Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Unpacking

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 02, 2021

A game about moving homes and arranging belongings.

I'm happy Unpacking made me cry

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Movies make me cry. TV shows make me cry. Books can make me cry, I absolutely blubbered during a book just last year. Those videos of teenagers asking their stepfathers to adopt them make me cry.

But videos game rarely make me cry.

Red Dead Redemption has the distinction of being the first game I remember sobbing to. I remember just sitting with the controller in my hand, the game waiting for me, and frozen in sadness.

But few games go there for me. You can probably determine a few reasons why. A lot of games focus on shooting or survival. Many focus a lot on gameplay design and loops long before a story is squeezed in between. Whatever the reason games just seem to avoid the tear-jerking zone for me.

Then I played through Unpacking.

Spoilers for Unpacking below, it's only a few hours to get through and I recommend it!

If you haven't played Unpacking, allow me to fill you in. You're in charge of opening and emptying the contents of several moving boxes. Piece by piece you place each object in its proper spot until finally moving on to the next level. Quickly you'll discover that the game is unraveling a narrative. Beginning in a young girl's room you're now moving into a college dorm, then into an apartment with a roommate, and then into a boyfriend's apartment. This is where you hit a wall.

He didn't have room for the good knife OR the rice cooker, what a bad boyfriend.
    He didn't have room for the good knife OR the rice cooker, what a bad boyfriend.

Unlike the previous homes, there are few spots for your stuff. Games and books might be stacked or shoved wherever they fit. Kitchen gadgets that were just the pride and joy of your kitchen counter are now all awkwardly on the kitchen island. And your college degree can't be hung on any of the walls forcing your to stash it in the closet or under the bed. It feels alienating. Isolating. As the player you understand this relationship, despite all the promise of cohabitating, will not work out.

It's an emotional roadblock that gets bookended by the next level, moving back home. The full layout of the home can be seen but you're limited to a bedroom and shared bathroom. Your digital life is back to square one and it feels demoralizing.

You move out again into a sparse apartment. However, the following level just repeats and now all your carefully placed things are being joined by someone else's carefully placed stuff. And then there's the final level.

No Caption Provided

The experiences in Unpacking are probably not universal, but the feelings are. Feelings we all can understand. When the character moves in with her boyfriend it strangely feels lonely and alienating when it should be a loving and accepting moment in her life. When she moves home you feel the bittersweet sense of defeat and relief woven together.

And the final level is a home. A full home, with an office, dining room, and nursery. Unpacking the baby's things and neatly preparing for all the love, joy, and happiness in the future for this burgeoning family makes me well up just thinking about it.

Not because it's sad, but because all the emotions and misfires the character suffers make that final move feel like a real home. Those things we keep around us that share our weird journey reflect where we've been and Unpacking tells us none of those feelings are unique to us. A weird sense of comfort that loneliness, futility, and unsureness are all shared.

I cried because sadness can feel isolating. I cried because Unpacking, to me, is about how sadness isn't the dead end it fools us into believing. We all share these basic common links and somehow that makes our journey a little bit less lonely.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

While it did not bring me to tears, I think it is such a fantastically well executed, lovely piece of story-telling through gameplay. It's just so good at conveying what it wants to convey, whether that is who the character is, what they're feeling, or the story and it's themes. All just by going through boxes.

Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Great write-up, thanks for sharing! Glad the game resonated so strongly with you.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By CoinMatze

You put my feelings into words so perfectly here.

Video games actually make me cry often because I'm drawn to these kinds of personal games. And even among them Unpacking feels kinda special. I've been recommending it to all my non-gaming friends because it's so easy to play yet conveys so much with its simple interactions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.