Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Until Dawn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 25, 2015

In this PlayStation 4 horror game, eight teenagers are being hunted while they stay at a mountain retreat.

Until Dawn - How crazy is the gore?

feive_vz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By feive_vz

Hey duders.

I started watching the GBE Play Dates of Until Dawn recently and it looks great. I really loved Heavy Rain and thought this'd be a nice game to pick up. I don't mind horror, but I'm not a huge fan of grotesque violence. I don't mind people dying etc, but anything to do with mutilation and eyes and so on makes me feel kinda queezy.

I was just wondering - how bad does this game get? Does looking away from the screen for a few seconds generally suffice to avoid it, or does it make you interact with corpses that look totally gross? So far on the Play Dates (I'm 30mins into Play Date 2) nothing seems too far outside of my comfort zone, but I'd love to hear from people who've completed the game and seen the worst of what it has to offer. I'm likely to accidentally make stupid choices for sure.

Apologies if it seems stupid - just the line for me between horror I like and horror I don't like can be awfully thin! (For reference; I'd never go and see a Saw movie or anything like that).

Thanks!

Edit: It may be relevant to note here; I live in Japan, so I'd be getting the censored Japanese version! I have no idea what they censored though. I can't look it up because it'd be pretty spoiler-y.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There can definitely be some cringe worthy moments depending on choices you make and how things play out.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should be fine with looking away. It never gets too crazy (although I probably haven't seen all the deaths), and you've probably seen the worst stuff where you're at in the Playdate already.

Pretty sure there's no real interacting with gore either. There might be bodies chilling out that you can look at, but there wasn't any "pull apart this guy's face to find a key" type of interaction from what I can remember.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I can't really stand excessive gore myself, but nothing in the game bothered me that much. Not that there aren't violent deaths, but they don't spend excessives amounts of time glorifying it like some horror movies and games.

feive_vz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie:That's good - the main worry were eye-related-deaths and going into bodies for important items. I've seen through some Google-Fu there is at least one eye-related death, but due to cringing I never saw to whom and whether or not I have to look at it.That's the only thing that worries me before buying this :o

Do you know what was cut from the Japanese version?

@excast: Is there enough notice that I could just look to the side before they happen? The Josh decapitation with the buzzsaw thing wasn't too bad - it's really faces that I don't like seeing get messed up. And obviously the privates.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MezZa

You should be fine. Usually something violent only happens when you fail, so you will know that you are getting someone killed and can look away. Like if you fail a sequence or choose the wrong option. You can kinda get a feel for how things are going and look away as the scene happens. They don't go from walking peacefully to people suddenly being ripped apart without warning or anything like that.

The deaths typically have one theme in common, and it doesn't really relate to the face. The two I can think of are very hard to end up seeing. I can only speak for the american version, but there is one REALLY bad moment if you don't like face gore. It happens no matter what. If anything is censored though it might be this scene because this was probably the most gruesome scene in the game. Just to repeat though, you'll have ample warning that shit is getting gross before it happens.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feive_vz: They don't give you a lot of notice at all. The Beast crew gets caught off guard a couple times. Specifically when the guy gets hung on a big hook by his lower jaw and when another guy's head gets smashed like a melon.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MezZa

@itwongo: I would argue that those are well telegraphed moments. Those characters are clearly being attacked by something in a game where anyone can die. Matt is dragged for a good 5-10 seconds and can't do anything unless you made the right choices. Josh on the other hand is gripped by the thing for another good 5-10 seconds and clearly isn't getting away. If you don't expect them to die after being caught then I don't know what to tell you. The game also pretty much lets you know that it won't pull punches in showing the death scenes with the unavoidable josh scene that happens before anyone else can die. There's no warning on how they die, but you're given no reason to sit there and think things will be okay when these start to happen.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

With some of the violent moments, you can see what's down the road. It's not like people randomly get killed in a split second.

There's nothing like searching a corpse to find clues. However, with the "Previously on Until Dawn" intros, you will typically see a death/something violent happen more than once, but those parts only last a few seconds. So maybe look away when you think something really bad is going to happen and divert your eyes during the flashback intros? My playthrough and the Playdate has what I imagine to be the most violent scene in the game. But sometimes a character can die and they just cut away. Like "And so-and-so's dead. Yeah, nothing special or super violent about that. Alright, moving on..."

For the Japanese release, I think it was primarily one scene, and reading through your spoiler tags in another post it sounds like you already saw that part. Josh's death.

Playdate spoilers for the part you have seen so far: Was Jessica's death too much for you? If not, then you should be fine. Not to say that that is the most violent thing I saw in Until Dawn, but all of the more violent scenes (at least what I've seen) is relative to what happened to Jessica or Josh. The game doesn't get that much more violent and not every death focuses on the gore aspect like what happened to Josh.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: Ah so the scene (don't read this feive or anyone else who hasn't seen the last chapter) at the end where Josh is hallucinating about his two sisters is uncensored in the Japanese release? That's the part I think that might bother him the most since one of the girls rips her own face off and stands there talking for a good while. Other than that I think Jessica's second death option where they show her jaw actually being ripped off rather than just her corpse dropping and Emily getting her eyes gouged out are probably the only spots he really won't like based on what he's said so far.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

There are maybe 3 or 4 pretty graphic things in the whole Playdate. A game like Gears of War is hundreds of times more gory than Until Dawn. By my estimate.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By clagnaught

@mentaldisruption:

<don't read this OP/anybody if you haven't finished the game>

Oh right, I forgot about the twin hallucination scene. Yeah I suppose that could bother some people with the whole pulling off my skin aspect. I was dancing around it, but I was thinking about how Matt's death was one of the more violent things, where he gets impaled by the hook and gargles in his own blood. I got a little side tracked after I finished Until Dawn for the first time (thanks to the Playdate and MGSV), so I haven't gone through a second playthrough yet. For some reason, Alex and I had similar outcomes on a lot of scenes. (Jessica, Matt, and Josh died at the same time. We both flipped the light switch too early and cooked some people) So yeah, I didn't know there was an alternate death for Jessica where you see her jaw being ripped off or Emily's eyes being gouged out. Likewise I didn't choose to separate or leave people behind at certain times, so I assume people like Ashley and Chris have other deaths that I also don't know about.

I still want to have one run where I save everybody and one run where I kill everybody. I just need to find the time to mess around with that side of the game more.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: yeah the two I mentioned are kind of hard to get and only happen at one specific moment each. I definitely recommend experimenting to see if you can find all of them.

feive_vz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: Thanks for the feedback - I'd be happy to just look to the side in those recaps - That doesn't seem too much to ask. As for the question in the spoiler tags;

Jessica's death wasn't too bad - it was definitely pretty gross though. The only thing that concerned me was it looked like Alex had to interact with her before the corpse would fall down - if there was a corpse with some gross facial deformity I had to interact with I'd be pretty creeped out.

I would hope that censored version got rid of the face stuff - Josh's death was gross but I feel like there could be worse in the game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By monkeyking1969

@excast said:

There can definitely be some cringe worthy moments depending on choices you make and how things play out.

I think that is what I would say.
    But even the gore when it is shown is somewhat subdued in a 'film grain' sort of way. I'm not a fan of gore at all, but even I was able to watch it without my stomach turning. The nice part is there is only one spot where gore happens where you are expected within two seconds to be pressing buttons again. In most cases, you can hide your eyes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.