Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 19, 2007

Become Nathan Drake, a treasure hunter and descendant of famed explorer Sir Francis Drake as he searches for the lost treasure of El Dorado.

PS3 Playthrough: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (spoilers)

Avatar image for translucentfish
    translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By translucentfish

Uncharted is my first disc game on the PS3. I've heard nothing but great things about it and its sequel. Well, more Uncharted 2, but I can never go into a series in the middle, stupid videogame OCD (obsessive collecting disorder). 

So I finished the first of Nathan Drake's adventures, and I wasn't disappointed... entirely. The game looks fantastic, though that may be because I've never owned or played a video game in HD, whatever it is I was blown away. The jungle was lush, and green, and having never been to an actual jungle seemed to be fairly faithful (Thats after the pop in...). I think the visuals are the best thing about the game. Now I'm sure that as I play more games it will become less so, but as it is I was blown away. 

The story was serviceable. It was Indiana Jones light, and very much reminiscent of the National Treasure style. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable either. I couldn't tell you any of the villains names, or why the hell you fight the guy at the end (if only Drake carried a cell phone, he could have called for help on the ride to the boat). The take on El Dorado was interesting. It was nice to have something other than the stupid city of gold BS. But the payoff was pretty dumb. Zombies? Really? The guy in the making of stated something about not wanting to make a game where you fight monsters in dark hallways. Yeah... that's exactly what you do at the end. I guess he didn't play his own game. 

I can't comment on how good the gameplay is, I've only ever played Gears of War in the cover based genre, and I wasn't the best at it. Here, though, I had fun and that's more than I can say for some games. I've seen many complain about bullet sponging enemies, but I never really had too much of a problem with it. There was more than enough ammo lying around to even out the amount used. The game is challenging enough for me to get frustrated ( which I think is a good to a point, it makes me want to finish it all the more), but not enough to stop playing.  

I really do like Drake and Elena. He's the type of hero I like best. Kind of bumbling, but in control. Sarcastic, but not a dick. He's a great character. I can't say enough good things about Elena. Video Games never portray females in a good way, and when they try they just wind up Tomb Raidering themselves. Here, she seems like a real woman, and very much the female version of Drake. I can only hope she continues to be great in th sequel. I never got on board with Sully. He just came off too goofy for the setting and story. It's one thing to have Bruce Campbell in Burn Notice, but that exact character here doesn't work for me. 

One last thing I have to get off my chest. Why does every video game always have to end in some sort of half-assed climatic moment? Can't there be a game that doesn't turn into a final boss fight to end all boss fights but turns out to be kinda lame? Even my favorite game of all time, Psychonauts, falls into this trap. It's something movies have to deal with, and many action movies take different routes, but games usually never do. Even Indigo Prophecy did it. I realize that there is a mentality that you have to finish your game strong, but it ultimately feels forced and underwhelming. Focus on story before gameplay. 

Avatar image for translucentfish
    translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By translucentfish

Uncharted is my first disc game on the PS3. I've heard nothing but great things about it and its sequel. Well, more Uncharted 2, but I can never go into a series in the middle, stupid videogame OCD (obsessive collecting disorder). 

So I finished the first of Nathan Drake's adventures, and I wasn't disappointed... entirely. The game looks fantastic, though that may be because I've never owned or played a video game in HD, whatever it is I was blown away. The jungle was lush, and green, and having never been to an actual jungle seemed to be fairly faithful (Thats after the pop in...). I think the visuals are the best thing about the game. Now I'm sure that as I play more games it will become less so, but as it is I was blown away. 

The story was serviceable. It was Indiana Jones light, and very much reminiscent of the National Treasure style. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable either. I couldn't tell you any of the villains names, or why the hell you fight the guy at the end (if only Drake carried a cell phone, he could have called for help on the ride to the boat). The take on El Dorado was interesting. It was nice to have something other than the stupid city of gold BS. But the payoff was pretty dumb. Zombies? Really? The guy in the making of stated something about not wanting to make a game where you fight monsters in dark hallways. Yeah... that's exactly what you do at the end. I guess he didn't play his own game. 

I can't comment on how good the gameplay is, I've only ever played Gears of War in the cover based genre, and I wasn't the best at it. Here, though, I had fun and that's more than I can say for some games. I've seen many complain about bullet sponging enemies, but I never really had too much of a problem with it. There was more than enough ammo lying around to even out the amount used. The game is challenging enough for me to get frustrated ( which I think is a good to a point, it makes me want to finish it all the more), but not enough to stop playing.  

I really do like Drake and Elena. He's the type of hero I like best. Kind of bumbling, but in control. Sarcastic, but not a dick. He's a great character. I can't say enough good things about Elena. Video Games never portray females in a good way, and when they try they just wind up Tomb Raidering themselves. Here, she seems like a real woman, and very much the female version of Drake. I can only hope she continues to be great in th sequel. I never got on board with Sully. He just came off too goofy for the setting and story. It's one thing to have Bruce Campbell in Burn Notice, but that exact character here doesn't work for me. 

One last thing I have to get off my chest. Why does every video game always have to end in some sort of half-assed climatic moment? Can't there be a game that doesn't turn into a final boss fight to end all boss fights but turns out to be kinda lame? Even my favorite game of all time, Psychonauts, falls into this trap. It's something movies have to deal with, and many action movies take different routes, but games usually never do. Even Indigo Prophecy did it. I realize that there is a mentality that you have to finish your game strong, but it ultimately feels forced and underwhelming. Focus on story before gameplay. 

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By EightBitShik
    @translucentfish

It's funny that you said that about Bruce campbell because I was saying the same thing. I enjoyed the game very much and I am currently installing the second one. I felt the game was short enough that I could hop right into and not be burned out by the characters and gameplay. Anyone else that reads this did you notice that on the giantbomb overview someone under plot started telling the whole story detail by detail. They stopped about 40% thank god...lol I felt like I was reading a walk through.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gamb1t

I JUST BEAT UNCHARTED 2 DAYS AGO. all i have to say is wow i had a blast

Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @gamb1t said:
    It was the best gaming experience I had ever had.  Great fun.
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Cabbage_TheMan said:
    @gamb1t said:
    great game, i got a problem with the blue people...
    suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By suikoden352

both games are alot of fun. been a while since i have played though. never got around to playing the co-op stuff cuz i never had anyone to play with. i'm really looking forward to the 3rd one.

Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    @gamb1t said:
    I really like how Uncharted has a bit of fantasy in it and it's not completely grounded in our world.
    hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hoossy
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    @gamb1t said:

I agree though, Idk if I like how the game is pretty straight forward through 90 percent of it and then all of a sudden they throw in some sort of supernatural enemy to fight.  I prefer the straight up gameplay.   

But on the otherhand, I guess it helps vary up the shooting mechanics..
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hoossy said:
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    @gamb1t said:
    Avatar?   I agree though, Idk if I like how the game is pretty straight forward through 90 percent of it and then all of a sudden they throw in some sort of supernatural enemy to fight.  I prefer the straight up gameplay.    But on the otherhand, I guess it helps vary up the shooting mechanics..
    like i guess the sci fi element makes it a bit more dynamic but the blue people were a bit too much for me.  i didnt mind the zombies in the first game to be honest.  they were fun to kill

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.