Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Twisted Metal

Franchise »

Twisted Metal is a series of car-combat games that lets you destroy vehicles with rockets, flame-throwers, machine guns and dozens of other means. You also got some special moves that are performed like in fighting games, and (like most fighting games) these moves aren't listed anywhere in-game, nor in the manual.

A next installment is in works

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello there vehicular combat fans in Gaint Bomb forums

About nearly a week ago, there was an article from Eurogamer mentioning about the next installment is in development, and no one in Giant Bomb is speculating about this so I want to see you guys share your thoughts.

A new Twisted Metal game is reportedly in the works • Eurogamer.net

To me, it's good to see more and more 1st party driving game IPs appear by next-gen's gaming industry.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I think there's definitely room for a game of the caliber of Twisted Metal 2 or Black, but it's a franchise with far more misses than hits. I hope developers take note of the misses, learn from them, and realize this doesn't need to reinvent the wheel. It doesn't need robots or kaiju or whatever dumb thing they think will help push copies. It just needs to be a good Twisted Metal, with fun car combat, fun cars, and fun endings. Please, for the love of God, don't stick in card systems or rogue-lite whateverisms or whatever the flavor of the day happens to be. Just let me shoot a man stuck between two big wheels while I'm racing around in my 57 Caddy-alike.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Wait.. they're making a Twisted Metal TV show? uhh okay.

I never knew Sony published Twisted Metal. Always thought it was a THQ joint or something. Must be pretty annoying for David Jaffe if this thing actually ends up doing well. Dude seems like a bit of an ass, but Twisted Metal was pretty much his baby.

I do wonder whether these games still have the pull that they had back in the day. Remember Destruction Allstars? Onrush? It just seems like the people at large are not really into these games that blend cars and combat. There's nothing wrong with being a niche product, but when you have to throw bots into the online matchmaking because there are not enough people playing the thing, that's going to be a problem. Eventhough Destruction AllStars launched with PS plus, people didn't stick with it at all.

Anyone played that 2012 Twisted Metal on ps3 btw? That too seemed to be met with a general shrug.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gtxforza

@onemanarmyy: Yeah I remembered Destruction AllStars and OnRush, they're both weird in terms of concept & gameplay so that's why most car lovers don't have an interest in both, as I know the majority of them would prefer Wreckfest and MotorStorm more.

In this case, Destruction Allstars requires players to chase for their car at the start of every match before using them to ram onto others to score, if they get destroyed, they must run on foot until they reach another car.

While OnRush is about dominating by performing reckless driving skills which include ramming onto others, running onto checkpoint gates and many other ways to score for their team.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.