Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

UFC 2009 Undisputed

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 19, 2009

UFC 2009 Undisputed is a mixed martial arts fighting game developed by Yuke's Osaka, developers of the WWE SmackDown! games. It is the first UFC game to be released under the licensing agreement signed with THQ.

Disappointed by the canned animations

bandresen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bandresen

Preface: Demo Impressions, I don't think this is something that will be rectified before the release, but still.

I'm quite disappointed by the use of canned animations when they show the close-up knockout animations where one can see the sweat and blood shoot out of the mouth. The stuff that was made popular by Fight Night.

The best way to spot them is to use Lidell to knockout someone with a Overhead-hook, if the close-up comes you can see that he just does a normal left or right hook. (See here.)

I noticed it first when I knocked out Rua while he was jumping at me with his knee and I knocked him out by hitting up with my right elbow while he was in the air. And then some canned animation of a right hook came.

Also there are not that many knockout-animations from a stand-up knockout. I wonder why they didn't use ragdolls because they have a such a nice engine where clipping is not happening very often. The most obvious exception is the mouthpiece that I often see clip through a person's chest.

I hope the next game will improve upon this. If they have to use canned animation, then they need to include so many that it isn't easy to spot them. :-)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

They do use ragdoll.

agent89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By agent89

I don't know what you're talking abuot, I've seen some glorious KOs

bandresen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bandresen

I'm not saying that everything looks shit. I'm just saying that it is quite repetitive to see the same canned KO-animations over and over again.

And that goes both for the actual fall in the KO and the close-up KO-moment... The second part is especially stupid because it isn't actually a close-up of a KO you've done, it's an pre-done animation that will put in according to some heuristics.

AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By AvD

Wow, I hadn't notice that.  If it is true, and all the close up KOs are hooks regardless of what really happend than I agree.  Seems like a cop out to me, I'd rather them not give that 'Fight Night' angle at all if they're not going to even show what really happened,

bandresen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bandresen

I found a good video that illustrates my point about the close-up knockout animations here. Look carefully at the position of Lidell's head and hand in the real time knockout and then in the close-up. It doesn't match.

To back up my statement that they aren't ragdolls after they have been knocked out in the standing game I would have to compile a video that would include hundreds of the same animations from other people's videos... Rather tedious, so I'm not going to attempt that just yet. :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.