Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ubisoft Entertainment

Company »

Ubisoft Entertainment (pronounced yoo-bee-soft) is a French videogame developer and publisher, with its headquarters in Montreuil-Sous-Bois, France.

Ubisoft lied.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gike987

The servers wasn't down because of  "exceptional demand" they were attacked.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By pwnasaurus

well maybe ubisoft can learn from this dont fuck with the internets or angry pirates

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Don't angry their potential costumers. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah, blame some unknown hackers. That shit always flies.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jimbo

Looks like both Silent Hunter 5 and AC 2 have been pulled from Steam here in the UK.  Are they still available on Steam in the Colonies?

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Crixaliz
    @Jimbo said:
    " Looks like both Silent Hunter 5 and AC 2 have been pulled from Steam here in the UK.  Are they still available on Steam in the Colonies? "
    They are still available for Canada
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gike987
    @Jimbo said:
    " Looks like both Silent Hunter 5 and AC 2 have been pulled from Steam here in the UK.  Are they still available on Steam in the Colonies? "
    They are still available on Steam here in Sweden.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By sarahsdad

From the little bit I've read, it seems like it was a denial of service attack. 
    If that's true, I can see how the first report would be an overload. 

Beyond that, I wonder if they lesson they're learning is not to bother with PC's. I know that there's piracy on consoles as well, but isn't one of the bennies of consoles that it isn't as bad?

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gike987
    @sarahsdad said:
    " From the little bit I've read, it seems like it was a denial of service attack. If that's true, I can see how the first report would be an overload.  Beyond that, I wonder if they lesson they're learning is not to bother with PC's. I know that there's piracy on consoles as well, but isn't one of the bennies of consoles that it isn't as bad? "
    But if they stop making PC games all the pirates will move to the consoles. What are they going to do then? Move back to the PC?
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sarahsdad
    @gike987:  It's possible there's a certain circular nature to it, but I think that there are (or could easily be) a larger number of people using consoles that don't have the combination of drive, knowledge, time, etc. to be pirates. I haven't looked  into modding/piracy lately for consoles, but if it still requires opening up the box, and making some changes there as part of the process, I'm not sure that it will get much more common than modding on cars. There'll always be people with the time, inclination, etc. but until there's no under the hood work required, I think that the number of people who won't bother is going to grow, not shrink as consoles get closer to being just a thing you buy, like a toaster. Obviously I don't have data to support that, it's just an impression that I have based on the idea that one of the reasons for having a console is that you want to play some video games, and aren't really interested in the work that's sometimes required to get a pc game to go. The same way that some cars and vehicles are still made with a stick shift, there'll always be people who really like that angle of things. But in the same way that most new cars are now automatics because they're generally easier to drive, I think consoles or more locked down systems will get to be more and more the norm, at least for game playing.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Evilsbane

Well I wanted to post a video from Star Wars where  Governor Tarkin says "She Lied, She Lied to Us!" but it doesn't exist :(

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Whisperkill

I can't not think of catcher in the rye when someone says phony

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGremp

D: 
    D: 
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gike987
    @sarahsdad said:
    " @gike987:  It's possible there's a certain circular nature to it, but I think that there are (or could easily be) a larger number of people using consoles that don't have the combination of drive, knowledge, time, etc. to be pirates. I haven't looked  into modding/piracy lately for consoles, but if it still requires opening up the box, and making some changes there as part of the process, I'm not sure that it will get much more common than modding on cars. There'll always be people with the time, inclination, etc. but until there's no under the hood work required, I think that the number of people who won't bother is going to grow, not shrink as consoles get closer to being just a thing you buy, like a toaster. Obviously I don't have data to support that, it's just an impression that I have based on the idea that one of the reasons for having a console is that you want to play some video games, and aren't really interested in the work that's sometimes required to get a pc game to go. The same way that some cars and vehicles are still made with a stick shift, there'll always be people who really like that angle of things. But in the same way that most new cars are now automatics because they're generally easier to drive, I think consoles or more locked down systems will get to be more and more the norm, at least for game playing. "
    But if the pirates move to consoles they will probably figure out how to make it easier. It's already much easier to pirate games on the 360 than many older consoles. 
    And knowledge isn't a problem. Because the pirates in my school is already pretty good at helping people who don't want to do it themselves.
    What may happen is that they make more family games, like many of the games for Wii, because I'm pretty sure the people who play those won't ask people to pirate games for them.
    FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FartyMcNarly

That'll teach developers to bother putting a PC game out in this day an age! If they never even bothered with Assassins Creed 2 on the pc this wouldn't have happened.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andorski

Part of me says that Ubisoft going back on their DRM method would mean that the pirates have won.  No one wants that.

Yet at the same time, Ubisoft has shown that they are currently incapable of assuring their customers a smooth game experience.  Removing this DRM would do nothing but benefit their customers.

Oh well... *goes and plays ACII on a console.*

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By haggis

I'm not surprised. They were pretty much asking for it by taunting the way they did. They should have been prepared for it. As for whether or not Ubisoft lied ... that's more difficult. After all, Ubi's first report was pretty early on. They might not have fully appreciated what was going on.

Pirating already exists on consoles, but it's too much work for the average console gamer to bother with. So the DRM is good enough there to keep devs happy. Honestly, I wonder if this whole episode with Ubisoft was to create a good excuse to drop the PC as a development platform. Their shareholders have to be pissed about this. They've been the most ... creative, I guess, when it comes to DRM, and it always bites them on the ass. What bugs me, though, is people cheering on the pirates. I really like gaming on my PC, guys. I don't want Ubisoft to stop developing for the PC. If Ubi leaves, I imagine it could be the beginning of the end. Steam is great, I'll admit, but I really do not want to see a mass exodus from PC gaming because pirates are getting cocky. Ubi's going to take a financial hit over this either way. All signs point toward this making the PC less lucrative for them. Too many headaches means they'll leave the market.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gike987
    @haggis said:
    " I'm not surprised. They were pretty much asking for it by taunting the way they did. They should have been prepared for it. As for whether or not Ubisoft lied ... that's more difficult. After all, Ubi's first report was pretty early on. They might not have fully appreciated what was going on.  Pirating already exists on consoles, but it's too much work for the average console gamer to bother with. So the DRM is good enough there to keep devs happy. Honestly, I wonder if this whole episode with Ubisoft was to create a good excuse to drop the PC as a development platform. Their shareholders have to be pissed about this. They've been the most ... creative, I guess, when it comes to DRM, and it always bites them on the ass. What bugs me, though, is people cheering on the pirates. I really like gaming on my PC, guys. I don't want Ubisoft to stop developing for the PC. If Ubi leaves, I imagine it could be the beginning of the end. Steam is great, I'll admit, but I really do not want to see a mass exodus from PC gaming because pirates are getting cocky. Ubi's going to take a financial hit over this either way. All signs point toward this making the PC less lucrative for them. Too many headaches means they'll leave the market. "
    I don't think PC gaming is dieing, only moving to digital distribution, like steam. The problem is that the reports never include those. 
    But piracy is getting way out of hand (for consoles too even if it's a bigger problem on the PC). I know people who get ridiculed in school for "being stupid enough" to not pirate their games.  
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sarahsdad
    @gike987:   No doubt. I was much more likely to take things apart just for the hell of it 10 or 15 years ago than I am now. That's why I figure that there will always be people who do that. I also think you're right about more family games; mostly because that'll spread the console market further. Before going any further, let me make clear: I think a company hoping to stop piracy completely is fooling themselves, and I don't think that having the program set up to always require a connection the whole time it's on is silly, to say the least. 

I'm also going to quote haggis, because he can say in one line what I spent I low wall of text saying before.

@haggis said:
    Pirating already exists on consoles, but it's too much work for the average console gamer to bother with.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By oldschool

If it was a cyber attack to teach Ubisoft a lesson, then that form of terrorism is good.  Ubisoft deserve all the crap they get for DRM.  A Jihad on DRM I say.  

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That's a good thing, show ubisoft their drm doesn't work and only affects paying customers.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By haggis
    @gike987: I hope you're right. Steam is a great leap forward, in my opinion. Unlike some, I can perfectly understand what Ubi is trying to do with their DRM. I get a bit tired of them trying to reinvent the wheel, but part of me likes to cheer them on just because I think intellectual property rights are important, especially if we want devs to keep making the games we love. I'd love for Steam to become the de facto source for PC gaming content. It solves nearly all the technical DRM issues. Nearly all. It can still be a headache.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @oldschool said:
    "If it was a cyber attack to teach Ubisoft a lesson, then that form of terrorism is good.  Ubisoft deserve all the crap they get for DRM.  A Jihad on DRM I say.   "

your awsome.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By natetodamax

I would have been fine with them lying about being attacked if they hadn't lied like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.