Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted

Franchise »

Uncharted is a series of action-adventure games, combining third-person shooting with three-dimensional platforming. It follows the journeys of treasure hunter Nathan Drake.

Which do you rate as the best entry in the franchise so far?

• 51 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e5bc497650e6
    deactivated-5e5bc497650e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Personally I think Golden Abyss on the Vita is the best. It is the right length and just seems a bit more grounded than the PS3 games.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2 is the only good Uncharted.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The first one isn't even worth looking at. I think 3 is the most polished and has a more interesting story and compelling villain but ti's hard to beat those train set-pieces. I heard the Vita one was pretty average...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the second one

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Uncharted 2. I really didn't Like Uncharted, and Uncharted 3 was OK but nothing about it was great, besides the look.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still haven't gotten around to playing 3 yet. I guess 2 inches out 1 because the enemies were a little less bullet-spongy. Only a little though. Maybe I'll get around to 3 sometime soon.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely 2. 3 was still a really good game, but it`s weaker than 2 in most aspects and it just wasn`t the revelation that 2 was in it`s time.

jd_delgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jd_delgado

I'd say 2. I think 3 is a wonderful technical achievement and the gameplay is still there, but it's just so much more evolutionary —in contrast to 2, which feels more revolutionary. On the other hand, The Nathan Drake collection almost redeems 1 in my view since they fixed the shooting and now feels a little bit fairer.

On the other hand 3's multiplayer just rocks.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I liked the clean rugged simplicity of the first game and its story. Yet, I would have to say #2 is the best game, more refined game play and movement with a lot of blockbuster action moments.

I just wish they would tone down the mysticism/paranormal and overly 'monster' elements. I think a lot of that was Amy Hennig's writing and story telling, she does have a history of making properties with paranormal elements...that stuff should have been dropped after #1. JMO.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

2, easily. Having just replayed them all recently (it was actually my first time playing Drake's Fortune) via the Nathan Drake Collection, the second game is still by far the best of the series. I liked the third one a lot more than the first time I played it, though. I didn't find it nearly as frustrating as I remembered it being. It's still definitely a good game and had the right idea about not including a terrible boss fight like the end of 2 had, but overall 2 edges it out by a bit, namely for the set-pieces.

Playing the first game today was very interesting. I never really understood the huge leap in quality between 1 and 2, but woooow, it really is staggering. It's a moderately fun game for what it is, but it really isn't even in this conversation.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Easily 2. Frankly I was kinda disappointed with the first one. It looked nice, but I never really liked the actual gameplay. As for 3, I never finished it. The plane section felt ridiculous (why I think this in a series with Nazi zombies and big blue men I have no idea) and I stopped playing a couple minutes into the desert walking section. Never played the Vita one.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Had most fun playing 2. First one was ok and the Uncharted 3 was kinda boring and I didn't enjoy the characters as much as previously. All 3 are good games but like with Gears of War the third time I felt burned out.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought 2 was the better game, but I enjoyed 3 more if that makes any sense. 2 had better holy shit moments but had the same story problems as 1. 3 felt like a regular old straightforward story which, a lot of people thought was worse, but I think that game really needed it.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

I hear people say this and it makes me want to try 2 because the only Uncharted I played was Uncharted 3 and that game is hot garbage. I mean, MAN. I literally hate that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5bc497650e6
    deactivated-5e5bc497650e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 and Golden Abyss are very similar and more toned down than 2 and 3 which are like big highlight reels (to me anyway). The general consensus seems to be that those are what people prefer so it will be interesting to see how 4 turns out.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2, no contest. 3 shat the damn bed and the first, while decent, shows its age.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By glots

@bananasfoster said:

I hear people say this and it makes me want to try 2 because the only Uncharted I played was Uncharted 3 and that game is hot garbage. I mean, MAN. I literally hate that game.

It's really not that different in comparison to 2 (gameplay-wise), so I doubt you'll get lucky with it. But I've seen it go digitally as low as $4.99 on the PSN Store during big sales, so if you've got PS3, it's not a pricey try. In fact, I think Naughty Dog should have a sale happening on the upcoming tuesday.

For me, though, 2 was amazing and the first game on my PS3 that really felt like a big step from the previous generation. I liked 3 and especially some of it's set-pieces, but it didn't blow me away, because like said, it was more of a Uncharted 2.5. First game I probably wouldn't have finished without the decent story and likable characters. Felt pretty much the same when I bought the collection, except 1 felt even more like a prototype. I've played Golden Abyss a bit on the Vita and it doesn't seem bad, but since I only really use that thing when I'm travelling, I haven't gone back to it.

I've kinda lost my ability to get too hyped over games these days, but what I've allowed myself to see of Uncharted 4 has looked pretty great.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I rank the series 2,1,3. It's kind of unfair because if I revisited them I would probably say 3 is better than 1, but I was so disappointed with it when it came out that I've always been a little sour on it.

I liked the isolated feeling the first one had. Being on a creepy island with a bunch of modern pirates was such a cool concept. 2 is great for so many reasons.

I'm keeping my expectations for 4 in check, but the fact that the guys who directed the last of us are directing 4 has me excited.

thewalkingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 is the peak of the series, also Golden Abyss doesn't get enough love. Enjoyed it more than Uncharted 1 and almost as much as 3. 2 > 3 > Golden Abyss > 1 for me.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 by far. That game blew me away.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

The first one was impressive at the time, but two was such a huge step forward in every way.

There are parts of three that I'm a big fan of, but there are a couple of sections in that game that I absolutely hated.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@rethla said:

If you hated 3 that much, then you're going to hate 2 almost as much. Gameplay wise, pretty much the same concept - mediocre third person shooter wrapped up in a pretty, set-piece heavy package. 2 had a much better story and writing than 3, though, so there's that. And Uncharted's not my kind of thing at all, so I didn't really like any of these games.

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I'd vote Uncharted 2 as the best.

Uncharted 3's story succumbs to greater pacing and plot problems. Nate chases down the pirate Ramses because he thinks the bastard kidnapped Sully. But no, it was a ruse. I'm not bothered that Nate would risk his life for a friend on a whim, yet players spend so much time on that damn ship, and it contributes nothing to the overall narrative.

And we all know that Nate is one of the world's luckiest murderers. But how in the hell does he survive several days in a desert with no food and water, then instantly springs back to life the moment guards start popping shots at him?

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 is great for 90% while 3 is really awesome for the first half, especially the flashback section, up until that damn airfield area and almost everything after it is borderline frustrating. I did not like 1 whatsoever at the time because the shooting was unsatisfying and I found Nathan to be very unlikable so he just came across more like a selfish serial killer than in the later games. 2 was really something special at the time, and it mostly holds up, but the setpieces don't quite hit as hard the second time around obviously and I usually just get to that last section of the game and stop playing.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I agree with the consensus that 2 is the best. I actually like the first one the most from a story/pacing standpoint, and I think the mechanics in three are a little better, but 2 is the most well-rounded. Also, the train level is godlike.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Golden Abyss

in that order

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By supermonkey122

2 is amazing, definitely in the top 10 games of last gen. 3 is great, but doesn't quite reach the highs of 2. 1 is decent and Golden Abyss is mediocre.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 1. Second one is massively overrated imo and I didn't play any after that.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the 2 camp as well. Controls felt good, things flowed better than 1, world and story was fun. 3 felt off despite controlling well. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

2 feels the most like a complete package, but many parts of 3 are better. The plane sequence is amazing, the horseback convoy chase is better, the villains are more intriguing, a lot of the levels are more interesting. Just a lot of pieces that are more exciting on their own, but don't quite come together in the way everything in Uncharted 2 does.

And the first game gets a bad rap. It's actually pretty great!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

I can understand not liking 3, especially in comparison to 2, but hot garbage? If you really think it's hot garbage then I doubt you will like any uncharted game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 was such a step up that it made a much bigger impact than 3. But I've been replaying 3 lately and it's a lot better than I remember. Both games are fantastic, with surprisingly good multiplayer.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

But 1 and 2 were a fantastic 1-2 punch.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

2 was easily the best in the series and arguably one of the best games of that generation of consoles. 3 was good, but coming off of 2 it was kind of a let down. The ending was just about as anti-climactic as it gets. 1 was a decent but forgettable early PS3 game. Uncharted 4 looks pretty rad, but with all of these delays and hype around it I feel that most people will be let down if it is anything short of Uncharted 2 level of amazing.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 for single player. 2 for multi-player.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rafaelfc

2 is the best in the series, exciting from start to finish, perfectly paced, one of the best games of last generation. 1 was fun, but didn't quite reach the wow factor yet. 3 had TREMENDOUS pacing issues, and super annoying sections that made me almost put that game down before beating it.

I hope 4 changes things up enough to keep it fresh. By 3 the design and gameplay loop had run it's course.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 3 was over bashed. It's still a damn great game.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 > 3 > Vita > 1 > that weird card game.

georginacooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Golden Abyss on the Vita is my favorite

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 is a better game than 2 but it didn't bring a whole lot new to the table, simply refined an already fantastic formula. I'd always been in the 2 camp but going back last year with the collection and playing all of them removed from the timing of their release had me change my mind.

bart008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love them all but 2 is my favorite.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Shaunage

I love all three, but 2 is the highlight.

I've never understood why people didn't love the first game. It was fantastic. The second is a big jump, but that first game is great.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Despite all the flak I think I enjoyed Three just as much as Two, maybe more. They are honestly very similar games, but I guess people didn't want more of the same when three came out. Both of the stories are whack, but three had a much better ending if I recall. Regardless I enjoy these games for the characters rather than the story, which have always been fantastic throughout the series. And for as far as visuals go two obviously made a massive leap for all console games at the time and I think three probably ended up being the best looking game of last gen. If you totally ignore when they are released I think three stands out as the best game, but that's just me.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All three are amazing. 2 is probably one of the best games of the last generation though. It is to video games what the original Matrix was to movies. It completely changed how set pieces are handled, with the player remaining in full control in what would otherwise be cutscenes in most other games. You're free to like or dislike whatever you want, but if you can't at least recognize the significance of what 2 did for video games, we probably don't see eye to eye on much.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaunage said:

I love all three, but 2 is the highlight.

I've never understood why people didn't love the first game. It was fantastic. The second is a big jump, but that first game is great.

The first one was great as a new ip and proof of concept but had very rough edges. In the second one they really nailed most things and achieved their vision. For number 3 they didnt know what to do and it was just slightly refined graphics with more monster closets and carbon copy parkours of 2 but i felt the whole game lacked any focus or reason to exist. The multiplay was alright but it aint why im comming to Uncharted. Interestingly i could say just about the same for Jak and Daxter 1-3.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 > 1 > 3. 2 I loved 1 and 2, I played them back to back and still thought they were great. 3 I found to be really frustrating.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 is best, I liked them all.

llexan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Uncharted 2 was such a blast when it came out. The multiplayer alone convinced two of my friends to get a PS3 for it haha.

So yeah, guess I'll go with 2.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By ArtisanBreads

2 for sure. Had a blast playing it and on that first play through some of those moments (particularly the moving train, convoy, building falling) were so cool to see. I think the first one is actually kind of bad. I didn't enjoy the shooting and it didn't have the kind of moments that 2 did. It had some really poor moments and none of the highs 2 had for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.