Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 10, 2016

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

So, Troy Baker plays Nate's big brother...

• 73 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

...Video games have become sentient, the amount of self-awareness is too severe! And my God man, there's just no end to Baker's tyranny. He's a superb actor and all, but... saturation is starting to set in. Even Nolan North at his most prominent wasn't this... prominent. Oh, and Troy Baker is probably going to betray Nolan North isn't he. Be a nice role reversal from Shadow of Mordor.

Really want to check out that gameplay video again ASAP. Love how open the environments are looking to be, and there were some real meaty sounding weapon fx going on in it, too. Wonder if they'll upload it in 60fps.

Also, it's only just recently occurred to me how weird it is hearing Nate talking to himself so damn much. Could be internal thoughts, though.

EDIT:

As for the non-Troy Baker related stuff, the openness of the environments makes for an interesting showpiece. Uncharted has usually had some pretty open environments in the past, but none that allow such diversity as the one shown in the video. Kinda looked a little Batman-esque for how you're to retreat back into stealth if you can shimmy away out of their sight quickly enough. I wonder if it'll actually be possible to sneak past some combat encounters altogether?

The climbing up the wall thing was totes-Tomb Raider, but eh, they both have much to thank one another as it is really. Graphically is all looks a little... I dunno, almost sort of bland? The gloomy atmosphere of it all is striking yet weirdly indistinctive at the same time. I'm used to seeing Uncharted as this big, bright bonanza really, with colour bursting from the seams. Would probably look much better when actually playing it and witnessing it all on your telly.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zeik

Troy Baker is becoming rather oversaturated, as much as I like him, but this role seems pretty perfect. Except if it was me I would have made him the overachieving younger brother.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Seriously...like seriously....

Seriously?

slickdasani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By slickdasani

Troy Baker gotta eat.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By conmulligan

On some level, I like the idea of Troy Baker and Nolan North playing off one another for extended periods of time, because it seems like those guys could do some amazing work together. I'm just not sure I want that to happen in an Uncharted game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Troy Baker is becoming rather oversaturated, as much as I like him, but this role seems pretty perfect. Except if it was me I would have made him the overachieving younger brother.

Yeah, I figured Troy Baker would have been the upstart, ready to take Nate's place for the future. In that regard I guess it's surprising that he's Nate more sleazy-looking older sibling! Whom has never even been referred to before ever until now... I think.

Seriously?

Seriously.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Come oooon. Say you made it up, say it. This is a joke post right?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunstarred: Confirmed:

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Troy Baker gotta eat.

So do all the other struggling VO actors.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

He has to kill his brother after he betrays him, and then retires. Calling it now.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@csl316 said:

@slickdasani said:

Troy Baker gotta eat.

Most, however, likely don't have the same experience VA's like Nolan and Baker have with motion capture, which is partly the reason why the pool of VAs is seemingly all the smaller when it comes to big budget video games. EDIT: Also why there's so many TV actors/actresses branching off into video games, too. Though of course Troy Baker's prominence is bordering on something of a running gag at this point.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@yummylee said:

@zeik said:

Yeah, I figured Troy Baker would have been the upstart, ready to take Nate's place for the future. In that regard I guess it's surprising that he's Nate more sleazy-looking older sibling! Whom has never even been referred to before ever until now... I think.

@gunstarred said:

Seriously?

Seriously.

Loading Video...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I will say that it was nice to hear Nolan North as Drake again.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@slickdasani said:

Troy Baker gotta eat.

i highly doubt Troy Baker is struggling at all at the moment. Considering all the roles he has had lately, I'm sure he is quite well off.

Well yeah, what I'm getting at is other people could use some of these roles he keeps getting. Not only for the paycheck, but for the experience and recognition. Leading to more diverse video game casts.

Troy's damn good, don't get me wrong. But as Yummy said, it's prominent to an unprecedented degree.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to remind the others that this isnt the first time they have worked together. Glad it went full circle to where it all started.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

Edit: Ugh, that was a lame joke. Not even funny lame, it just sucked. Removal time!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't find his voice distinctive enough for his prevalence to be a bother to me.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@xchairmandrekx said:

@csl316 said:

@slickdasani said:

Troy Baker gotta eat.

i highly doubt Troy Baker is struggling at all at the moment. Considering all the roles he has had lately, I'm sure he is quite well off.

Well yeah, what I'm getting at is other people could use some of these roles he keeps getting. Not only for the paycheck, but for the experience and recognition. Leading to more diverse video game casts.

Troy's damn good, don't get me wrong. But as Yummy said, it's prominent to an unprecedented degree.

Yeah, this is how I'm feeling. I like him a lot. I'm probably somewhat of an apologist for how much work he is getting, because he does have a lot of range (so does Nolan North), but they're rarely given the opportunity to perform to their abilities. I'd rather see Baker and North get roles like Pagan Min and Cobblepot. Those types of memorable characters that demand a performance, but leave room for new comers to break in.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't mind him being everywhere because his range is so fantastic.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zeik

@csl316: I'd put more blame on voice directors than Baker for that. It would be silly for him to turn down a well-paying job, it's the directors that hire him for everything.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't say Baker getting a role in this game was unexpected. Coming from Last of Us Remastered followed by Shadow of Mordor it's kinda grating though.

I still think that the weirdest part about this is that Neil Druckmann is heading the creative process. I kind of got a bit of Last of Us feel on that trailer and I don't know if I want Uncharted getting serious is the kind of change it needs.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind him being everywhere because his range is so fantastic.

Ehhhhh, his range is alright, but there hasn't been a role in a while where he hasn't been immediately recognisable. Though part of that is definitely because he keeps having to act with his regular voice. Still, he's got nothing on the likes of Dee Bradley Baker or Jim Cummings, though.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#26  Edited By donutfever

Should have got McConaughey.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kasaioni

@yummylee: He does a pretty convincing young-Ocelot.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need a game with these two, steven blum, and david hayter together, stat.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You guys should watch animated stuff more often. The overuse of certain voices is a very common thing.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Alfonso Ribiero needs to eat.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need a game with these two, steven blum, and david hayter together, stat.

I don't know about Hayter, but the other three were altogether in Shadow of Mordor. The Last of Us too, though Blum only played minor nameless NPC characters, and North and Baker didn't interact with one another.

David Hayter seems like he's fallen back into the film industry again anywhoo and doesn't voice act much. Snake is essentially is one role basically.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I love this. It's the perfect pairing.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Wasn't Drake an orphan? Does this tie into what the villain of the last game said about Drake not being his true name?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yummylee

Wasn't Drake an orphan? Does this tie into what the villain of the last game said about Drake not being his true name?

I'm curious about that myself. Maybe they're not... literally brothers but see each as such as a means of respect? But yeah he was like a street urchin before being taken into Sully's wing as far as we know. Perhaps he ran away from his real family for some reason or something. Katherine Marlowe does mention that Drake isn't his real surname, but she could have been lying. I dunno, it all at least gives Uncharted 4's story some intrigue if it'll help explain Nate's history.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Holy shit this looks so good! It better actually come out in 2015 and not get delayed.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By csl316

You guys should watch animated stuff more often. The overuse of certain voices is a very common thing.

I was just talking to my anime friend about this. Look up an IMDB page and VO actors in that field seem to be in everything. Like Steve Blum, or Vic Mignogna. Even western animation, just look at Billy West or Tara Strong.

Seems like I'm personally weirded out on the video games front because it seems like a bigger deal for a younger medium. I suppose casting directors don't want to take too many risks, because there's juuuuust a chance you'll end up with Steve Burnside.

Loading Video...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37 MooseyMcMan  Online

That's hilarious. That's amazing. Can't wait.

Also, the game looks really cool.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still remember the first time I played Persona 4 and was like "That dude who plays Kanji is pretty good. I wish he was in more stuff." How foolish I was back then...

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is the only way this could finish. We've reached the singularity. I'm ready for the end.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't find his voice distinctive enough for his prevalence to be a bother to me.

That's where I'm at with it, too. I've never been able to pick him out, even when he's just talking normally, his voice is too average. That's what gives him really good range. Joel, Kanji (who I didn't know he voiced until @afabs515 mentioned it), dude from Second Son, Pagan Min, they all sound pretty distinct from one another. Nolan North plays only Nolan North, except when he's doing Penguin (who still sounds like Nolan North when he yells).

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ah video games.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Yummylee

@the_nubster said:

@spoonman671 said:

That's where I'm at with it, too. I've never been able to pick him out, even when he's just talking normally, his voice is too average. That's what gives him really good range. Joel, Kanji (who I didn't know he voiced until @afabs515 mentioned it), dude from Second Son, Pagan Min, they all sound pretty distinct from one another. Nolan North plays only Nolan North, except when he's doing Penguin (who still sounds like Nolan North when he yells).

I would have to disagree, Troy Baker often always just sounds like Troy Baker to me. Pagan Min is Troy Baker with an upper-class English accent, exactly like the sort of voice he used as Charlie in Binary Domain and The Scoundrel in Diablo III.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ok if I never have to play another Uncharted game. It feels done.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@yummylee said:

@the_nubster said:

@spoonman671 said:

I would have to disagree, Troy Baker often always just sounds like Troy Baker to me. Pagan Min is Troy Baker with an upper-class English accent, exactly like the sort of voice he used as Charlie in Binary Domain and The Scoundrel in Diablo III.

Again, didn't know he did Charlie or the D3 Scoundrel. Interesting that you can hear him so clearly but I can't pick up on it at all.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Brendan

At this point I'd be more surprised if Troy baker wasn't in something!

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At this point I kinda want to make a game where Troy Baker plays Nolan North and vice versa.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Troy Baker hardly ever gets any work in video games and anime so I'm happy for him.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard so much Troy Baker in the last 5 years, I can tell it's him from the first 3 words. Doesn't really matter who he plays or what inflection he is putting into his voice, it's just immediate. It's gotten to the point where it is actually kinda distracting when I hear it for the first time when starting a new game.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the impression he's not actually Nate's brother. More just a name thing. But if Troy is to play a major role in the story, I wonder what that says about Sully. Can't have an Uncharted game without Sully.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@mikey87144 said:

I was just talking to my anime friend about this. Look up an IMDB page and VO actors in that field seem to be in everything. Like Steve Blum, or Vic Mignogna. Even western animation, just look at Billy West or Tara Strong.

Seems like I'm personally weirded out on the video games front because it seems like a bigger deal for a younger medium. I suppose casting directors don't want to take too many risks, because there's juuuuust a chance you'll end up with Steve Burnside.

Loading Video...

The footsteps sounds are amazing..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.