Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

How long does this game take to get going?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

The entire opening sequence when you're guiding Drake up the train and through the snow absolutely fucking bored me to tears, to the point that I turned it off and played a different game. 

My question is: how long does this take to get going? Moving Drake very slowly through the snow isn't exactly the best way to rope in a new person to the series, especially when I know I can't possibly die unless I jump off the mountain.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

Hmm I thought the opening sequence was a prime example of why uncharted 2 got so much attention and love. If it doesn't float your boat then maybe it just isn't a game for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you have ADHD? I mean the sequence isn't even 10 minutes long.

And I think it is a great opening sequence, so Uncharted 2 might not be for you. If want non-stop action then you could check Uncharted 3, but the series isn't really for you at all then.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By devilzrule27

If you don't like general platforming then you should not play this game. There are lots of sequences where you are just climbing. Perhaps you should go play an FPS.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By handlas

....if you didn't like the first sequence then the game is gonna go downhill for you from there. Sell it.

I feel sorta the same way. I got Uncharted 3 and haven't been compelled to play it beyond the first couple of hours. I beat Uncharted 2. There's, obviously, amazing set pieces but the lack of feeling challenged doesn't do it for me.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm
    @laserbolts@Village_Guy@devilzrule27:  

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I just might shelve this game for awhile and come back to it. I bought some other games that I'll give a go-around on first.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By kashif1

After the snow sequence there is a long stealth sequence, your pretty far from any of the crazy action stuff.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

Man, seriously?? I thought that entire part was ace. It starts to open into the cover-based shooting pretty early on, when you hit Borneo, but before that there's a mandatory stealth section that most people apparently despised--though I personally had no issue with it. It's all designed so tightly, with the guards always in the exact positions you'd want them to be, that you shouldn't find yourself being discovered over and over anything; it's essentially still apart of the tutorial more or less.

The bombastic set-pieces the series is known for don't start until Nepal, which is right after Borneo, and it only gets more ludicrous and wild from then on.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @Abyssfull: Still going to shelve it for awhile.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By EVO

Check your pulse. Anyone that isn't blown away by that opening sequence is dead inside.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By MayorFeedback

Let me get this straight: you're bummed that your character, after barely surviving a massive train crash and obviously losing a gallon of blood, isn't running at a full sprint? Might want to re-examine your expectations and maybe try to enjoy the story they're trying to tell.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm
    @EVO said:

Check your pulse. Anyone that isn't blown away by that opening sequence is dead inside.

If I want to be blown away by something I can't control, I'll watch Bad Boys II. 

@drhans said:

Let me get this straight: you're bummed that your character, after barely surviving a massive train crash and obviously losing a gallon of blood, isn't running at a full sprint? Might want to re-examine your expectations and maybe try to enjoy the story they're trying to tell.

You never see the crash, and he's just sitting in a seat? That doesn't make any sense. There's no thrill in surviving. You can't possibly die unless you just jump off the side of the mountain. Like I said, I'm going to shelve this for awhile. Might play Drake's Fortune first to get some more context.
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MayorFeedback

@Napalm: You don't think maybe, just MAYBE, the game might show you that crash in a little while? And that maybe, just MAYBE, the opening hour or so of the game (or ANY game this generation) is a tutorial? Do you want to die in the first five minutes? Like, you're not making sense. Play the game for a while and let it show you what it's trying to do rather than just assuming that it sucks because you can't die during the tutorial.

Not defending the game itself, I just can't wrap my head around the idea of playing a game for literally 5 minutes and assuming the rest of the game will be the same way. You really think Drake's going to stumble around bleeding in the snow for 10 hours and then it's over? You might as well have just stared at the title screen for a few minutes and called it a day. Give this game, like any game, a little bit of time to find out if it's your thing or not.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm
    @drhans: I might take you seriously if you decided to do something else than putting at least three straw men in your argument. Stop putting words in my mouth. My original question was already answered, so bugger off.
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By bed

@Napalm: there's no context to the train crash in Drake's Fortune. all 3 Uncharted games are pretty much standalone, as they're all different adventures.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Enigma777

@handlas said:

but the lack of feeling challenged doesn't do it for me.

Play that game on Hard or Crushing and tell me if you don't feel challenged then...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By handlas

the type of challenge where enemies take more damage and have perfect aim?....No.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MayorFeedback

@Napalm: Haha, all right, man, do your thing.

yellowjello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yellowjello

@Napalm said:

The entire opening sequence when you're guiding Drake up the train and through the snow absolutely fucking bored me to tears, to the point that I turned it off and played a different game. My question is: how long does this take to get going? Moving Drake very slowly through the snow isn't exactly the best way to rope in a new person to the series, especially when I know I can't possibly die unless I jump off the mountain.

God forbid you play for more than eight seconds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.