Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 19, 2007

Become Nathan Drake, a treasure hunter and descendant of famed explorer Sir Francis Drake as he searches for the lost treasure of El Dorado.

Playing through Uncharted for the first time...

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lkpower

I never owned a PS3 but I am using PS now to play through the first uncharted. the game works well enough but there is not a lot to it. go into an area, get shot out of nowhere, take cover, shoot dudes, walk forward, repeat over and over again. I remember some people loving this game when it came out but I'm just not feeling it. The characters are not likable. Nathan Drake is a major asshole. This has just been super disappointing for me so far. The series gets all of this praise but I just don't see it. Am I missing something? should I move on to 2? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

UPDATE: I just started Uncharted 2. It's great!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

2 is a much better game. 1 was a good foundation but it lacked major setpieces or any real variety which 2 has a lot of.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By pr1mus

2 is better in every way. Uncharted is all about the spectacle, the set pieces. They're all vastly superior in 2. It's also a better third person shooter too.

But that's what Uncharted is, a third person shooter with cool set pieces. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a really good one of those and came out before the craze really got going and the market got flooded with them. You're 7 years late to the party.

In 2007 that game was great and in 2009 Uncharted 2 was something to behold. It's just not terribly exciting anymore.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

If you didn't like the characters in Drake's Fortune, there's little chance you'll find them more endearing in the sequels. That said Uncharted 2 is a vastly superior game in virtually every regard.

Also, ''go into an area, get shot out of nowhere, take cover, shoot dudes, walk forward, repeat over and over again'' could be used to sum up an awful lot of games.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

No one's going to tell you that the first Uncharted is the best. The game is good, but has some major problems. Uncharted 2 is where it's at. The 3rd one's really good as well. Certainly not the classic that 2 is, but much better than 1.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@lkpower: That's pretty much all there is to Uncharted. UC2 is more of the same plus multiplayer. UC2 is more of a technical showpiece, like how did they do that train level or that collapsing building, but it's the same shoot dudes, take cover, spout one liner game as the first.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

@lkpower said:

I never owned a PS3 but I am using PS now to play through the first uncharted. the game works well enough but there is not a lot to it. go into an area, get shot out of nowhere, take cover, shoot dudes, walk forward, repeat over and over again.

I think you could break down every game into the most rudimentary aspects if you really want to.

And, just pointing out the obvious here, but the game is eight years old. You already seem to have expectations in your head based upon what you think the game is based upon others' hype. It was almost bound to fail in your eyes.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Uncharted is an average game that looks great and sets up a fun world (it'd be a good game, but the last couple chapters are nearly a disaster).

Uncharted 2 is a really fun game that, like Uncharted, attempts to undo its good will with aplomb in the final chapters.

Uncharted 3 is where they got everything right. Just a super fun thrill ride start to finish.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think Uncharted 1 is actually a pretty bad game. Hated the gunplay and in particular the bullet sponge enemies. The story did nothing for me. No cool setpiece moments either.

2 is very good though. Yeah its linear and set piecy and if you don't like that fine, but if you do it's done about as well as anyone has ever manged. The convoy and train segments were two stand out moments from last gen to me. The characters were way better.

Like others, not sure where you saw 1 so hyped. I think it was pretty forgettable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Play Golden Abyss if you get a chance. I would rank it above UC3 but below UC1.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: No Vita I'm afraid, and I can't say I intend to get one anytime soon, if ever!

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drake's Fortune is very much a frame work for what came after. Uncharted 2 perfected the formula for the single player and added a surprisingly solid multiplayer component.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@yummylee: I find that a lot of people would put 3 above 1 but whatever. The Vita ones alright, when I first got my Vita and played it I was like wow that was awesome. Having recently started a second playthrough I've found myself enjoying it a lot less this time around. I may write a post about it at some point but in short I'm finding the touch / puzzles poorly implemented and the story / spectacle not up to the high standard of the main series games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I wasn't a big fan of 1 and stopped halfway through, only to finish it a year later.

2 is my game of the generation. So there's that.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lkpower said:

I never owned a PS3 but I am using PS now to play through the first uncharted. the game works well enough but there is not a lot to it. go into an area, get shot out of nowhere, take cover, shoot dudes, walk forward, repeat over and over again.

I think you could break down every game into the most rudimentary aspects if you really want to.

And, just pointing out the obvious here, but the game is eight years old. You already seem to have expectations in your head based upon what you think the game is based upon others' hype. It was almost bound to fail in your eyes.

Point taken. Also, you are correct, every game can be boiled down but it is just so easy for me to do this with uncharted right now. To be honest this might have seemed a lot more impressive to me if I hadn't played The Last of Us before Uncharted. It's probably my own hangups as you say. I think I have just gotten used to the incredibly tight gameplay experience that Last of us offers. Compared to that the gameplay just feels unpolished.

That being said I will play UT 2. The game has taken a turn for me and the characters are growing on me. I'm at the point where Nate and Elena reunite with Sully and I'm really digging the dialogue between the three of them. If UT 2 is more of that with better gameplay then I'm in.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lkpower said:

@white_sox said:

@lkpower said:

Point taken. Also, you are correct, every game can be boiled down but it is just so easy for me to do this with uncharted right now. To be honest this might have seemed a lot more impressive to me if I hadn't played The Last of Us before Uncharted. It's probably my own hangups as you say. I think I have just gotten used to the incredibly tight gameplay experience that Last of us offers. Compared to that the gameplay just feels unpolished.

That being said I will play UT 2. The game has taken a turn for me and the characters are growing on me. I'm at the point where Nate and Elena reunite with Sully and I'm really digging the dialogue between the three of them. If UT 2 is more of that with better gameplay then I'm in.

Sully's not in Uncharted 2 very much unfortunately, though the love-triangle between Nate, Elena, and Chloe is pretty great. That, and Harry Flynn makes for a superb villain. It also must be reiterated that the gameplay in Uncharted 2 is vastly superior to Drake's Fortune. It's not the greatest third-person shooter ever made, nor is it as good as The Last of Us I don't think, but everything just flows a lot better and feels much smoother overall, and enemies aren't the same bullet sponges that they are in Drake's Fortune. Then Uncharted 3 had to come along and fuck it all up.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#19 fisk0  Moderator

Can't say the Uncharted series grabbed me at all, though I haven't played the fan favorite in the series, Uncharted 2.

I tried playing the first game and the Vita game, and then played the multiplayer beta for Uncharted 3. Wasn't a fan of the controls, camera, writing or really anything in there.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By BigBoss1911

I played the first Uncharted game about a year after it came out and thought it was just a solid game, nothing special just a decent story and obviously amazing graphics.

Uncharted 2 just annihilates it in every way imaginable. Also had surprisingly good multilayer.

EDIT : Also never understood the hate for Uncharted 3.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much like my feelings with Assassins Creed 1 to 2 I fucking haaaaated the first Uncharted game. I remember thinking it was really fucking boring and that ending area when your on a ship (or something) was a fucking test of patience because up untill that area the game was piss easy then the end ramped up way to high. I eventually beat it but damn was I not a fan. This was about 2 years ago when I played it.

I am now in the middle of playing Uncharted 2 and I am enjoying it very much (not sure how much longer I got left, but I just met Tenzin) I feel like the shooting is better and the areas feel much more diverse. Also I totally love Sully. I'm hoping I get a little more time with him because now it's just switching between Elena and Chloe.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I remember being really excited for the first Uncharted and then hating it. Third person shooting, platforming, and puzzle solving all in one game sounded amazing, but it was supremely disappointing. They really turned it around though, 2 and 3 are both excellent.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude

I bought Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 when I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago. Made it about halfway in 1 and quit. I moved on to 2 thinking it would be better, but nope. Again, about halfway through I got tired of the characters, Nathan Drake is a douchebag, the game play, spent more time cursing the game, and finally said fuck it, I'm out. Didn't even try 3.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By monkeyking1969

@lkpower said:

I never owned a PS3 but I am using PS now to play through the first uncharted. the game works well enough but there is not a lot to it. go into an area, get shot out of nowhere, take cover, shoot dudes, walk forward, repeat over and over again. I remember some people loving this game when it came out but I'm just not feeling it. The characters are not likable. Nathan Drake is a major asshole. This has just been super disappointing for me so far. The series gets all of this praise but I just don't see it. Am I missing something? should I move on to 2? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

How far are you into it? I think Drake becomes more likeable only after the first half really. Also after that the gameplay improves because most of the really tough battles are over...some of those early fights are brutal slogs. Also, once Elena Fisher is more in the picture, the story turns slightly more heroic in nature. The end is a bit of a abrupt style change so be prepared for the sub base. (To be honest the one thing that I REALLY just don't like about UC games is the mysticism monsters. I know the rubric they follow is Indiana Jones which has a very deep paranormal/religious/monster aspect, but it always feels misplaced to me.)

To be fair the first game is rough around the edges, but I think it is still a great game. I might add that Elena Fisher is one of the greatest characters ever made. No superhero like heroic, not fall-to-pieces trope of a damsel in distress, so she is this great hybrid of realistic toughness and realistic vulnerability. Elena will always be a character that when she shows up on screen makes me anticipate a great story.

Also, can we please have a SLOW CLAP for last generation Triple-A games actually working?! I mean it is shocking that that quality of just fucking working of last-gen games must be now so highly regarded.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@yummylee said:

If you didn't like the characters in Drake's Fortune, there's little chance you'll find them more endearing in the sequels. That said Uncharted 2 is a vastly superior game in virtually every regard.

Also, ''go into an area, get shot out of nowhere, take cover, shoot dudes, walk forward, repeat over and over again'' could be used to sum up an awful lot of games.

That's true. Plus ''go into an area, get shot out of nowhere, take cover, shoot dudes, walk forward, repeat over and over again'' with setpieces in between, is pretty much the formula of the Uncharted games prior to The Last of Us.

The Uncharted games are a "Indiana Jones simulator". If you don't have a stomach for it, might be better to move on.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: Interestingly, Uncarted and Assassin's Creed came out in the same week, then Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 also came out in the same week.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally can't remember anything about this game beyond hating the final boss encounter.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having Just finished the game I liked it overall very frustrating a rimes but I'm going to start UT 2 when I get chance. I see the potential this series has and want to see more. Drakes fortune was just pretty thin

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@lkpower said:

Having Just finished the game I liked it overall very frustrating a rimes but I'm going to start UT 2 when I get chance. I see the potential this series has and want to see more. Drakes fortune was just pretty thin

Other than the shitty jet ski part I really enjoyed Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I do agree that Uncharted 2 and 3 are superior games but it did lay a very solid foundation for them to build off of.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lkpower said:

Thats cool. I think most people will agree, and that is born out here, that Uncharted 2 is a step up.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: Interestingly, Uncarted and Assassin's Creed came out in the same week, then Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 also came out in the same week.

huh. How odd

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If anything the game is clearly a first attempt from ND towards what later becomes something more refined and an actual playable game.
    Holy hell i got chapter 9 and just could not make myself continue any further.

So much bad shooting at endles waves of enemies and why oh why cant he automatically pick up ammo for my equipped gun i just dont know.

Going straight to the second one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.