Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Undertale

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 15, 2015

A quirky role-playing game that takes place in a secret subterranean world of monsters and gives players the choice to either kill or spare their enemies.

How do you feel about Undertale?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll How do you feel about Undertale? (1093 votes)

Love it 32%
    Like it 19%
    Neutral 13%
    Dislike it 7%
    Hate it 3%
    No opinion 26%

Go on, tell me how you really feel. Don't worry, this is just your friendly neighbourhood internet poll...

Personally, I'm in the 'love it' camp. I don't think it's perfect, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

I haven't played it yet. What I'm hearing about it doesn't really make me want to play it, either.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

I never bought it, kinda didn't look like my kind of thing after seeing the quick look. I didn't hate anything I saw of it either, so I guess I'm neutral or something, it just didn't grab my interest at all.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

It's fine? I enjoyed parts of it and thought it was pretty clever in a few ways, but I wasn't as completely enchanted with it as most other people seem to be. If anything, I found it entirely boring and repetitive at a point, wishing it was over faster. It's not that funny and it's craziest moments are cool but not entirely original.

Hard to tell if it's just overhype and my own cynicism that kept me from loving it or if it just isn't as good as the Internet wants people to believe.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Somewhere between dislike and hate. On one hand, what I've experienced of the tone, themes, and humor all seem enjoyable and occasionally great. On the other hand, the entirety of the gameplay is constantly fluctuating between boring, tedious, and frustrating to the point where I couldn't keep playing because I didn't need all that aggravation. So I dislike the game as a whole but also sorta hate it because it's actively preventing me from experiencing a narrative that, by all accounts, is right up my alley.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

Liked it. Lots of smart ideas, writing created a world that was worth exploring for the most part but ultimately the overhype around the game kind of diluted the experience for me. Great foundation that i hope inspires more games that i would rather play, to be honest.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

While it didn't help that folks have been hyping that game up to a ludicrous extreme, I didn't really think it was that good of a game. The sense of humor didn't really gel with me, and they had a habit of sticking on one joke too long. The narrative felt a bit too earnest, I suppose, in what they were trying to convey. A little too first-year-art-student-doesn't-this-make-you-like-really-THINK, man? The bullet-hell stuff was kind of inconsistent. Enjoyable fights, dull fights, and everything in between. Puzzles were forgettable. I was a pacifist, so I don't know if the RPG stuff was at all engaging. As for the ending (that I reached), I disliked it. The idea of doing another run through the game, watching the same cutscenes, seeing the same jokes, and fighting the same enemies wasn't an appealing idea. All for what, a little more closure? I know the game is only four hours long, but fuuuuuuck that.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I love it. But when I see people calling it their GOTY or even their GOAT, I'm a little befuddled.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

It's an awful game with half-decent humour masquerading as some fantastic piece in the medium

I didn't like it while I was playing it, and like it even less now

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd like it more if the characters weren't awful, the jokes not terrible, and the game wasn't so obvious as the 'right' way to play it.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I heard it's the best game of all time, right?

Sadly haven't found the time to actually play it myself yet, so right now I don't hold any opinion on it.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted no opinion because I haven't played it, but for what I've seen it seems to me as it's way overrated.

Just a cute game that people lost their shit over because you can rug everyone instead of killing.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the best game ever option?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looks alright. Didn't buy it, but didn't seem bad or amazing. Just ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Love it. I think a lot of the "better than thou" attitude people get from it is mostly from the community. Similar to how The Witcher 3 is a pretty great game despite the obnoxious attitude of that game's following.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By monetarydread

I stopped playing after an hour because I was feeling nothing but ambivalence. I keep hearing people talk about it like its the second coming, but I didn't, so maybe this game just isn't for me. I also don't give a fuck about stories in games, and I definitely don't get any satisfaction from breaking them down to analyze them afterwards, so maybe that has something to do with my reaction.

If I ever go back and finish it, it will be because of my desire to play a JRPG.... but the game tries to, "balance," away all the things I loved about old JRPG's, so I dunno.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

One of the best games I played this year. I am in the "love it" category, but not in the "OMG BEST GAME EVER" category.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The excessively rabid fanbase pushed me from dislike to hate.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i haven't played it i kinda wanna do it to see what the buzz is about but i really hate turn based combat so i probably hate it if i do it

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it. It was something I'm glad I experienced. Innovative engaging combat system, amazing soundtrack, and it's the most inspiring indie game I ever played. Incredible how he made this with Gamemaker, and FL. The game really did come out at the right time, and this Gamefaqs Tumblr army is giving the game lots of publicity. Much overblown praise, but I don't mind it since I found myself quite fond of UNDERTALE.

@monetarydread said:

I stopped playing after an hour because I was feeling nothing but boredom. I keep hearing people talk about it like its the second coming, but I didn't, so maybe this game just isn't for me. I also don't give a fuck about stories in games, and I definitely don't get any satisfaction from breaking them down to analyze them afterwards, so maybe that has something to do with my reaction.

Dude you play a game that you bought for an hour, and drop it in an hour(waste of $$$ man!)? Give it a fair shake. If it helps, the whole game's quality kind of hit me all at once with the last 2 hours . It get's better, and everything you are finding "silly" kind of comes full circle, and makes sense by the end. Surprisingly powerful too.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#20  Edited By bassguy

It's okay. I think the huge amount of praise is a little ridiculous, but I'm not offended by it or anything. But the fact that it pisses off GamerGaters is enough for it to make me smile.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not finished so not final thoughts but I like parts of it.

As I documented in another thread, I found the boss fights to be hugely frustrating. After seeing the initial twist on the mechanics for a particular fight I wanted them to be over as soon as I could. The 'bullet hell' mechanics in those fights are not fun for me at all. It either feels like you can't dodge the attack and you need to brute force your way with luck and healing items, or you need to spend time dying over and over to perfectly memorise the incoming sequence of attacks.

And it feels like I have spent more time batting those boss mechanics than enjoying the characters and music. Which are both great, the writing and the world and the structure of the game are all very nice.

I still need to see the ending because I hear it's neat. As it stands I am in the ''parts of this are cool and parts are un-fun" category.

Now let me tell you about a game called Hotline Miami.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By afabs515

It's my personal goty, but I'm not in the "rabid" following of the game. I think a lot of what does it for me stems from how I had no idea what to expect going in because I had never heard of the game before watching the quick look. Then it did something I love in games, which is revealing itself to be deeper than it first appears after my first playthrough. I don't think this game is revolutionary or anything, but it was fun to play, had a decent story, and was pretty deep for what it was. It was one of the happiest surprises I've had in gaming in a long time.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I feel like I'm 80-90% through the game right now based on time spent with the game and where I am in the story. So I haven't finished it.

That said, I really like parts of it. However, most later boss fights are tedious. A few random encounters can be tedious as well. Some characters are great, some are not so great, but it still feels like the game is trying to go "He he, what a charmingcharacter this is!! Woo-hoo for this charmingsituation!!" Don't get me wrong. Some parts and characters are awesome. But some parts are just "pretty good."

I haven't seen anything that made me cry or change who I was as a person though. This really feels like one of the cases the internet sours something good by turning up the HYPE!!! and throwing around random memes and inside jokes. (Guys!! Did you know spiders have bake sales?!?!?!?!??!?!?! Guys!!!!! You can date a skeleton!!!!!!1!11!! Determination!!!!!!! hahahhahahahahhahahahha) I would just say "Yeah, this game is really good" if there wasn't this mystic about it.

Who knows. Maybe the last part of the game is fucking incredible, but so far Undertale seems like it is only "really good". I don't quite get the GOAT HYPE around it though...

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No interest whatsoever, and the more then pushy fanbase it has makes me even less interested, so I won't be playing it. I'm not huge on the art style, and the whole mini-game aspect as combat would probably drive me up the wall, as I'm sure I'd die a lot.

That being said, I hope it wins that Gamefaqs poll, cause that would just be grand. Not L-Block for best character grand, but still pretty good.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Onemanarmyy

pretty good. Not a life-changing game though. 8/10

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it. I did not find it outrageously high-larious like a lot of people seemed to, but I had a good chuckle now and again. Though, I honestly don't quite understand the massive amounts of praise it gets, making it seem like it's the second coming of christ. Maybe I just don't "get it", but it just seems like another one of those fun little indie games that I'll completely forget exists a few months from now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: This is how I feel like almost every cult hit in history ends up being. Small but dedicated fanbases picking up something unexpectedly pretty good and beating their chest about how it's one of their favorite ____s of all time, and almost anytime you look into a cult hit that gets that kind of loud support, it almost always ends up being "Yeah, this is good" and can never possibly live up to the hype. I finally stopped giving every cult phenomenon my attention when I got tired of listening, for years, to people talking up how good the Clue movie is - it was alright with an amusing and quirky sense of charm, but ultimately it's just above average with an unusual element or two. In other words, basically every cult hit you've heard about since Rocky Horror. Undertale just strikes me as another example of this.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By NeverGameOver

I enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty funny, great music, played off tropes, etc. I knew nothing at all about it going in except for the fact that it was well received. And I probably did not get a lot of the references, but I played a ton of games this year (probably ~40ish) and it's currently 11th on my GOTY list. That said, some of the hyperbole is a bit offputting, so I voted that I liked it.

GnosisLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It had a lot of heart and would be on my shortlist for GOTY.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like the Steam description, it also seemed pretty unfunny and like it was relying mostly on subverting tropes or something in the Quick Look which I'd prefer with some more finesse, so pass.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't sure about it, but once I met the skeleton brothers some 30 minutes in, I knew why people enjoyed the game.

It's not GOTY, but it's pretty great.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool. The characters are fun to draw, too.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By beforet

Is "mildly obsessed" an oxymoron?

I feel like Undertale has left a real impression with me, out of all the games I played this year (which, admittedly, wasn't much). I'm still in the post game afterglow, having finished my last run only yesterday, so that's coloring my feelings I'm sure. On the other hand, if before this game you had come at me with the phrase 'post game afterglow' in reference to a fucking video game I probably would have thought you were insane.

Someone bought it for my girlfriend, and we tied it to my steam account, so I didn't have to pay for it, but after completing the Pacifist run I bought the soundtrack at $10 mostly to give the guy some money. I appreciated that it was such a short experience, because it was also a dense experience (plus I don't have an abundance of time). Excluding the Hotlands. That was a grind. Was kinda relieved when the Genocide run skips over almost all of it.

And it just feels so genuine, and the writing is fairly versatile with its tone. It was described as "twee" on the Bombcast before, and that is certainly one way to play that game, but it can also be the exact opposite. It can be dark, and way more importantly it can actually pull off dark well. Most games (and really media in general) that go for "dark" drop the ball completely, but the Genocide run, I feel, really nailed what it was going for. Especially with the whole addressing/pleading to the player. I find that stuff by default hokey and trite, but Undertale managed to be subtle about it, though my subtlty could easily be someone else's sledgehammer.

I don't necessarily think it's the best game ever made, but its a short list of games that have really stayed with me the way Undertale managed to. A lot of it felt real. Not realistic, just real.

Also, I managed to avoid the hype. Which, you know, I'm not helping with this. But hey, it's an opinion thread.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Factually and objectively the greatest game of all-time.

Haven't played it.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Factually and objectively the greatest game of all-time.

Haven't played it.

I mean, we have determined this through science.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the people wondering what all the hype around the game is about I suggest you beat and complete the game. No, I don't mean you beat the game once and put it down. You need to FULLY beat the game. The things that everyone talks about can't be experienced in the first playthrough. It isn't like you are playing the game again for a new 5 minute ending. There is literally a large part of the game/story that isn't available at the start because that situation is part of the plot.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#38  Edited By Slag

It's this year's Shovel Knight. A really good indie game that aped a classic NES games's graphics and gameplay that people hyped up to absolutely insane levels.

Seriously though, ask me again after it's been on Steam Sale and I've had a chance to really play it.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dprotp

@golguin said:

For the people wondering what all the hype around the game is about I suggest you beat and complete the game. No, I don't mean you beat the game once and put it down. You need to FULLY beat the game. The things that everyone talks about can't be experienced in the first playthrough. It isn't like you are playing the game again for a new 5 minute ending. There is literally a large part of the game/story that isn't available at the start because that situation is part of the plot.

To be fair, the game straight up tells you that there's still some shit left after getting the first credits roll--"maybe if x had y"--remember?

Unless you're talking about killing absolutely everything, sure. I guess. Never touched it myself mainly because of how tedious it gets (and that last fight is a bit too tough, so I'll pass), and it's easily watchable and still interesting on YouTube anyway, if that's your kind of thing.

Undertale's pretty rad. #2 or #3 on my personal GOTY list, easily.

frequent838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By frequent838

Came in pretty ambivalent, thinking it's just blatant nostalgia pandering (ala Shovel Knight)-ended up being my GOTY. Don't get me wrong, there are issues with it, but as an experience greater than the sum of its parts, I think it makes a really powerful impact on an emotional level that a game hasn't made on me in a while. The gameplay doesn't have a lot of depth and I understand why some people might be turned off by its bullet hell nature, but I loved the way it uses its mechanics to reflect each individual monsters'personality and each subsequent boss fight was memorable and fun in the way it added a new gimmick or element to a boss fight. There are some issues that need to ironed out, but I think it's brilliant that gameplay is working in tandem with the story in a very narrative driven game. It's my personal favourite game this year, but I feel like the hyperbole from the fanbase is building unreasonable expectations that's its never going to fulfill if you're going into this game with them in mind. Definitely something that needs to be experienced in its entirety (as in neutral, pacifist and genocide route) to really get the gist of what the game is building upon and something that needs to be experienced in general even if you'll end up hating it. Spending an hour or two, or just watching the quick look really doesn't reveal the entirety of what's lurking beneath the surface of this game. I knew my mind wasn't blown away by it an hour or two in during my first playthrough.

CabooseMSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fine, relatively simple gameplay and easy fights, but thats kind of the point. I liked it, im not in the crazy cult status of fans though. I think it introduced enough storywise and humor wise to keep me interested, but it was fairly linear and not too in depth. I say its a solid 4/5 or so.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#42  Edited By isomeri

@starvinggamer: @wemibelec90: I largely agree with you two. The game took on some themes which are not often explored in games. That may be why many have latched onto it so hard. However the handling of the topics remained slightly juvenile compared to how they're handled in other art forms like film, contemporary art, books or music. The humor was good in some spots and dull in others. The gameplay felt innovative on a few occasions, but grew annoying over time and the pacing and level design could've been tightened up considerably.

Overall it was an interesting game, but I'm not putting it anywhere near my top 10 of this year.

EDIT: Oh the music was pretty dope tho'!

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked it. Just short of loving it, I didn't think the combat was actually much fun and the pacing wasn't tight enough for me.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#44  Edited By SubwayD

I'm in the love it camp. Played it back to back with MGSV and had one of the best gaming times I've had in a long while. Pretty much polar opposites on the gaming spectrum, but they complimented each other well. Metal Gear was the more uneven of the two, so it's certainly looking like Undertale is my GOTY for 2015.

Damn it. That game was so good! I want to go play it again so I can hang out with a bunch of MSPaint monsters. :P

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I feel nothing. It doesn't seem like the kind of game I'd enjoy, so I'll probably not play it.

I do enjoy reading about this whole GameFaqs debacle, though.

frequent838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

@starvinggamer: @wemibelec90: I largely agree with you two. The game took on some themes which are not often explored in games. That may be why many have latched onto it so hard. However the handling of the topics remained slightly juvenile compared to how they're handled in other art forms like film, contemporary art, books or music.

It handles them in a juvenile way...because it is juvenile? The game and its characters are never presented as some high brow or art house spectacle, but always as a collection to various tropes and cliches from 16 bit era JRPGs from the 90s. It's like expecting a Disney film to be Dostoevsky. It's fine if you're not into that, but expecting it to be something that it never set out to be is disingenuous. I don't understand people berating the game's storytelling for a lack of subtlety. This is a game with goofy skeletons and dumb robot talk show hosts.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Redhotchilimist

It's good. Gave me the same experience as a good jrpg(the going on an adventure with friends-type) in 10 hours instead of 80. Flowey's backstory is annoyingly convoluted, and for as short as it was the combat dragged by the end. But I had a good time and I like the cast. The fandom can be tiresome, but whatever. If you let fans ruin your enjoyment of something there will be nothing left to enjoy.

Also the animations were funny and the music was cool.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By newmoneytrash

i'm like an hour into it but i have no drive to go back to it at all

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By Shaunage

I'm sure I haven't played enough to have a real opinion on it, but I'm a long way from convinced. I kind of hate it early on.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not as good as SSX or TimeSplitters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.