Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted 2's lack of an install

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bald3rdash

(A little unconfirmed but taken to be true information)  I've seen that the reason that PS3 games sometimes require an install is because the Blu-ray drive is slower than a DVD drive, so when loading game assets it's more convenient to put some resources on the hard drive.  Makes sense, right?  

Taking this into account (or somebody inform me otherwise and I'll shutup), why is it that a very pretty game like Uncharted 2 doesn't need an install?  I just realized it when looking at my PS3 game data when deleting some demos.  The game only loads once while playing the single player mode, and that's just the initial load.  Anybody able to glean any info as to why so many other (and let's face it, less hardware-intensive) games require an install while U2 does not?        Thanks!

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By warxsnake

it depends on the engine and how it's set up to stream textures, geometry, etc. For Uncharted 2 not to have an install (finished the game), it means that the engine is highly effective at streaming textures and assets in and out of the PS3's limited and split memory (256+256 MB), as well as the offloading of post processing and graphics instructions onto the Cell cores and not the RSX uniquely. It's so effective that sometimes the visuals suffer from it, as I've seen a whole lot of texture mipmapping and popping (aka Unreal Engine 3 syndrome), which is nit-picky stuff. Most of the time, it doesn't take much for an object's texture LODs to load, but some particular cases stood out, for example a metallic crate that i took cover behind which took something like a full minute to stream its textures, so i was in cover behind this blurry object for all that time until it loaded the full resolution texture. again, nitpicky stuff.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Hmmm... I think it does make an install the first time you put it in, it just doesn't tell you what its doing, but I'll have to check.

@warxsnake:  I haven't seen any texture pop-in in Uncharted 2, but I saw tons in 1.

edit - just checked, Uncharted 2 only creates a 27MB file, probably for online data / patches.

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bald3rdash

Ahh, see I'm playing on a pretty crappy tv and haven't noticed any pop-in, while when I play Gears 2 I see entire blocks of white when I turn around.   So pretty much, Uncharted 2 is just running on a badass engine - with the occasional hiccup?  Thanks for the info, good to know!

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By warxsnake
    @Diamond said:

" Hmmm... I think it does make an install the first time you put it in, it just doesn't tell you what its doing, but I'll have to check.

@warxsnake:  I haven't seen any texture pop-in in Uncharted 2, but I saw tons in 1. "

weird, I saw and noticed it everywhere, especially in key areas where the player has a huge FOV over a huge set-piece. (which is why you don't see that amount of set-pieces in most other games, they tend to avoid that and constrain you to corridors as much as possible so you don't look at a ton of assets at the same time). I'm guessing (no idea) but probably Uncharted 2 engine has dynamically loaded assets based on field of view and visual obstruction/culling, which is one of Cryengine 2's main features as well.  

edit: yeah maybe the fact that i play ps3 games way up close on a 24" monitor helps in seeing pop-ins and other "bad" visual effects" 

No Caption Provided
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Diamond
    @warxsnake said:
    weird, I saw and noticed it everywhere, especially in key areas where the player has a huge FOV over a huge set-piece. (which is why you don't see that amount of set-pieces in most other games, they tend to avoid that and constraint you to corridors as much as possible so you don't look at a ton of assets at the same time). I'm guessing (no idea) but probably Uncharted 2 engine has dynamically loaded assets based on field of view and visual obstruction/culling, which is one of Cryengine 2's main features as well.
    I definitely saw some polygon culling in parts.  Never noticed textures being loaded but I agree they're probably there.  Uncharted 2 has the benefit of being fairly linear and there's a good deal of occlusion, and they can probably cull it very easily.
    klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By klownboots

I have yet to see texture popping. I saw it once in the multiplayer beta, but have not seen it in the game and I am currently on my second play through (holy cow crushing is just brutal).

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Quacktastic
    @warxsnake: 
    Your disk drive might need cleaning, I only had it happen once at the very end of the game (and a long day of spinning the drive) - clothing texture went flat for about 20 seconds and that actually made me realize how little pop-in I was seeing.  Maybe you skipped a bunch of cut-scenes? I think there is a lot of streaming happening underneath them.

As for the lack of an install, I wish all games at least had an optional install.  If I could give U2 like two gigs to get rid of the initial load I would do it.  I've got a ton of space.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai
    @warxsnake: While I do agree with you on the texture popping as I have seen them myself, they are not nearly as bad as the Unreal 3 engine. For some reason texture popping is a major issue with that engine as all the  games I played that use that engine suffer from that problem. The only game I played (so far) that used the unreal engine and did not have any texture popping was Batman: Arkham Asylum. There was only one time throughout that whole game that I saw an object without any textures to it. I also heard Bioware saying they eliminated that problem and Mass Effect 2 will no texture popping at all.  

I also read an interview with Insomniac and they said that with Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crank In TIme, they will have a sort of a prologue movie to explain what happened in the previous games while the game installs on the background so I think we'll see a lot of developers going that route.  

I know you work in the game industry so do you have any idea why the Unreal Engine 3  laggy with texture popping and why it took that long to solve that problem?
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mhkjtha

I'm guessing the envoiroments don't stream. Although that could be wrong, i dont know how big the envoiroments are in the game

also i dont get people complaining about texture popping in ue3. ive never had that problem in any ue3 game (note that i play them all on the pc)

Csaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Csaint

I'm almost done with the game, and haven't had any textures popping what so ever. Add that to the no-installation thingy, makes this game's engine one of the most efficient and well polished engine I've experienced, in like, ever.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warxsnake
    @Quacktastic said:

" @warxsnake:  Your disk drive might need cleaning, I only had it happen once at the very end of the game (and a long day of spinning the drive) - clothing texture went flat for about 20 seconds and that actually made me realize how little pop-in I was seeing.  Maybe you skipped a bunch of cut-scenes? I think there is a lot of streaming happening underneath them. As for the lack of an install, I wish all games at least had an optional install.  If I could give U2 like two gigs to get rid of the initial load I would do it.  I've got a ton of space. "

Skip Uncharted's cutscenes?? never!

@Mordukai said:

" @warxsnake: I know you work in the game industry so do you have any idea why the Unreal Engine 3  laggy with texture popping and why it took that long to solve that problem? "

Pretty simple, the unreal engine's texture and mesh streaming capabilities, compounded with the extremely limited vram memory available in either console (xbox360 512MB shared | PS3 256 vert, 256 textures) compared to PC video cards with 1GB, 2GB of shared memory space, plus system memory (1GB,2GB,4GB). If UE3 wasnt streaming on the fly, you'd have loading screens at every section of the map and before and after map-dividing-corridors, same with uncharted.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Baillie

On the back of the box it says it installs 1GB. I as waiting for it, but no. Weird.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

only texture pop-ins i noticed were when i brought up Drakes journal and even that only happened occasionally.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By MetalGearSunny

There's no install? Weird, considering that this game looks fucking amazing compared to other titles that do involve an install (I'm looking at you inFamous).

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MeierTheRed

As far as i can tell there is no install going on, if so the game places it in a weird location on the drive. Normally when a game installs data its showed in the "Game Data Utility". But uncharted file in there is only 311Kb which is next to nothing compared to some games that install around 2-4GB of data.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It streams textures directly from blue ray therefore there is no real need for installs. Ps3 games rarely texture streams because decoding textures on the fly is sort of difficult with a slow drive and a 356mb gpu. I've seen a few pop ins like once or twice from the mountains for texture streaming. Also loading a level from your last save takes about 30 seconds. Really more ps3 exclusives should texture stream and not use installions imo.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @Baillie said:
    " On the back of the box it says it installs 1GB. I as waiting for it, but no. Weird. "
    Uncharted 2 uses 1GB as a temporary cache when the game's in play. When you quit the game, the data is erased.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Diamond
    @Abyssfull said:
    only texture pop-ins i noticed were when i brought up Drakes journal and even that only happened occasionally.
    yea I finally saw some pop in there, I didn't even know you could pull up the journal at any time before.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

It's the way it is developed I assume. Naughty Dog have a seperate team who just work on getting the most out of the Playstation 3's hardware.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slippy

IIRC it uses a lot of hard drive cache'ing and has loading hidden behind cutscenes.
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By evanbrau

It really is an amazingly impressive game graphically. I played through the first again last week and it was full of texture pop in and other weird graphical glitches. I've noticed texture pop in one or two spots in the U2 and a few other tiny things (Chloe and Elena climbing a ladder simultaneously and clipping into each other) but other than that its incredibly nice to look at and play.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By KingBroly

The "install" is a cache that deletes itself when you turn the game off.  Also, Uncharted 2, like Uncharted before it runs on quite possibly the best engine on the PS3.  That being said, I'd really like if Naughty Dog would allow for an optional install on their future releases, and if possible a patch for Uncharted 2, because it'd make my disc drive work less.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By jkz

Because Naughty Dog is very good at optimizing hardware. They also have the benefit of only having to develop for one platform. They're a great developer, and although they can be a little over-congratulatory of both themselves and the PS3, they really do make good use of hardware. They manage to offload a lot of the processing that is generally done by the gpc (or whatever the term is for consoles), allowing it to deal with the insane levels detail that was layered over and over itself. I'm no tech guru, but that's the general gist of what I got. Still, feel free to correct me someone who knows more about this. I tend not to know much about the console pipeline.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Uncharted 1 used the same techinques a highly comprehensive cache *in the original game i believe verged on 2 gigs* is loaded and continuely loaded throughout the game.
    There is a near 30 second load time at the at, and during the beginning  of the game, this is where a majority of the major most common used assets in the games are loaded onto the hard drive.
    The game loads information from the disc and hard drive at all times regardless of place in the game, often cacheing data 5 minutes in the future that would be needed.

Uncharted 2 uses the same technique the hard drive and disc are constantly being used even when the game is just sitting there, information being loaded, The cache can swell quite large, I dont have the article but one source ill look for in a bit says that the cache can grow to around 4 gigs on uncharted 1, one would have to assume the same can be said of uncharted 2.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Jackel2072

if you notice though, the game takes forever to load up in the beginning, but after that you never really see a loading screen. its seamless

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee
    @Jackel2072:
    The loadings are pretty long in general i think. Like when loading a game and especially when waiting for a multiplayer game to start. 

Its not so mucha problem since loading times are infrequent but then show up they certaintly like to stick around.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dbz1995
    @warxsnake said:
    " @Diamond said:

" Hmmm... I think it does make an install the first time you put it in, it just doesn't tell you what its doing, but I'll have to check.

@warxsnake:  I haven't seen any texture pop-in in Uncharted 2, but I saw tons in 1. "

weird, I saw and noticed it everywhere, especially in key areas where the player has a huge FOV over a huge set-piece. (which is why you don't see that amount of set-pieces in most other games, they tend to avoid that and constrain you to corridors as much as possible so you don't look at a ton of assets at the same time). I'm guessing (no idea) but probably Uncharted 2 engine has dynamically loaded assets based on field of view and visual obstruction/culling, which is one of Cryengine 2's main features as well.  

edit: yeah maybe the fact that i play ps3 games way up close on a 24" monitor helps in seeing pop-ins and other "bad" visual effects" 

No Caption Provided
    "
    That little corner is b-e-a-utiful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.