Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Triangle Strategy

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 04, 2022

From the makers of Octopath Traveler, a tactical RPG with a branching narrative.

Did anyone try this?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

It was on my radar for forever, and I've finally got a Switch this month.

Is it all it's cracked up to be? There's nobody playing it on Twitch, and barely any reviews out there

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

I generally liked it. The gameplay is pretty great. The characters and writing are solid enough, but there's just way too much talking overall and it hurts the pacing.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah it's very story forward and the story itself is pretty... dry? I'm not sure how to put it without sounding more negative than I mean, it's well written but I was definitely not in the mindset for that kind of story when I first played it.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By wollywoo

I loved it - combat was fantastic and just the right difficulty, hitting the sweet spot where I had to try most battles 1-2 times perfecting my strategy to win, but it never became overly frustrating. There are a lot of neat tricks you can pull off, like knocking enemies off cliffs, walling them off, setting traps, etc., and these are all very satisfying when they worked. I liked the story too, but yes, it was WAY too talky. It would be a better game if they cut at least half the dialogue. Agreed that the story is pretty dry and serious with very little humor, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I absolutely adored it.

It's a very mature story without straying into being grimdark, (it's more about idealism VS utilitarianism) there are real consequences for choices made at certain points, and there are 4 endings so plenty of reasons to replay with party members you might have missed or not gotten in the story you played out.

If you do pick it up: I'd highly advise against starting on HARD, it is not kidding: it's incredibly difficult, and it's one of those games where the early encounters on HARD are actually the hardest because of your lack of options.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By nophilip

As a turn based tactics junkie, I was overall disappointed in it. Don't get me wrong - I like story in games, and I've loved more story focused games in the genre. Triangle Strategy's story is way, way, way too overwrought and wordy for its own good. The ratio of story to game is way out of balance for my taste.

The combat itself I would describe as pretty middling. It's competent enough, but normal is way too easy. Hard makes you actually have to think tactically, but it also encourages you to grind more than I feel like you should need to in this type of game.

Overall: 6/10. It's currently #24 overall on my Ranking of Turn Based Tactics Games list. If you're looking for a recently released game in the genre that is better in literally every way (I guess YMMV on HD-2D as an art style), then I'd highly recommend Tactics Ogre Reborn. Much better story, dramatically better combat, and more content than you can shake a stick at if you want to dig into it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.