Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 10, 2016

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

Can someone explain a couple of plot elements / poor story elements? (spoilers)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

So I loved Uncharted 4. The story was good, the ending was good, and the epilogue was great. There were just two parts in the game that bothered me.

1) How in the world did Elena not only figure out that you were lying to her, but also figure out your exact geographical location? All this when you were on the run from people who not only knew you were in the area, but would have sent a literal army to kill you, if they could find your hotel. Unless I missed something, she comes across as some sort of all-knowing super being here, and it really took me out of the story.

Later in the game, she does it again when she rescues you after a bad fall, but at least with that they included a basic "I just followed the sound of gunfire" type line that sort of explains how that happened. When she finds your hotel the first time, the writers could have explained it by saying she called Sully and demanded to know what was really going on, because she talked to the guy at your work, and now knows that you were lying.

Instead, there's no explanation, and it just felt kind of lazy compared the the rest of the storytelling. Did I miss something here?

2) If I'm the game character, and if I'm playing as the protagonist, it can take me out of things when my character does things that I would not. I felt this way a little bit when Drake first lied to Elena about his trip, but because I didn't have control over the character in that scene, it didn't feel too bad.

What did feel bad is later in the game when you're separated from your brother, and you call him to ask him about a puzzle. You already know he's in danger if he's found, but inexplicably, your character then decides to text him pictures of clues, and the game even has the player him or herself take the pictures. I figured that he would end up caught, the bad guys would get his phone, and they'd be able to see everything you were texting.

Because of this, I REALLY didn't want to take those pictures. I even got a trophy for taking a picture of Sully, because I didn't want to take pictures of the clues.

Instead of the bad guy capturing your brother and his phone, not only do they hack your phone, but they TELL you that they hacked your phone. For all the sense this makes, the bad guy may as well capture Drake, fully explain his evil plan, and then leave the room while Drake is tied to a machine designed to kill him several moments later.

For a game with otherwise excellent storytelling, these two moments really stood out to me. Anyone else feel the same?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is about to fall off the front page, so I thought I'd ask one last time. Anyone?

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

1) How in the world did Elena not only figure out that you were lying to her, but also figure out your exact geographical location? All this when you were on the run from people who not only knew you were in the area, but would have sent a literal army to kill you, if they could find your hotel. Unless I missed something, she comes across as some sort of all-knowing super being here, and it really took me out of the story.

Later in the game, she does it again when she rescues you after a bad fall, but at least with that they included a basic "I just followed the sound of gunfire" type line that sort of explains how that happened. When she finds your hotel the first time, the writers could have explained it by saying she called Sully and demanded to know what was really going on, because she talked to the guy at your work, and now knows that you were lying.

Instead, there's no explanation, and it just felt kind of lazy compared the the rest of the storytelling. Did I miss something here?

They never explain that, at least I don't recall them ever saying how she figured it out. But, I can give them some leeway. First, she is a journalist, so I assume she would be pretty creative on deducing ways in which to figure out his location. For instance, he's staying at a hotel, so he must be paying for that somehow. Maybe he used his credit card or other bank card and she opened a statement that was sent to their home, thereby seeing he has been spending money in various locals other than where he said he was going to be.

Also, depending on the phone and phone carrier, you can use certain apps to locate people. And I don't mean she put an app on his phone without his knowledge, I mean that they maybe both have "Find My Friends" or "Find My Phone" on their phones. My husband and I use them all the time, mostly because we lose track of our phones in our house and use the app to make sure that it's in our house, first, and then play a tone so that we can find it. Anyway, it's possible, but again, nothing is ever said.

My assumption was that Sully had something to do with it, even if he didn't admit it. But they never say that either. I think you're just supposed to go with the flow and jump to the conclusion that she either is so smart that she sluethed her way there or that Sully played dad figure and filled her in, trying to help both her and Nate.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

In the game she says she asked Sully. I don't know that she says Sully admitted telling her what's up, but we're supposed to assume that. That would be enough to get nearby and then she just used her skills to find you. She is also an adventurer and she knows Nathan well.

Honestly, I let all this slide since it seemed so dumb he was lying to her in the first place. He knows all Elena has to do is ask Nathan's boss why the job was extended (or other things) to find out it's lying.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sasnake

With point number 2, you are playing as a character, somebody with a different personality as you, a person that isnt you. A character. So what he does and what you would do, are two different things.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elena is about as adept as nate at finding things so its not far fetched shed track him down eventually. As for the island i believe sully and her had access to the same clues before drake and sam left so they probably knew where the island was and in the helicopter saw the gun fire.

As far as ths second part i think its just one of the many glaring story telling problems they had in the game. I felt the lack of swashbuckling popcorn movie plot and attempt at doing a more "serious" plot makes points like that stick out more.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2) If I'm the game character, and if I'm playing as the protagonist, it can take me out of things when my character does things that I would not. I felt this way a little bit when Drake first lied to Elena about his trip, but because I didn't have control over the character in that scene, it didn't feel too bad.

What did feel bad is later in the game when you're separated from your brother, and you call him to ask him about a puzzle. You already know he's in danger if he's found, but inexplicably, your character then decides to text him pictures of clues, and the game even has the player him or herself take the pictures. I figured that he would end up caught, the bad guys would get his phone, and they'd be able to see everything you were texting.

Because of this, I REALLY didn't want to take those pictures. I even got a trophy for taking a picture of Sully, because I didn't want to take pictures of the clues.

Instead of the bad guy capturing your brother and his phone, not only do they hack your phone, but they TELL you that they hacked your phone. For all the sense this makes, the bad guy may as well capture Drake, fully explain his evil plan, and then leave the room while Drake is tied to a machine designed to kill him several moments later.

With this complaint, you have to remember that Uncharted isn't an RPG. You aren't forging your own story, you're playing out Nate's story. Lack of player agency shouldn't be a complaint when you're not meant to have any agency over the story in the first place. Similar to how a lot of people complained that they disagreed with Joel's decision at the end of The Last of Us and wish they had been given a choice, it's a situation where the player isn't meant to be allowed to shape the narrative.

Just like screaming at a character in a horror movie not to go into the basement won't change the outcome, you aren't meant to be able to change the story in Uncharted or The Last of Us no matter how much you disagree with the main characters' actions.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Honestly, the thing that annoyed me the most in the game was when you had the opportunity to shoot Nadine, and Rafe goes "They're not cold-blooded killers".

Dude, what?! What about the thousands of people Nathan has killed? How does none of that count?

Then again, it makes no sense for Nathan to take that shot since Rafe and his men would instantly him and Sam. But that dumb fucking line just on its own was grade-A bullshit.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sravankb: I guess you could make that the argument that Nate and Sam would only kill people that were already trying to kill them but it's still pretty weird

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sravankb said:

Honestly, the thing that annoyed me the most in the game was when you had the opportunity to shoot Nadine, and Rafe goes "They're not cold-blooded killers".

Dude, what?! What about the thousands of people Nathan has killed? How does none of that count?

Then again, it makes no sense for Nathan to take that shot since Rafe and his men would instantly him and Sam. But that dumb fucking line just on its own was grade-A bullshit.

To be fair there is a considerable difference between defending yourself, even if the body count eventually borders on the comical, and executing the hostage you have at your mercy

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

To put Elena's knack in tracking down Nate into context, one of their first interactions in Uncharted 1 is Nate leaving her behind on some port and Elena finding him while he was being chased by gunmen in the middle of a jungle. So really, what's more surprising is Nate thinking he can trick her this time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.