Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Turok

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jan 31, 2008

In this unsuccessful reboot of the Turok franchise, space marine Joseph Turok must hunt down his former mentor and fight for survival on an alien planet filled with hostile soldiers, genetically-engineered dinosaurs, and other dangerous monsters.

anyone else think this game was awesome?

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Thrawn1

i know, i know, it didn't review very well. many talked about how generic the story is and everything, but you know what? Jurassic park (the movie, not the book) had a generic storyline, and it was awesome. This game isn't meant to have a deep, thought provoking plot, it's supposed to be a thriller. and a very good thriller it was. actually, it reminded me of gears of war. the music, the weapons, the controls, the voice acting, the artistic style, etc. it was also tense as hell. and the final boss fight cinematic was fairly rewarding. (reference to bionic commando?) overall, i just thought the game was extremely intense, and had lots of cool weapons. i think i ended up depending on every weapon in that game...

i do have to mention that there was some awkward level design. there would be an extremely long/hard sequence with no checkpoints. frustrating, especially at 3 in the morning.

what do you guys think?

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By keyhunter

I didn't like the lack of mutants, and guys with giant can openers and cameras that do damage. And the music wasn't 3 second super fast drum loopy enough. And the story made too much sense. And there was no cerebral bore. Ugh.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thrawn1
    keyhunter said:
    "I didn't like the lack of mutants, and guys with giant can openers and cameras that do damage. And the music wasn't 3 second super fast drum loopy enough. And the story made too much sense. And there was no cerebral bore. Ugh."
    what the hell are you talking about
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By keyhunter

Turok 1 and 2. Fucking awesome games.
    Turok for this gen is just a re imagining of Turok with less crazy crap making it feel stripped down compared to the first three games.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thrawn1
    keyhunter said:
    "Turok 1 and 2. Fucking awesome games.
    Turok for this gen is just a re imagining of Turok with less crazy crap making it feel stripped down compared to the first three games."
    hmm. i didn't play the original ones. maybe the developers were trying to go for something different
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By keyhunter

I'm pretty sure this new Turok was made by a new developer. I'm uncertain though. Until they bring back all the stupid nonsense that was the Turok for N 64 and PC games, I'm not interested. You can't just remove the cerebral bore from a franchise and not expect it to suck balls. Seriously though, play  Turok 1 and 2. They rock.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By pause422

um, no...this game maybe if you look at it alone, was average at best and could provide at least an 'ok' shooting experience(opinions aside, if you enjoy it good for you) just compared to the 'real' turok games of the past..this dev team turning into just another 'space marine game where they crash on a planet, oh no..and must make it back!" is a complete insult really. The original turok games will always be the best.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By oraknabo

Pretty average. I liked some of the areas, but it got old pretty fast. I think 99% of my kills were with a knife.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Discorsi

I want this game.  I loved the demo ;d

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I wish this game had more stealth sequences, stabbing a guy in the back or taking him out silently with the bow were some of the ways that worked for stealth gameplay. I say this because the action itself was a little lacking and boiled down to shoot, take cover to regenerate health and the enemy A.I. weren't smart enough for a challenge. Dinosaurs started to lose their scare because you could easily stab them with the knife when the context action would come up.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

This is late, but I thought it was just great (8.0-ish). I wish they made a sequel to this exact Turok, making it even better where needed. The whole time I played it I kept thinking, they need to do a really great single player and have a nice atmosphere. I think they should look to Avatar for their inspiration. I thought the games atmosphere was near great, but had potential to be even more so. It needs to be a single player focus. It was great, but I really, really, want a sequel that does everything a step or two above. The story was OK. I wish the universe that surrounded this game specifically was larger from a detail perspective. We didn't even know the planet they were on did we?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

The very first Turok was a lot of fun.

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By p00rdevil

Please excuse the necro :) but the first Turok was one awesome FPS. It was among my favorite games on the N64 up there with Goldeneye and Zelda OOT.

What made Turok Dinosaur Hunter unique among the then current crop of FPS games was the primitive theme and jungle environment. You played as this bad ass Native American, a down and earthy warrior who finds himself in this twisted world of ancient ruins and teleporting enemies. You start out with a hunting knife and find progressively more damaging weaponry as you advance through the world. The whole place was full of mystery, exploration, and danger. You could swim and dive deep under water in the lakes and ponds, climb the vine covered cliffs, enter subterranean caves, search out the old ruins in the vein of a tomb raider. You could hunt wildlife for health. The game was like no other FPS at the time, a big step in another direction from the standard Quake and Doom.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

Wait wait wait.

How in the fuck does Jurassic Park have a generic story?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

Wait wait wait.

How in the fuck does Jurassic Park have a generic story?

because kids like the OP don't remember a world before Jurassic Park. For them it's always existed, just like the Internet.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bigdaddy81

@p00rdevil said:

Please excuse the necro :) but the first Turok was one awesome FPS. It was among my favorite games on the N64 up there with Goldeneye and Zelda OOT.

What made Turok Dinosaur Hunter unique among the then current crop of FPS games was the primitive theme and jungle environment. You played as this bad ass Native American, a down and earthy warrior who finds himself in this twisted world of ancient ruins and teleporting enemies. You start out with a hunting knife and find progressively more damaging weaponry as you advance through the world. The whole place was full of mystery, exploration, and danger. You could swim and dive deep under water in the lakes and ponds, climb the vine covered cliffs, enter subterranean caves, search out the old ruins in the vein of a tomb raider. You could hunt wildlife for health. The game was like no other FPS at the time, a big step in another direction from the standard Quake and Doom.

Goddammit, now you got me all nostalgic for Turok!

What I wouldn't give for an updated HD remake of the first two Turok games. That series has the distinction of getting me into FPS games in the first place, a feat that both Doom and Wolfenstein 3D failed to accomplish.

For fuck sake, you fought a cyborg T-Rex that shot lasers out of its eye! Why has this series been buried in the mists of time?!!!! Someone start a Kickstarter to fund the re-release of these games for the poor, deprived gamers of today!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By csl316
    @BigDaddy81 said:

For fuck sake, you fought a cyborg T-Rex that shot lasers out of its eye!

Nice, like the Terminator T-Rex in Overblood 2.
    phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phuzzybunny

The first Turok was great! The second Turock was hard as hell as I remember.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

As a matter of fact, I DID like the Turok reboot quite a bit. I don't know what it was about that game, because it's honestly not great and has a few big problems, but something about it drew me in. It had some great pacing, atmosphere and variety, and was pretty lengthy by shooter standards. It felt like a big Hollywood summer blockbuster made into a game. I really loved a lot of the sequences in the final act, too. Man, I kinda want to go back and play it now!

I don't have a ton of nostalgia for the rest of the series, though. I may have played the first few levels of the original game at a friends house when I was a kid. I also briefly owned an N64 years ago and had Turok 2, which seemed pretty awesome but I remember it being really hard and never played that much of it. I do, however, have a strange love for Turok: Evolution, though. Another game that wasn't really that good but completely awesome at the same time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.