Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ubisoft Entertainment

Company »

Ubisoft Entertainment (pronounced yoo-bee-soft) is a French videogame developer and publisher, with its headquarters in Montreuil-Sous-Bois, France.

Why aren't their games on Mac?

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It seems Ubisoft really doesn't like Macs because many of their games were never released for mac. Far Cry 3 wasn't, AC: Revelations wasn't, ACIII, no Mac version has been announced for AC: IV or Watch Dogs. Why? Do they not like Mac users or something?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

My guess is that someone crunched the numbers and said "this ain't worth our time and money". I don't think the degree of affection they have toward the platform ever entered the equation.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ProfessorEss

I know a lot of people with Macs but I don't think any of them have ever bought a game for one so my guess would be that they don't sell enough to warrant the effort?

Tough question to answer without any kind of data to look at but I can almost guarantee it's not personal.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My guess is that someone crunched the numbers and said "this ain't worth our time/money".

this. I assume it takes a good amount of money to port to mac and with ubisofts already wary view on pc games (regarding piracy) It probably just doesnt make economic sense.

(i dont know much about macs but assume that piracy is just as big a problem there)

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

Because the installed base is not big enough to justify the costs of a port?

Installed base with macs that can actually play games at least semi decently, you know the macs at the 2-3k USD range *rolleyes* is even smaller

And out of those people, the ones that are actually avid gamers is EVEN smaller (because why would anyone be stupid enough to pay 5 times more on a computer just so there is a half eaten apple logo on it for gaming purposes? or for whatever purpose for that matter...) so... yeah... get a PC.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MocBucket62

I have a Mac and I have Rome Total War: Gold Edition for it. You see there are games that come out for the Mac, they just tend to be ports from older PC games or games overall. (Rome for the Mac came out in 2010 I believe)

Napoleon Total War is coming out for the Mac this year, yet the PC version came out in 2010. Also, I believe the recent SimCity is suppose to be released for the Mac in September, so every now and then the Mac gets ports that come out in the same year as the original. But yeah, gaming is not one of Apple's priorities so I don't think they bother pushing to advertise their library of games to compete against PC's.

Edit: On the topic of Ubisoft, they simply don't believe putting their games on the Mac is a good investment.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By monetarydread

Because Mac's are not a gaming platform. If you want to play games, get a proper PC, they cost less and are significantly more powerful.

Because of the low hardware specs on every Mac, and the fact that the OS is a pain to get games working properly (apparently Apple locks down its OS fairly tight, so developers do not have access to the same system level features as Windows), it is not worth the massive investment in money to port a game over. Plus, games on PC are built using Direct X. If you want to port to Mac to you have to recode the graphics engine to operate with the OpenGL standard.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Run Windows via BootCamp. I run Windows 8 on my MacBook and use it for all of my gaming. There are some great games available on Mac (Blizzard games, Valve games, Guild Wars, League of Legends...) but if I want to play most of my Steam library I just boot to Windows. It works fine and you'll have a much more attractive machine than some plain, poorly designed PC machine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.