Twilight Sparkle is a young purple unicorn with a navy blue mane and a pink streak. She originally hails from Canterlot, the capital of Equestria. She was instructed by her mentor, Princess Celestia, to move to Ponyville so that she could expand on her magical abilities and learn more on the power of friendship in Ponyville, a town settled by Earth ponies. Her apprentice is a small dragon by the name of Spike, who she met when she was showcasing her magic capabilities in order to attend a school for the most capable of magical unicorns. Her home is a rather large tree in the middle of town that also functions as a library.
In her first game appearance, My Little Pony: Twilight Sparkle, Teacher for a Day, she takes on the role of narrator. The game is more of a story book where Twilight reads the story to the player, each story telling about Equestria and give life lessons at the end.
Twilight Sparkle is a very well educated pony and is the one with the most formal education of the mane cast. She takes thinks seriously, almost to a fault, but does all that she can to look out for her friends. She has an intense need and thirst for knowledge, primarily when it comes to magic and learning her limits. Because of Twilight Sparkle's need to succeed and vast intelligence, she is also insanely organized. She values Princess Celestia very highly and only accepts perfection in an effort to please the princess. This can be an issue for Twilight Sparkle, as it can make her seem very selfish and bring out her more negative traits. Twilight Sparkle is known to freak out and have anxiety attacks that affect everyone around her when she knows that the princess will be stopping by. Her nervousness can take a hard grip on her and amplify her almost non-existent social skills. When this happens, she tries to solve her problems with magic and things she's read instead of relying on her friends, making any issues she had formerly grow exponentially.
- Twilight Sparkle is a completely new pony, seeing as she is not one to have her name, appearance, or personality be repeated from previous My Little Pony generations.
- In the first season of the show, Twilight Sparkle was a light purple and had a long tail, now she is a darker shade with a shorter tail.
- Twilight Sparkle's mother resembles the original first generation Twilight pony.
- Her cutie mark is a collection of magical sparkles.
- Unlike most unicorns who specialize in one specific type of magic, Twilight Sparkle excels in a vast variety and knows multiple spells.
- She is voiced by Tara Strong.