Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 17, 2014

The third major installment of the Street Fighter IV legacy adds characters and stages from Street Fighter X Tekken, a brand new fighter, new gameplay mechanics (including the ability to bring both Ultra Combos into the fight), and a variety of balance tweaks, training enhancements, and new modes.

Just picking a character? Pick the character's version too!

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Ummmmm, well this was just announced

So, in Ultra Street Fighter IV, you will be able to select which version of character you want now. This means you can use Vanilla Sagat against Arcade Edition Yun. This is kinda nuts.

What do you guys think? It's obviously going to be a secondary option for online play (If it even is an online feature) but this is pretty big news.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Didn't they do something similar for some version of Street Fighter 2? In any case, tier lists just got that much more complicated.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Didn't they do something similar for some version of Street Fighter 2? In any case, tier lists just got that much more complicated.

I have to imagine that there's going to be some sort of tournament rule limiting the eligible editions.

But good lord, online is going to be an absolute zoo.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I have to imagine that there's going to be some sort of tournament rule limiting the eligible editions.

There is no way a tournament would allow something like Akuma's roundhouse loops or the wrath of Sagat.

Online will be weird, that's for sure.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Bane122

@arbitrarywater: Yep, in Hyper Street Fighter 2 you could pick between all of the versions of each character.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I've missed you Vanilla Seth. Mama I'm comin' home.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting, though as a street fighter novice I'm probably going to stick with whatever is the newest version of every character I play.

And the character select screen does not include the secret 5th character... it's Mike Haggar. We all know it is... just... confirm it so I can stop wishing for any Darkstalkers character to cameo.

Really looking forward to Ultra Street Fighter 4.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@therealmoot: they already said is a girl and mike haggar was the first one to be completly denied

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Me want that Vanilla damage.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

blah, this is why I didn't enjoy Alpha 3 and Capcom VS SNK 2.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing you'll be able to pick whether you want to play with just the Ultra changes or this free for all mode. Previous games had a version select so it might be something like that, or maybe a seperate mode like Heroes and Heralds in umvc3.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By expensiveham

@hailinel said:

This is going to be a different mode. There is no way they would put this into regular online battles.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

@hailinel said:

@viciousbearmauling said:

This is going to be a different mode. There is no way they would put this into regular online battles.

I really hope you're right. I was gonna get the Steam version, but if this is in the regular online mode then forget it.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@l33t_haxor said:

@expensiveham said:

@hailinel said:

@viciousbearmauling said:

I really hope you're right. I was gonna get the Steam version, but if this is in the regular online mode then forget it.

That would be incredibly stupid. The trailer is even making fun of how unbalanced some characters used to be.

Here is a japanese blog post that goes into more detail on the mode: http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/saikyo_blog/2014/03/03_7725.html the post explains that edition select is offline-only content.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Awesome. This is a really sweet addition.

Or should I say... edition?

HIGH-RULE!!??

Obviously not used in competitive play guys, come on. Sheesh.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@expensiveham: There was no way that this would be the default for online matches. Seeing that it's offline only is kind of a bummer I would have liked it to be an option to select when playing online. Otherwise why would they even bother balancing the characters for USFIV. Take the case of Cammy for example. Everyone would have just picked AE Cammy instead of going with her nerfed new version.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was super hyped for this when I heard about it last night watching socal regionals. It was pretty much the only thing that could have gotten me excited for USF4 and something I suggested for a long time. But I've just now read that it will be disabled for online play, which is the only way I can play. So hype levels go straight back to zero.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Sooty

I was super hyped for this when I heard about it last night watching socal regionals. It was pretty much the only thing that could have gotten me excited for USF4 and something I suggested for a long time. But I've just now read that it will be disabled for online play, which is the only way I can play. So hype levels go straight back to zero.

Still a chance it'll be added as a separate mode for online play, Ultra isn't out until June and Capcom have added modes post-release in the past. (UMvC3, vanilla IV)

I'm not too bothered myself, it'll be fun to see some exhibition matches of O.Sagat vs. AE Yun and so on, but it's not make or break.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.