Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

UFC 2009 Undisputed

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 19, 2009

UFC 2009 Undisputed is a mixed martial arts fighting game developed by Yuke's Osaka, developers of the WWE SmackDown! games. It is the first UFC game to be released under the licensing agreement signed with THQ.

Watch out Fight Night Round 4!

rpommier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rpommier

I was undecided on which one to get and opted to get UFC after playing the hec out of the demo.  I was still ready to buy FN4 when it came out though, since I have enjoyed the series since my PS2 days.  But, after playing the 360 demo for FN4 today, I think I will wait for a price drop on it.

For me UFC is the superior game thus far.  Just comparing the demos for both games UFC is much more to my liking than FN4.  UFC is much faster and the controls or more responsive.  I also feel there's more strategy involved in UFC, as you have to account for the "Ground Game".

I did play one match online and encountered ALOT of lag.  But, I do not play many games online so that's not a showstopper for me.  I really think the lag will be fixed eventually though as the game looks to be popular.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

MMA Fighting will never take out boxing. YOU HEAR ME!? NEVER!!!!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

I was extremely disappointed with the FNR4 demo.

rpommier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rpommier
    @Fr0Br0

Dude, I thought the same before I actually started paying attention to MMA.  I've been watching matches like a madman and can see why they have such a rabid fanbase.  MMA has all of the fervor of a WWE/TNA event and the realism of boxing.  There aren't many people that can name any professional boxers other than De La Hoya or Manny P.  That's a serious problem for boxing.  Also, when is the last time you've tuned into a boxing match on television?  Boxing is in trouble.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fr0br0
    @rpommier: Deep down, I know boxing is in trouble. And it really makes me sad. I'm not a fan of MMA so I may be a little biased. To me, it's just throwing punches and taking people down in an primitive behavior. If a boxer were to connect a single punch without a glove, any of those MMA fighters would be down. I don't see the same level of skill and technique used in MMA. I can completeley understand why people like it, but then again, I can understand why people like WWE.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    CL60 said:
    I was extremely disappointed with the FNR4 demo.
    I feel like I could go on for hours about how much I was disappointed with the FNR4 demo. Good god, what the hack happened? I may be mistaken but didn't the studio that did the previous Fight Night games get shut down and this game was made by another EA studio? I think something of that sort went down but I cant quite remember. Anyways yeah... very disappointing.
    rpommier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rpommier
    @Fr0Br0: I see what you mean.  I like boxing too, but it's just so inaccessible to the casual fan right now.  There aren't many  televised events right now and next to no marketing.  Hopefully some of the boxing commissions will get in gear and resurrect the "Sweet Science".
    Kraylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kraylor
    Fr0Br0 said:
    @rpommier: Deep down, I know boxing is in trouble. And it really makes me sad. I'm not a fan of ... [more]
    I'd love to see a boxer stand and bang with Vanderlei.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

boxing is not in trouble, i don't care what your deep down inside feelings are. 

you guys are insane if you think so. 

The Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton fight generated more hype than any UFC fight I have ever seen, and got insane ratings. UFC is still growing. 
    The problem is, no matter how much you know about MMA (i have a good friend who is going pro, I am totally into it as well and understand completely what is going on during a fight) there more painstakingly boring aspects to it, like how they will allow the fighters to just sit on top of eachother for a whole round. In boxing, you hug for more than a few seconds they break it up. Another thing, winning matches by submission will never be cool. ever. Sure, its entertaining to watch them defend it, and exciting to see someone actually get into position, but as soon as it happens its ilke....oh...o well. he lost. blah. 
    When it comes down to it, the most exciting thing, by far, in MMA is a knockout punch/kick. Nothing compares. 

I just don't think that MMA has reached maturity yet. There needs to be more rule changes, they need to further define the sport, because as it stands, its basically Street Fighter. I mean, there really is no "sweet science" to MMA as there is for boxing. When I watched the Manny vs Ricky fight, i could imediately point out the different technique and strategies being employed and you could see Manny attacking with pinpoint accuracy and weaving in and out to take down Hatton. If this were an MMA fight, Hatton would have just tackled Manny, wrestled him on the ground, and just pummeled him with punches and then put him in an arm bar is some shit. 

When Manny Pacquiao fights Floyd Mayweather Jr, expect the hype, and the ratings to take a big dump on any MMA fight during the same time. Shit, the HBO mini series 24/7 following the fighters leading up to the fight will probably get as good or better ratings than the MMA fights happening at the same time. 

ps. I am well aware as to how defensive and fanboy-ish MMA fans are, please don't go ape shit on me. :)
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Kraylor said:
    Fr0Br0 said: @rpommier: Deep down, I know boxing is in trouble. And it really makes me sad. I'm not a ... [more]
    i'd like to see Vanderiei stand toe to toe with a boxer in a boxing ring. 
    Its actually laughable when you watch MMA fighters box eachother, they look clueless, they just want to grab the other guy, or land a lucky haymaker. 
    DarkPredatorUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DarkPredatorUK
    TwoOneFive said:
    Kraylor said: Fr0Br0 said: @rpommier: Deep down, I know boxing is in trouble. And it really makes me sad. I'm ... [more]

You guys seriously think like this? so your saying a top boxer would walk all over a top MMA fighter?

The fact is that although boxers would be damn good with their hands which is obvious, let me ask you:

how would they handle being taken down? being pulled into a strong Muay Thai clinch? put into a submission hold?....... Defeat would be a definite in all those cases plus more.

And you want to know what would truly destroy a guy who only knows how to box? elbows and knees can get inside a boxers guard like you would not believe and this is why MMA fighters must Learn Multiple disciplines as without a good ground game or at least an understanding of how elbows, knees and kicks works they wouldn't last 10 seconds, for example the kicks of Mirko Cro Cop are just as deadly as any boxers punches period.

Oh and MMA fighters can take a punch with the tiny UFC gloves, I think a boxer would get a big shock taking blows from them after being used to such big gloves for years never mind the fact that a boxers guard will be seriously reduced without boxing gloves.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jothel
    TwoOneFive said:
    Kraylor said: Fr0Br0 said: @rpommier: Deep down, I know boxing is in trouble. And it really makes me sad. I'm ... [more]
    Yeah, i mean look at Lyoto Machida, he doesnt know what he's doing at all standing up................................................................................../sarcasm
    rpommier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rpommier
    @TwoOneFive:  Very good points... I'll have to do some thinking on that.  Maybe it's that I just don't see the fanfare for boxing anymore.  When I was in the military we would pack the dayroom for every fight there was in the '90's.  We would watch George Forman on regular Thursday night fights and Tommy Morrison too.  Boxing just doesn't have the marketing push anymore. 
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By oraknabo

Arguing about whether a boxer could beat a MMA fighter is like trying to decide if your favorite soccer team could beat your favorite basketball team. I love boxing because its strategy element is as deep as the physical element and it has such a rich history. I can understand why people like MMA, but I just don't think it comes close to being a greater sport. Maybe it will mature over time into something as great.

Don't just judge boxing on its popularity. There's a lot to compete with in the world today. I think the 147-lb welterweight class has some of the best fighters boxing's ever seen right now. Eventually someone in MMA might emerge to be an Ali, Foreman, Johnson, Marciano, Dempsey, Whitaker, Leonard or Duran but the sport's too young to have produced anyone as good as any of those guys.

Ali was as important a cultural icon in the 60s as the Beatles.
    Johnson was for more than a decade "the most famous and the most notorious African-American on Earth."
    De La Hoya has defeated 17 world champions and has won 10 world titles in six different weight classes. He has also generated more money than any other boxer in the history of the sport.
    Even before his arrest and the ear incident, Tyson was famous enough to have songs and TV comedy skits based on him.
    Pacquiao is probably one of the most famous Filipinos in history and is one of his country's biggest cultural figures with his philanthropy and involvement in politics.
    Ali, Lamotta, Louis, Tyson,  Pacquiao, Graziano, Braddock and Johnson have all had movies made about their lives.

Tell me something about the top MMA guys.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive
    DarkPredatorUK said:
    TwoOneFive said: Kraylor said: Fr0Br0 said: @rpommier: Deep down, I know boxing is in trouble. And it really makes me ... [more]
    look man, if Floyd Mayweather actually went into MMA like he was thinking about doing, he would train his ass off for about year or two before he even did his first exhibition. 
    Now think about it, this guy has been boxing his entire life, and comes from a long line of great boxers, he himself is a legendary boxer. Training is really the only thing besides the real thing that he knows how to do in life. Not only would he be an MMA trainers dream, he would be such a fast learner. 
    Now consider how incredibly fast he is in a boxing ring. You don't think that would carry over into MMA? He also has devestating knock-out punches. You don't think that would carry over. 
    The only thing he would need to learn is all of the defensive stuff on the ground and the grappling in general. As long as he can weave his way out of the enemies hands, he could land some insane haymakers. obviously his opponents only goal would be to bring him on the ground, but who knows, maybe he would be well prepared and have a few tricks up his own sleeve on the ground! But you know damn straight that would frustrate the shit out of an intimidated opponent, one of which has more to prove than Mayweather himself, who is already a glorified, insanely rich athlete. His opponent is out to prove the same thing as him, that a top MMA fighter can stand toe to toe with a top boxer. Within seconds of an MMA fighter trying to box Mayweather, he would be crippled. 
    So really, the only question would be can a boxer learn enough wrestling/kick boxing/muay thai- etc.- to defend himself? I think that if you take into consideration the work ethic of boxings best, i'd say yes, its totally possible. Somebody like Mayweather or Pacquiao could easily, over a year or 2 of intense training, learn enough to stand in an MMA ring and fuck somebody up. I'm not sure if I could say the same the other way around. Its like when Ricky Hatton tried to learn how to fight against american style boxing.  too fast, too accurate.  mma fighters have some hard punchers, but none of them are as fast and accurate as mayweather or pacquiao
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Flushes

All I can add to this discussion is that there are MMA fighters that train very heavily in boxing technique as a striking style, and a few that are accomplished boxers, if only in an amateur capacity; Mirko Crocop comes to mind. While I realize that it's impossible to say which sport is "better," there should be no argument that MMA athletes are better fighters in the purest sense of the word, having far more rounded skill sets that often overlap those of boxers. If a boxer were to enter MMA competition in a serious capacity, I don't doubt that they would be very dangerous strikers, but faced with an opponent who has trained in BJJ or amateur wrestling since childhood, a boxer who has trained in ground technique only by necessity would need to be very careful. Realistically, I don't think an excellent boxer can aspire to much more than a sprawl-and-brawl style with unusally accurate striking. Time will tell though, I suppose, as it probably won't be long before a notable and skilled enough boxer makes the jump.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RsistncE
    @Fr0Br0: Don't know what world you live in but by measurement heavyweights like Randy Couture hit a fair bit harder than boxers. MMA is far less "primitive" than boxing. Boxing is just two guys punching each other in the head over and over. MMA on the other hand involves a LOT of strategy...because if you catch a heavy blow you're done. Throw into the fact that boxing is one discipline while MMA can be literally hundreds...well you can decide who the smarter or less primitive of the two is.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE
    @TwoOneFive: I'm not gonna insult you but I am going to say you clearly don't understand MMA if you think it isn't as deep as boxing or if you honestly think victory by submission is "boring".
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive
    RsistncE said:
    @TwoOneFive: I'm not gonna insult you but I am going to say you clearly don't understand MMA if you think ... [more]
    nobody said it wasn't as deep. and clearly you just skipped over what i said, because i clearly stated i know how complicated the sport is, and said that it is actually one of is negatives. So many people dislike watching mma simply because its such a tough thing to get into, at least in boxing you know whats going on (im talking about newcomers to the sport, people who flip through the channels, see MMA, and think, wow, this world is going down the shitter for sure). i for one completely understand MMA, as i have said, a close friend of mine is amateur right now, and he got me really into the sport i love it. but seriously, even MMA experts would agree (as i have heard them on tv saying numerous times), there is nothing more exciting than a knockout. submissions are exciting, but not even close to a fucking knock out. sorry, it just isn't. don't even try to argue that. Submissions just make you think, holy shit he got him oh no its over....meh. fuckin submissions man, let the guy get up and fight like a man. think about it, kicking someone in the balls is a submission move, is it not?
    circaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By circaender
    @TwoOneFive:

The way you talk about MMA tells me you know little to NOTHING about the sport. To say that boxing is the "Sweet Science" is rediculous. You can take a dumb ass and turn him into a great boxer (Mike Tyson) ... All the great MMA fighters are also very smart people.. there is way more to deal with.. all a boxer has to do is watch out for punches, in 12oz gloves... That also wabble the brain.... They also get knocked out and as long as they get up by the 10 count they get back in there... Which has done well for some of the greats...i mean.. most of them cant think straight...

Also.. A boxer at a high level would have a lot of trouble going into MMA, the way they stand in boxing just doesnt work in MMA, leg kicks and take downs effect this. The power would not be the same...they would have to learn to REALLY defend themselves since they would no longer have 12oz gloves to defend them. 

MMA is a young sport..but i have seen things in MMA that make Boxing look like a  pussy sport... The only thing i give a damn about in a boxing match is the knock out..

and before you say submissions are boring have someone put you in an Armbar or Triangle... cause if fucking sucks.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive
    circaender said:
    @TwoOneFive: The way you talk about MMA tells me you know little to NOTHING about the sport. To say that ... [more]
    yeah i know it sucks. its still a boring way to end a match. its like, woops, he slipped, okay, hes going to GIVE UP. wow. what an ending. 

pussy sport?

don't tell me you're one of those douchebag MMA fanboys who act like boxing sucks. please. 
    i love both sports. 
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By keyhunter

UFC is really making martial arts look bad and I can't even stand to watch it on TV, but from what I've seen the game is better than FNR4. It's lacking the 'punch' round 3 had...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE
    @TwoOneFive: haha, "MMA experts". Well the "MMA expert" at Island MMA where I train would disagree with you. Maybe to the viewer it's about the spectacle, but MMA'ers are athletes, we fight (hesitant to say "we" since I don't fight competitively) for the pure sport, be it ground game, or stand up. Regardless you can believe what you want I guess. Boxing was great and it was only this popular because MMA wasn't all that legal in NA. Now with it legalized and more and more states/provinces allowing it, it's only a matter of time before Boxing becomes the niche/gentlemans sport it once was, why? People want blood, which is unfortunate and MMA apparently provides more of it than boxing. The truth of the matter is if a death sport were allowed people would migrate to that away from MMA because it's one step closer to the barbarism people want to watch but not actually be a part of.
    circaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By circaender
    @TwoOneFive:
    Im not saying Boxing sucks..im saying that I cant sit through a boxing match. 

Also, I was thinking about it... Boxing has one maybe two big shows a year.. compare that to the UFC alone and it makes boxing look like its slowly fading.. 
    Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

hard to beat a satisfying hey-maker connecting. POW! right in the kisser!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'd like to see a boxer put against Anderson Silva or Fedor, I think it would be a fair match then.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fr0br0
    @circaender said:
    " @TwoOneFive:

The way you talk about MMA tells me you know little to NOTHING about the sport. To say that boxing is the "Sweet Science" is rediculous. You can take a dumb ass and turn him into a great boxer (Mike Tyson) ... All the great MMA fighters are also very smart people.. there is way more to deal with.. all a boxer has to do is watch out for punches, in 12oz gloves... That also wabble the brain.... They also get knocked out and as long as they get up by the 10 count they get back in there... Which has done well for some of the greats...i mean.. most of them cant think straight...

Also.. A boxer at a high level would have a lot of trouble going into MMA, the way they stand in boxing just doesnt work in MMA, leg kicks and take downs effect this. The power would not be the same...they would have to learn to REALLY defend themselves since they would no longer have 12oz gloves to defend them. 

MMA is a young sport..but i have seen things in MMA that make Boxing look like a  pussy sport... The only thing i give a damn about in a boxing match is the knock out..

and before you say submissions are boring have someone put you in an Armbar or Triangle... cause if fucking sucks.

"
    *Sigh* This is exactly what is wrong with this generation. "Boxing is too boring. I want some kicking. Gloves are for pussies." Have any of you watched a boxing match when it was at it's prime? I'm talking about a REAL Cassius Clay fight. Look at Sugar Rey Leonard fight and tell me he doesn't use strategy. Boxing is nothing, but strategy. It isn't a game about who can hit harder. It's a battle of wits. It's about who can use as much stamina as they can to absorb a punch an have enough strength to deliver a punch back. And a real boxer doesn't just throw punches at random. It's all about reading the opponent. Getting into their head to figure out how they block, what type of punches can get through that block. If you don't make strategy your biggest asset in a boxing match, you will get knocked the fuck out.

And the reason boxers wear gloves is so nobody gets killed. Try having a "wanna be" MMA fighter hit that hard.
    DarkPredatorUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarkPredatorUK
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    "
    @circaender said:

Try having a "wanna be" MMA fighter hit that hard. "
    Go watch Drew McFedries last fight at UFC 98 before talking about heavy hands...

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fr0br0
    @DarkPredatorUK said:
    "
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    "
    @circaender said:

Go watch Drew McFedries last fight at UFC 98 before talking about heavy hands... "
    Go watch ANY Mike Tyson fight before you compare the two sports.
    DarkPredatorUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DarkPredatorUK
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    "
    @DarkPredatorUK said:
    "
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    "
    @circaender said:

Go watch Drew McFedries last fight at UFC 98 before talking about heavy hands... "
    Go watch ANY Mike Tyson fight before you compare the two sports. "
    Did i say  "Go watch Drew McFedries last fight at UFC 98 before talking about heavy hands and boxers are weak "?

No i did not, i was simply stating that its not only Boxing that has hard hitters with one punch K.O power. Its common sense that tyson was a monster but dont take my comments out of context...

DarkPredatorUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DarkPredatorUK

Anyone hear Jeff on this weeks bombcast?

case closed!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.