Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 17, 2014

The third major installment of the Street Fighter IV legacy adds characters and stages from Street Fighter X Tekken, a brand new fighter, new gameplay mechanics (including the ability to bring both Ultra Combos into the fight), and a variety of balance tweaks, training enhancements, and new modes.

Help a scrub get better at USF4?

JSMasamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm pretty shit a Street Fighter. Looking for some dudes who maybe are on the same boat, or are experts, who are willing to help out a little, in any way they can.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Stop Jumping

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Learn spacing, learn the other characters, practice combos and execution.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jsmasamune: don't be afraid to lose... Hope your still playing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Pick Top Tier.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Use an arcadestick or fight pad.

practice your quick dashes,cancels and focus rushes (that's what i call absorbing an attack but dashing forward for a good combo).

Fight against every character with your favs to know the best match up, for instances DeCapre is vulnerable to neutral jumps.

Footsies suck! use it well.

Heavy attacks are the most punishable so use them to finish most combos.

It's cheap but as so as an opponent is down use a focus but only when you're close enough but grapplers can get you before you release.

Mix up the builds for your favourite characters, Ken in Street Fighter IV Vanilla build is more swift, IMO.

bson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bson

Check this video tutorial out, it's quite lengthy but good for beginners!

Loading Video...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Already your calling yourself names so your not going to be productive that way, take every match as a learning experience. Practice with friends who are the same skill level as you. Take notice of the range, priority of your standard moves. Don't rely too much on ultra moves, just focus on what works.

You will probably become better when you start to realize you can trick someone into falling into a trap. That's when your ready to be a better fighter when you started from. The mind game aspect is a top tier skill level, only a few games like Dive Kick explain this well.

TopLeftCenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started a month and a half ago, sometime around then I watched this video and found it very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5xs1lkcMlI

I feel like a lot of the progress I made came from the advice he gave. It gives you the bare essentials of playing defensively without overwhelming you with excess information. It's not the most flashy or entertaining way to play the game, but it will give you a solid feel for the flow of the game. Maybe more importantly it will give you experience on having a gameplan and deliberately using your moves to carry out that plan instead of simply doing what seems like a good idea at the time. After following this for a week or two I found myself in a much better situation. When I played against poor players I knew how to beat them even if I couldn't always make it happen, and when I played against good players I knew why they were winning and learned from my mistakes. I've been branching out since then and generally having a very good time playing this game, and I'm now able to compete reasonably well when I go online.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gokaired said:

It's cheap but as so as an opponent is down use a focus but only when you're close enough but grapplers can get you before you release.

I would probably advise against doing this, or use it very sparingly when you think you have a read on the opponent. It was a tactic employed when SF4 came out but it's very risky and most people won't fall for it any more.

Joe_Monday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of avenues you can take to become better at USF4 or fighting games in general. Practice will always pay off but at the same time there are ways to practice that are more efficient than others. Simply getting bodied in random ranked won't be as helpful as running long sets against a more skilled opponent who is talking you through the matchup at the same time. If you don't have the ability to go to locals there are some online resources that can help you out.

In my opinion these are the best two sites for easing new players into the game, check em out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/ - Ask any question in the daily threads or just browse through the wiki. Full disclosure, I'm a mod on this sub but can attest that it's a very beginner friendly environment.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/ - Loads of historical and up to date information. This is the deep end of information. Most everything you'd want to find can be found here but you'll need to dig it up.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@l1ghtn1n: Thank you for being so thorough, I usually hop into these discussions to see what advice people have for those looking to get into fighting games (I'm still a bit of a scrub). Are the tactics used in street fighter fairly universal? My friends enjoy the Arc Sys games but I find them a little overwhelming to step into.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@cat_herder: with regards to 2D fighters at least, yes, there is plenty of overlap with the base mechanics (spacing/footsies, move canceling, fireballs/projectiles, "50/50 mixups" to name a few). Anime-fighters are just really fucking fast with them and sometimes throw a few extra mechanics on top (air dashing, xfactor burst/cancelling, extra meters for certain characters), but if you can build up the base then figuring out these extra factors should be easier. At least it was for me.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, found this guy recently when I got back into SFIV and his advice is great. Also, thank you, @l1ghtn1n, for all the info up there.

@kjebka said:

I started a month and a half ago, sometime around then I watched this video and found it very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5xs1lkcMlI

I feel like a lot of the progress I made came from the advice he gave. It gives you the bare essentials of playing defensively without overwhelming you with excess information. It's not the most flashy or entertaining way to play the game, but it will give you a solid feel for the flow of the game. Maybe more importantly it will give you experience on having a gameplan and deliberately using your moves to carry out that plan instead of simply doing what seems like a good idea at the time. After following this for a week or two I found myself in a much better situation. When I played against poor players I knew how to beat them even if I couldn't always make it happen, and when I played against good players I knew why they were winning and learned from my mistakes. I've been branching out since then and generally having a very good time playing this game, and I'm now able to compete reasonably well when I go online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.