Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Do you need to play the original first to get a full experience?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I finally got a PS3 today (Just ordered it on Amazon, it'll be here tomorrow!) and with it I bought InFAMOUS.  Anyways, the next game on my list of games I have to play is Uncharted 2, so I was wondering - do I need to play the original Uncharted to catch a reference, have characters more fleshed out, or understand the story better?  I don't have a particular interest in playing the first game (I've heard about bullet-sponge enemies being bad in the game, which I hate, and there are a lot more games I would rather play), so unless it has some importance in the second game, I probably won't buy it until I get the rest of the exclusives I've been looking forward to.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Interfect

I only played the demo of the first. But everybody knows Drake is badass and Sully is a dirty old man.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Character wise it does allow you some time to get to understand them more and there's also plenty of insider jokes in U2 referencing situations and character quirks from the original. All in all...play the original first.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Binman88

There's a bit of a love triangle thing going on which I guess you would be more clued in on if you played Drake's Fortune, and most of the characters in the second were, I assume, properly introduced in the first, but I didn't play the first one and still loved the second.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Alphazero

I only played the 2nd and had no trouble keeping up with the story. One of the best games ever. Amazing set pieces.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BionicMonster

all of the characters in uncharted 2 are as easy to immediatly understand as any summer blockbuster characters.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, looks like that will be the next game I get then (the original).  Thanks duders!

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

You will understand and appreciate more if you play the first game. I think you should!

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Steve_C
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Character wise it does allow you some time to get to understand them more and there's also plenty of insider jokes in U2 referencing situations and character quirks from the original. All in all...play the original first. "
    This. I also think the bullet sponge problem was overblown. If all else you can just turn down the difficulty.

So yes, play it. It's worth experiencing.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

There are definitely some in-jokes in Uncharted 2 that refer back to the original game.  They are not in any way integral to the story of U2. 

The first Uncharted is a fantastic game and is definitely worth playing.  I think the bullet sponginess of Uncharted's enemies has been a bit exaggerated.  Give it a try and if you're terribly offended by it, just switch to an easier difficulty.  Problem solved.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#11  Edited By tearhead

I would recommend playing the first if only to get a feel for the characters. All the experience that will be missed is in character development, especially with Sully, since he isn't as prominent a figure as he was in the first. An example of what you'll be missing out is someone saying "Who is this?" (referring to a character from the first game), and Nate replaying "Uhhh... it's a long story, we have some history" or something like that. If you play the first you will know that "history" but if that doesn't bother you, just play the 2nd game.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MancombSeepgood

I didn't play the original and still thoroughly enjoyed the second. I think the only thing I'd have gained by playing the first is knowledge of the characters before they showed up.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By fwylo

no

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By buzz_killington

No, but the first one is so awesome you would be missing out if you have a PS3 and don't play it.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I have not played the first yet. The characters are so well developed in Uncharted 2 that you get a feel for them quickly, and I don't recall any references to the first game that confused me.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60

I got near the ending of Uncharted 1 before I started Uncharted 2, and my PS3 messed up and I had to format my hard-drive, so I said fuck it to replaying Uncharted 1.

secretagent099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By secretagent099

Yes you do. I would imagine UC2 alot less enjoyable if I had not played the first, mostly due to the storyline.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Deusoma

I'd certainly say so.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By themartyr

I think in all forms of entertainment, it pays to have covered all your bases. I have never been able to just jump into a franchise without working my way from game 1 to the current release. 

You'll have a better grasp of the story, and be more comfortable with the characters and setting after playing the first. Plus, if you enjoy it, it means that after you finish, you have at least one whole new game to get into. Better still, when you buy older games, they cost next to nothing. 

I bought Bioshock this week with the intentions of moving to Bioshock 2 sometime in the near future. Living years behind everyone else rocks, haha.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Valames

Very literally to get the "full" experience you will need to play the first game. But to have a great experience you won't. My girlfriend never played the first one and she played through the second. She loved the story, was never confused or lost, and thought it was great.

AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AdH0c

I played the second without playing the first and I loved the game. (it was my game of the year last year). But looking at the other posts here then it sound like the 1st is just worth picking up as well (it also must be cheap to buy now). The only thing I would recommend is to play inFamous first as the gun controls are similar (left top bumper to aim right top bumper to shoot) and inFamous is a little more forgiving.

EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EvolutionX0

I don't think that the stories relate to each other. So unless you want to know more about the main characters, just play the second one. but don't get me wrong uncharted 1 is still a blast to play even now after playing uncharted 2.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bionicicide

The first had enemy thriller slides and vehicle levels (favorite parts) not seen in the second.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.