Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

This was my first PS3 game, I loved it. should i play the first?

renegadegd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By renegadegd

I'm a big 360 lover(that came out wrong). but i finally brought a ps3 and this was my first game for it.

I don't think iv played a game in such a long time that i have felt advanced game play and graphics so much.
    everything about this game was so epic. and is probably my new favorite game.

Should i go back to play uncharted 1 or will it sour my experience now that iv played this one? iv heard that this game is much superior.
    or what game should i try out next? i was thinking Heavy Rain or infamous .

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I'd go for Heavy Rain or InFamous.  Uncharted 1 is a great game but not as great as the second and when you go back you can tell.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RsistncE

DON'T. You'll be sorely disappointed after having played Uncharted 2. I suggest a different awesome Sony exclusive, such as InFamous, Metal Gear Solid 4 or God of War 3. There are others too of course. 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, uncharted 2 was my first PS3 game too. I actually didn't really want one until that game came out.

I'm not a fanboy of any system, having all the systems I think (PS3, XBOX, PC, WII). They each have good games. I tend to find more games I want to play on the xbox though so my PS3 collection is still small. Plus I'm broke lately. That'll change eventually though.

But ya, Uncharted 2 was definitely a system seller. Uncharted 1, i'm told (i haven't played it) isn't as good game play wise.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Gabriel

Yes, more Sully.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Marcsman

It's a good game. If you care about Drake's story then yes it is a must play.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunExplosions

Yeah Uncharted 1 is pretty much a quick run through very similar green environments, shooting way too many enemies - all of which are much harder than in Uncharted 2 - and of course, the frustrating lack of checkpoints doesn't help. Yes, it's a good game, but I also played Uncharted 2 first, and some parts of Uncharted 1 were just plain shitty.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By stinky

sounds like we are similar,  i'd try Metal Gear Solid 4.   
    has a fun story (very japanese) with great imagery.

Heavy Rain is interesting, if you can get it for $20 its worth trying out. 

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coaxmetal
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I agree with the people who said Metal Gear Solid 4.

or if you're looking for a challenge try Demon's Souls.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By nick_verissimo

it seems a lot of people here took a similar path. I also started out on the 360 and my brother and I got a PS3 for Christmas last year and this was the first game I played through.  It absolutely blew me away and once I found the first game I was extremely excited to jump back in.  Although it's a pretty good game, it's nowhere close to being as good the 2nd game turned out. At first glance, the game looks sort of ugly after you've played through Uncharted 2, but in relative terms, most games do.  The gameplay isn't as tight and the shooting/jumping sections are less interesting than 2, but I'd say that the story was pretty close in quality to the 2nd game.  It's definitely worth checking out (it's not very long) and you can probably find it in the bargain bin at this point. Hell, we all need something to hold us over for a couple years until the 3rd game comes out, so you might as well get your fix in eventually.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By benjaebe

For story yeah, for gameplay no. It's kind of like going back to play Persona 3 after beating Persona 4. The story might still be great, but they've made too many gameplay improvements to really enjoy it as much.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Venatio

Yes you should, it's a great game, the second one is alot better but the first one is worth playing, plus it's cheap now

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coaxmetal

Also, yea, MGS4 all the way. I liked that game better than Uncharted 2 or Infamous. Not sure how well MGS4 would play if you don't know the story of the other games thuogh. (It might play great, as I said, don't know. I watched LP's of the other games before playing it).

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I've noticed a real negative opinion on the first game over the years even though I remember a fairly positive buzz on release.  

Anyway I loved it, and its definitely worthy of a purchase. Oh, and I have revisited it after playing 2 and I agree that it doesn't feel as polished or complete as the second game, but then a sequel is expected to improve on the predecessor isn't it? (If it hadn't improved and built on on the original it wouldn't have done as well as it did...Crackdown 2 anyone?)

renegadegd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By renegadegd

is it possible for me to enjoy mgs4 without knowing anything much about it? i played the very first one. but i don't remember a thing. it just sounds like that game references a lot of its past.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By EVO
    @Renegadegd said:
    " Should i go back to play uncharted 1 or will it sour my experience now that iv played this one? iv heard that this game is much superior "
    Just because Uncharted 2 is superior doesn't make Uncharted 1 a bad game. Shit, Uncharted 2 is superior to most games. You'd be an idiot not to play the first.

After that, play Heavy Rain.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gabriel
    @Renegadegd said:
    " is it possible for me to enjoy mgs4 without knowing anything much about it? i played the very first one. but i don't remember a thing. it just sounds like that game references a lot of its past. "
    You need to play all the console Metal Gear games in order to enjoy it fully, especially 2.
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Xanth93

Uncharted 1 is a great game, but the gameplay of Uncharted 2 is so much better that you might be disappointed with the gameplay of Uncharted 1.

I approve of MGS4, inFAMOUS, and Demon's Souls. Throw LittleBigPlanet on that list.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PokeIkzai

Uncharted 1 is brilliant but see the problem is you've already experienced Uncharted 2. They made a lot of gameplay tweaks that worked out very well and Uncharted 1 ends up feeling maybe a little dated. It's still great, though.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By imsh_pl

It depends on your situation.

If you just have some money to spend on a game, I'd advise you to go for a different one since U2 is pretty much superior
    to U1. Buy infamous/God of War 3/some other awesome PS3 title (PM me if you'd like me to share some of my favourite titles with you).

If you're just curious about the story, I'd say go for it. I liked U1 very much and it's an awesome game altogether.

Also, listen to the guy who made the Persona reference. I couldn't put it better.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Jayross

My PS3 I ordered should arrive this week, I plan on playing the first Uncharted, then play Uncharted 2.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

No, the first game is mostly is unforgetable.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By Yummylee
    @Gabriel said:
    " Yes, more Sully. "
    !!!
    sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By sopachuco13

If you liked this game as much as it sounds like, I would definitely go back and play the first game. The second game is better for many reasons, but that doesn't take away from how good the first game really was. I have played through the first game two times and I want to play it through a third time to get my last Trophy. 

I don't think your experience will be worse for playing the first game. 

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By nukesniper

I loved Uncharted 1, though I did play it before I played 2. I still think it is pretty awesome, but I know you will like the cutscenes more than you like the gameplay in it. It is not a bad game, they just ironed out a bunch of things in the sequel.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jasta

Uncharted 2 is definitely the better game by leaps and bounds. The first is by no means unplayable though, you should give it a shot.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DonPixel
    @Renegadegd
    I'm a big 360 lover(that came out wrong). but i finally brought a ps3 and this was my first game for it.

I don't think iv played a game in such a long time that i have felt advanced game play and graphics so much.
    everything about this game was so epic. and is probably my new favorite game.

Should i go back to play uncharted 1 or will it sour my experience now that iv played this one? iv heard that this game is much superior.
    or what game should i try out next? i was thinking Heavy Rain or infamous .
    it's like 20 dlls nowadays .. why wouldn't ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.