Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Undertale

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 15, 2015

A quirky role-playing game that takes place in a secret subterranean world of monsters and gives players the choice to either kill or spare their enemies.

Difficulty spikes?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

I'm working my way through Undertale and love it so far. The writing and music is wonderful and I really like the way it subverts normal RPG battle mechanics to humorous effect.

I'm doing a no-kill play through and have rage quit several of the boss fights now. The difficulty of them and the dodging and reactions required seem to come out of nowhere.

I know there are some secret ways to bypass certain fights but I mean just normal play. I've been able to defeat the bosses eventually but it's taking dozens of attempts and is kinda souring the experience somewhat.

That said, my friend who recommended it to me had no trouble. And I defeated the Ruin Sentinels so I can do this, I want to see the ending.

Did anyone else get frustrated in the same way? I love everything else about it.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

There are DEFINITELY some difficult fights that had me banging my head against until I finally got them.

So don't feel bad if you're having trouble (if that's what you're getting at).

BTW, are you having difficulty with any one boss in particular? If so, which one (in spoiler tags, I suppose)?

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There were a few fights that I had to sleep on and beat the next day. I don't know about dozens but definitely double-digit deaths.

Are you using a controller? You might try switching to keyboard or dpad if you feel like you're getting nowhere. This is a completely different situation, but I've been playing Flywrench and I got to some levels that I swear are impossible to beat using analog, at least on my controller.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah, the game gets preeeeeetty tough when you're playing Pacifist style. I would even go so far as to say that it gets too hard for its own good.

It's frustrating, but it's 100% worth it. Especially for the pacifist path.

You can do it!

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: That's the thing that sunk the game for me. I'd be more forgiving if the gameplay ever switched it up and tried something different, but after more than a few "there's no way that hit me" moments, the realization that I'd have to go and do that for another couple bosses drove me straight to Youtube to see the ending. It's like an inverse MGSV; the story and characters are pretty great, but I had next to no fun actually playing it.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Yeah it got pretty difficult for me too, but there is a secret item I found that made the combat a lot easier. I can tell you how to get it, if you want.

What secret boss fight bypasses are you talking about anyway? I only know the one for Muffet, and some others that can make some fights slightly easier but not skip them entirely.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If you are playing the pacifist route on your first time through the game, then you are voluntarily opting into a more difficult version of the game. So yeah, of course it's not easy.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: Sorry, by 'bypassing' I more meant the secrets that make things easier, like the Muffet example.

Update: I got past Mettaton and am now at the fight with Asgor. And it's a similar kind of situation for me. I really enjoyed the set-up between these fights, the story detail and the way it is presented. Especially how reluctant Asgore seems to be when you meet him.

But then the fight starts and seems to just destroy me. Dodging some of the attacks seems impossible. Of course there is a way through it and if I keep at it I will be able to just memorise my way through the fight. But as it stands, I'm not enjoying these fights and feel like I have spent a disproportionate amount of my time with this game trying to get through them.

Venting over.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Buy a whole ton of sea tea and bicicles, stay at the hotel, then do the fight. I found it pretty easy when I had 10 healing items and starting with double health.

Sheeqp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sheeqp

I know this thread is old by now but I'm sure someone will come across it like I have. I've been playing the PS4 version and honestly the only problems I had in the pacifist run were with Spear Fish (not using name because I can't tag spoilers on phone). Even then I was done with her after 3 tries. The only real difficulty spike I've seen started halfway through genocide run, starting with Spear Fish and quadrupling with the Final Boss. I finished pacifist in 1 day, and ive literally spent the last 2 days throwing myself at Final Boss. I still thoroughly enjoyed the game, and the combat was honestly the main reason I wanted to play so badly. I know it is a turn off for some but getting past frustratingly difficult fights is the most fulfilling thing in the world for me (the reason I poured 2 years of my life in to Dark Souls)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.