I guess this means Call of Duty will continue to decline in quality, since most of what the series is known for was brought forth by Infinity Ward.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArchScabby

Treyarch sucks.  Without Infinity Ward to leech off of there games will be complete shit.  Hopefully when as Activision runs COD into the ground, Treyarch will follow.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jimbo
    @Vinchenzo said:
    "Up until now they've only used ideas from Infinity Ward, and now what will they do? Oh, right. Rehash the same game over and over in simpler terms than before."
    Nailed it.

Treyarch aren't developers, they're a game assembly line.  I couldn't care less what Activision gets them to churn out.
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I bet they would be better appreciated by the gaming community at large if they were given the chance to use the tech and employees to make something original.

That said, It's probably better they make Call of Duty and share that weight in house then cramming too many different projects in at once.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlasherMan
    @ArchScabby said:
    " Treyarch sucks.  Without Infinity Ward to leech off of there games will be complete shit.  Hopefully when as Activision runs COD into the ground, Treyarch will follow. "
    Why the hate?

World at War wasn't bad at all, and they actually supported it better than IW ever did.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArchScabby
    @SlasherMan said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    " Treyarch sucks.  Without Infinity Ward to leech off of there games will be complete shit.  Hopefully when as Activision runs COD into the ground, Treyarch will follow. "
    Why the hate?  World at War wasn't bad at all, and they actually supported it better than IW ever did. "
    WAW was COD4 with a WWII skin.  Like I said, without Infinity Ward to crib off of, they can't do shit.
    spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37  Edited By spiceninja

I got really excited for Modern Warfare 2 and I still enjoy playing it but I officially don't care about COD anymore. Congratulations Activision, you've killed another franchise in your quest of corporate greed.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SlasherMan
    @ArchScabby said:
    " @SlasherMan said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    Why the hate?  World at War wasn't bad at all, and they actually supported it better than IW ever did. "
    WAW was COD4 with a WWII skin.  Like I said, without Infinity Ward to crib off of, they can't do shit. "
    That was a bad thing?

Regardless, they already have the core mechanics and gameplay down. It's up to them to expand on it from there and to make it their own.
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

And what's left of Infinity Ward is a 100% CoD studio too? And Sledgehammer

I doubt they'll get much more mileage out of IW's engine after Black Ops before they have to make their own. That will be the real test of their abilities imo.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArchScabby
    @SlasherMan said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    " @SlasherMan said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    WAW was COD4 with a WWII skin.  Like I said, without Infinity Ward to crib off of, they can't do shit. "
    That was a bad thing?  Regardless, they already have the core mechanics and gameplay down. It's up to them to expand on it from there and to make it their own. "
    Didn't say it was a bad thing, I liked WAW.  What I'm saying is that is all they can do.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SlasherMan
    @ArchScabby said:
    " @SlasherMan said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    " @SlasherMan said:
    " @ArchScabby said:
    That was a bad thing?  Regardless, they already have the core mechanics and gameplay down. It's up to them to expand on it from there and to make it their own. "
    Didn't say it was a bad thing, I liked WAW.  What I'm saying is that is all they can do. "
    Well, give them a chance and see what they might be able to achieve with Black Ops. I'm not that huge a CoD fan, anyway, but I'm interested to see what they can make of the next game.
    And if they support it like they did WaW, it would be pretty good.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho

Brad N makes redundant article on the heels of Kotaku, part 13.

SlantedRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SlantedRoom
    @Vinchenzo: wow that is a completely ignorant statement
    hagridore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#44  Edited By hagridore

Proudly admitting they will only ever do one thing? Thanks for that.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By ch13696

This is the kind of news article I will say "no shit, tell me something I don't know".

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By time allen

i don't understand how an entire studio can be happy pigtailing off of somebody else's original work. if the next half-life 2 episode were to be developed by, say, blizzard, or if the next mass effect were to be developed by square-enix, nobody would be happy. but, because it's call of duty and "that's where the money is", it's completely fine.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cstrang

Recently, I've found Treyarch's entries in the series to be the weakest...  I don't know if this is good news or no.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By metal_mills
    @ryanwho said:
    " Brad N makes redundant article on the heels of Kotaku, part 13. "
    You realize they probably get e-mailed the same news info, right? Makes you sound like he just reads Kotaku and posts it here.
    kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kagekage

I already regretted buying MW2, so no I don't really care either way for the Call of Duty series. 
    I'll just stick to CoD4 and MW2.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

That is fucking tragic. Working on the same thing forever inevitably makes it lose it's sharp edge eventually (See Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk), not to mention it burns out the team and tarnishes their name. But I guess it could be argued that CoD has lost it's edge ever since CoD4 and is in "drive this series into the ground" mode right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.