Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Thinking Vertically in Uncharted 3 Beta

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By LouChou

http://gamingbullshit.com/2011/07/03/thinking-vertically-in-uncharted-3-beta/  

Be it by astute opportunity ceasing, or merely fantastic coincidence, Naughty Dog have brought a multiplayer beta for Uncharted 3 to the Playstation Plus section of PSN. What was initially an exclusive extension of the PS3′s online experience (for anyone willing to put up the $50), Playstation Plus was opened up to the gaming masses on a free, 30-day trial basis as part of a coo to convince us all we could, and should, trust Sony again. The exchange pretty much rendered us a helpless spouse in an abusive relationship, only, instead of flowers we were given games we already had as symbols of reconciliation. It’s alright though, we know Sony will change. It loves us.

The Playstation Plus service itself is somewhat akin to a V.I.P. lounge at an airport, only that velvet rope that usually seperates executives from commoners has been removed and now we all get to put tiny Plus signs in the top corners of our avatars. For the time being, at least. Another apparent perk for all us peasants suddenly riding in business class is a wealth of less than desirable freebies and goodies, the kind that appear novel on first glance, but we’ll ultimately want to discard at the nearest trash can. All in all we get the sense that that green, green grass on the other side doesn’t quite have that glow we caught from afar. We remain free of any potential buyer’s remorse, mind you, and all it really took was a month of downtime, and the pre-emptive cancellation of all our credit cards. Simple, really. Anyway, I digress. This is not a critique of the PSN service – just attempting to play a game co-operatively with one of your buddies is critique enough.

Uncharted 3′s multiplayer introduces us to the wonders in store for online bromancers worldwide come the game’s November release, and, to its credit, it’s giving them a thing or two to chest bump about, the starkest of qualities those Naughty Dogs are bringing to battle is verticality. Stepping into the beta had me treating the experience with the same attention and method I might apply to Call of Duty or Battlefield, and I cannot decipher the cognitive psychology behind it, but overcoming that horizontal interpretation of the way the land lay became something of a revelation. Rather than thinking across the map, as your standard online FPS would have you do, I was beginning to look to the skies and think upwards. Buildings were no longer bastard obstacles I needed to find doors to access, instead I could just scramble up the side of a building and through an open window like Peter Parker-turned-sex pest, or that Dawson from the Creek. Such freedom creates the potential for some genuine edge of your seat (or building) face-offs, with opposition players actually zip-wiring into gunfights at points.

I gush, but the multiplayer has its niggles. For instance, attaching to cover can be a little hit or miss, and at some very awkward and fatal moments. Occasionally instead of actually backing up to a wall I will engage in a rather spastic routine of squats, and end up with a shell to the face for my troubles. Also, melee attacks at close proximity could do with a shot in the arm, something more to the effect of COD or BF where in most instances they’re fatal, rather than being an invitation to the opposition to do the gun dance for a few seconds. My final gripe is, very simply, that I’d prefer tighter movements from the player you control, but perhaps this is configurable from a menu option somewhere (in the same sense that a PC gamer can adjust mouse sensitivity).

Naughty Dog are sitting on quite a robust multiplayer here, and it’s still only in beta. Levelling up and active, public progression in the online arena is currently the soup du jour when crafting an addictive, compelling experience, and with its reward system constantly gratifying co-operative players it all adds up to a motherbeast that could well be holding multiplayer company with Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield 3 come Christmas time.

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LouChou

http://gamingbullshit.com/2011/07/03/thinking-vertically-in-uncharted-3-beta/  

Be it by astute opportunity ceasing, or merely fantastic coincidence, Naughty Dog have brought a multiplayer beta for Uncharted 3 to the Playstation Plus section of PSN. What was initially an exclusive extension of the PS3′s online experience (for anyone willing to put up the $50), Playstation Plus was opened up to the gaming masses on a free, 30-day trial basis as part of a coo to convince us all we could, and should, trust Sony again. The exchange pretty much rendered us a helpless spouse in an abusive relationship, only, instead of flowers we were given games we already had as symbols of reconciliation. It’s alright though, we know Sony will change. It loves us.

The Playstation Plus service itself is somewhat akin to a V.I.P. lounge at an airport, only that velvet rope that usually seperates executives from commoners has been removed and now we all get to put tiny Plus signs in the top corners of our avatars. For the time being, at least. Another apparent perk for all us peasants suddenly riding in business class is a wealth of less than desirable freebies and goodies, the kind that appear novel on first glance, but we’ll ultimately want to discard at the nearest trash can. All in all we get the sense that that green, green grass on the other side doesn’t quite have that glow we caught from afar. We remain free of any potential buyer’s remorse, mind you, and all it really took was a month of downtime, and the pre-emptive cancellation of all our credit cards. Simple, really. Anyway, I digress. This is not a critique of the PSN service – just attempting to play a game co-operatively with one of your buddies is critique enough.

Uncharted 3′s multiplayer introduces us to the wonders in store for online bromancers worldwide come the game’s November release, and, to its credit, it’s giving them a thing or two to chest bump about, the starkest of qualities those Naughty Dogs are bringing to battle is verticality. Stepping into the beta had me treating the experience with the same attention and method I might apply to Call of Duty or Battlefield, and I cannot decipher the cognitive psychology behind it, but overcoming that horizontal interpretation of the way the land lay became something of a revelation. Rather than thinking across the map, as your standard online FPS would have you do, I was beginning to look to the skies and think upwards. Buildings were no longer bastard obstacles I needed to find doors to access, instead I could just scramble up the side of a building and through an open window like Peter Parker-turned-sex pest, or that Dawson from the Creek. Such freedom creates the potential for some genuine edge of your seat (or building) face-offs, with opposition players actually zip-wiring into gunfights at points.

I gush, but the multiplayer has its niggles. For instance, attaching to cover can be a little hit or miss, and at some very awkward and fatal moments. Occasionally instead of actually backing up to a wall I will engage in a rather spastic routine of squats, and end up with a shell to the face for my troubles. Also, melee attacks at close proximity could do with a shot in the arm, something more to the effect of COD or BF where in most instances they’re fatal, rather than being an invitation to the opposition to do the gun dance for a few seconds. My final gripe is, very simply, that I’d prefer tighter movements from the player you control, but perhaps this is configurable from a menu option somewhere (in the same sense that a PC gamer can adjust mouse sensitivity).

Naughty Dog are sitting on quite a robust multiplayer here, and it’s still only in beta. Levelling up and active, public progression in the online arena is currently the soup du jour when crafting an addictive, compelling experience, and with its reward system constantly gratifying co-operative players it all adds up to a motherbeast that could well be holding multiplayer company with Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield 3 come Christmas time.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By loopy_101

Sadly I doubt it will usurp Batttlefield or Call of Duty, not even Halo Reach or Killzone 3 managed that. I have yet to play the U3 beta but even as good as Uncharted 2's multiplayer was, not many people acknowledged it as a competant shooter online. I should probably contact a few friends and play alongside them on it tomorrow though to see how true to your word the beta really is.

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LouChou
    @loopy_101: I would definitely recommend it. I'm by no means suggesting U3 be a replacement for either COD or BF, I'll be playing the hell out of both (the latter foremost) just that come Christmas it wouldn't surprise me if the game's multplayer was up there in online popularity with those two behemoths. I mean, based purely on projected sales of the game, it's bound to have a few people interested, even just out of curiosity.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

What's annoying the most about Naughty Dog was just how mediocre Uncharted 1 was.

So now my friend who has a PS3, a mic, and I've played plenty of online shooters has this super silly notion that he'd be utterly lost in the sprawling Uncharted 2 lore... 

I missed out on Uncharted 2 competitive multiplayer since I didn't feel like jumping in cold while I could have been playing other games with friends and now with this beta underway he thinks he's too far back to even get on track.

Good job Naughty Dog.

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LouChou
    @Doctorchimp: If anything I believe the beta is the perfect time to get on track. I mean, as much as I wish it would, I don't think the levels your player reaches will be carrying over to retail release. So this is just the perfect time to jump in and see what the shit it's all about. Plus, on the subject of levelling and not considering yourself in the race, I level up three times in the space of an hour. My session was filled with rewards that boosted my level, and I was playing terribly. For you two guys, who sound like you do plenty of online play, I think you'll both find yourself advancing quite quickly.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Doctorchimp said:

What's annoying the most about Naughty Dog was just how mediocre Uncharted 1 was. So now my friend who has a PS3, a mic, and I've played plenty of online shooters has this super silly notion that he'd be utterly lost in the sprawling Uncharted 2 lore... I missed out on Uncharted 2 competitive multiplayer since I didn't feel like jumping in cold while I could have been playing other games with friends and now with this beta underway he thinks he's too far back to even get on track. Good job Naughty Dog.

It angers me when people call Uncharted 1 mediocre. Roar!

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LouChou
    @LiquidPrince: Uncharted is one of the games that sold me on a PS3. When I played it at a friend's house I was hooked, so I certainly agree that I don't think it's mediocre.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @LouChou said:
    @Doctorchimp: If anything I believe the beta is the perfect time to get on track. I mean, as much as I wish it would, I don't think the levels your player reaches will be carrying over to retail release. So this is just the perfect time to jump in and see what the shit it's all about. Plus, on the subject of levelling and not considering yourself in the race, I level up three times in the space of an hour. My session was filled with rewards that boosted my level, and I was playing terribly. For you two guys, who sound like you do plenty of online play, I think you'll both find yourself advancing quite quickly.
    I'm perfectly aware of that.

Like I said though I have one friend with a PS3 that likes to play games with me online, but he's too dumb and stubborn to skip some uncharted games. He won't download the beta to play with me...

That's the issue.

@LiquidPrince said:

It angers me when people call Uncharted 1 mediocre. Roar!

You can get angry as much as you want, the dude can't bring himself to finish it....and I sure as hell didn't play much of it.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Three0neFive

I don't get it, shooters were vertical as shit before people started having to change that to accommodate for dual analog controllers.

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LouChou
    @Three0neFive: Such as what? Tribes is one of the only pre-past generation shooters that I can remember encouraging vertical multiplayer. And even that was through jet packs, not through the ability to climb up just about any surface that had grooves or ledges.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.