Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 21, 1998

Joshua Fireseed, inheritor of the mantle of "Turok", must fight his way through the Lost Lands to defeat the Primagen (an ancient evil alien who seeks to rule the universe).

This comes out on the sixteenth of this month.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

It comes out on Steam then. I am curious if anyone is going to get it, or even knows it's releasing so soon? I plan on waiting for a console version. I know my PC can probably run it, but I'd still prefer to play it on a console unless I have to wait long for it. This game is one of the best N64 games in my opinion (and my favorite Turok), so I'm excited to play with a better control scheme. I may think this is one of the best N64 games, but I don't like the N64 controls for FPS' and this game especially: it had inverted Y-Axis for looking, which I don't do. I don't know all that is different, but from what I understand they're making the stages a little less labyrinthian and you can also choose between the N64 and PC soundtracks. They also said they put in, even more, blood.

Edit - The game just came out on the Xbox One with the first Turok. Anyone interested in it? It seems to have just come and will probably be missed by most. I bought it again despite its (what some might consider) steep price at $20. Two ran pretty badly on my PC maxed out, so I wanted the One version. I really wanted the One version from the get-go. It runs really well so that's good. No glitches or anything. I was kind of suspecting something was up considering they quietly and abruptly put them out.

The awkward thing is that it feels like (and I don't mean this in a bad way necessarily) it was stripped right from the PC version because you have all the PC settings still. I have no idea why you'd want to turn visual bells and whistles off unless you just wanted to make it look like the N64 game for nostalgia. I'm having fun playing it. I think the biggest downside is the sound. I don't know where to situate the meters in the options to make it all sound right. I wish that had a little updating so it all meshed well.

It would have been really cool if all sound was just enhanced in some way. The soundtrack I've always found great, but an update would be cool. Perhaps new voice work and redone sound effects that are close to the original, but more modern sounding. The only other issue I have, and it's a small one is that I also can't quite figure out what my preferred sensitivity is. There are a handful of options for sensitivity too, including how quickly you want your walking speed to kick in.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah, wow, really? I'll probably pick it up during a sale, but sure I'll play it again. I borrowed this game from a friend when it came out and I didn't really get that far so I just used the cheats to try out all the weapons before giving it back. The only other thing I remember about it (besides both N64 Turok games having atrocious controls) is the Cerebral Bore. Which is probably what most people remember. I was about 10 at the time and my mother never would've rented or bought this for me so I had to kinda hide it. First time I used the Cerebral Bore (which is a fucking great name for a weapon) I just remember thinking "Uhhh, should I be seeing this?" It's so awesomely gruesome.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By glots

@ntm said:

they're making the stages a little less labyrinthian

Someone's probably going to say that this is ruining the game by making it more like "modern" shooters, but that was one of the biggest reasons why I didn't like this game. It doesn't add complexity to the game, it's just annyoing and tiresome to run in circles around identical corridors. I think my other dislikes were the N64 fog (I played it on pc, but I'm pretty sure it was still there), a whatever kind of plot and visually boring level design. The kinda clunky controls didn't help either, when I was used to pc-exclusive shooters.

It also didn't help that Valve had released their little groundbreaking game before the pc-version came out...but! I do remember there was that cool weapon that shot out a metal ball that drilled into the enemy's head and made it explode. That was pretty cool.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_monocle: Oh yeah, and that's right, it would auto-center. Man, that's crap. Great game, bad controls, though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: Cereberal Bore, yeah. That's what everyone remembers it seems. Also, from what I remember reading, the PC port wasn't good.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember being sooo impressed by the bow tech. Then again I was 11.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Who asked for this?

Kharnivore2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to trying it out. Returning to the original without the fog was hilarious and really shows how flawed that game is.

I'm hoping Seeds of Evil holds up better, i remember it being a much better games...but the N64 controls just let it down.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

This game always seemed insanely difficult to me. The levels were so long and you had to fight the controls. Glad to see some game preservation. Lets not forget, there were what, four Turok games on the N64? I picked it up deep discount for ten dollars. They were fire-selling copies of the game at Toys-R-Us.

boss_wreckman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: I did. I asked for it, but not aloud. Not in a letter. Not scrawled in blood on a disaster-stricken space station. I asked for this with my heart.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
    Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played all of the levels via a warp code, but could only finish the first one. I got to the end of another one, but missed a mission objective along the way. And there were save points. Screw that.

All I remember were gargantuan levels and endlessly searching for hidden switches that opened hidden doors, and Turok's infamous draw distance made it difficult to take in your surroundings and avoid getting lost. Yeah, the weapons were fun, but I don't like this game.

Also, this game made me afraid of spiders. There was one level where you would drop down into a cavern and swarms of giant spiders would charge at you from all sides. I never recovered.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@dgtlty said:

Who asked for this?

If you don't want to play it then don't play it?

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought this as soon as I got the notification on my phone that it was for sale on steam. I'm excited for the editor to come out and the workshop content

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This bums me out. It runs terribly on my PC at max settings, and the gamepad sensitivity is not good. It feels very much made for PC, and not for gamepad usage. I can tell by the way the walking movement is only one speed.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Played their remake of the original Turok, and though for awhile it was a fun trip down memory lane, the game felt incredibly archaic by modern standards. Don't think Turok 2 would be much different even with all the improvements.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigboss1911: I'm genuinely curious if there was any real demand for this. Did the last remake sell particularly well?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

This bums me out. It runs terribly on my PC at max settings, and the gamepad sensitivity is not good. It feels very much made for PC, and not for gamepad usage. I can tell by the way the walking movement is only one speed.

Unless you're playing on a 25 year old potato, I'm gonna guess that the game needs some patching? But hey, at least Steam offers refunds.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Distress beacon, activated.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You know your PC can "probably" run it?

@ntm said:

It comes out on Steam then. I am curious if anyone is going to get it, or even knows it's releasing so soon? I plan on waiting for a console version. I know my PC can probably run it, but I'd still prefer to play it on a console unless I have to wait long for it. This game is one of the best N64 games in my opinion (and my favorite Turok), so I'm excited to play with a better control scheme. I may think this is one of the best N64 games, but I don't like the N64 controls for FPS' and this game especially: it had inverted Y-Axis for looking, which I don't do. I don't know all that is different, but from what I understand they're making the stages a little less labyrinthian and you can also choose between the N64 and PC soundtracks. They also said they put in, even more, blood.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had no issues with this game running. I got an amd. Maybe it's an nvidia thing?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

@travisrex: @glots: Nope, just my PC. My PC isn't a gaming PC, but I thought heck, it's an old game and even the updates they make to it wouldn't do much to performance, and it does enough that I can't get it to run well at max. I have to turn things down and to 720 to even get 60fps. I've read that some are having an issue with the game even with good graphics cards, but that's not what I was saying here, so I wasn't blaming the game. That said, the gamepad use isn't good. Oh, and I would have wanted a refund myself, but my brother bought it, and he's okay with it. My PC is from 2011; it's just not a gaming PC.

@retrometal: Yes, as in maybe. I didn't know if it could run it well at max settings. It doesn't.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i remember getting this after playing a year or so of goldeneye, being so hopeful it would be my new jam, then... getting disappointed. still had a decent amount of fun with it and the graphics did kind of wow me back then, but it definitely wasn't whaty ihoped it'd be. might give this a shot for the right price... someday.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

bewareoblivionisathand

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgot this came out this month and just picked it up today on GoG. It took almost 20 years but I'm finally able to play the game the way I always wanted to. Of course, the ironed out framerate is the biggest benefit but it also has some great quality of life changes added in aside from cleaner graphics and updated resolution.

There's an option to get rid of the N64 fog which changes the look of the game quite a bit and makes it easier to navigate. You can now save anywhere and the old checkpoint portals can now be used to quick teleport to parts of the level to more easily track down any missed objective. Speaking of, objects that can be interacted with now show up as exclamation points on the screen when you get within it's vicinity, removing the annoyance of easter egg hunting for items/objectives. The enemy AI has also been improved and is actually pretty damn good.

Haven't played with a controller but the M/K controls are spot on and with the smooth framerate turn the game into what it was always supposed to be: a Doom-inspired fps with a more fleshed out story, awesome weapons, and cool enemy death animations.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

I just wanted to bump this and update it saying that the One version just came out yesterday. It came out abruptly and I wanted to see if anyone was interested, or even noticed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.