Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vagrant Story

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 10, 2000

Elite Riskbreaker Ashley Riot tracks the bloodstained trail of a mysterious cult leader through the mystical city of Lea Monde, in this cult classic action-tactical-RPG hybrid from Squaresoft.

I feel that the combat system

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By epgpx

is broken and harsh and annoying. Only the hardcore or the most determined can play through this games frustrating combat system. which is a shame because the game really is beautiful and has a great visual art style that resembles that of a painting on a canvas.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By suneku

I liked it, mainly because the style was different at the time.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By lordofultima

I really enjoyed Vagrant Story, and I remember liking the chaining system at the time, I may have to scrounge up a copy and play again sometime.

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By epgpx

The game definitely is a beautiful game but the chain system feels to repetative and I never pull off great combos but low hit combos. Did any of you guys beat it?

Shervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Shervin

I agree with you... I gave up Vagrant Story, because the battle system felt outdated and slow-paced. 

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By epgpx

I haven't given up on it just yet. Its just that I haven't gotten around to playing it. I will sometime soon. I remember that I beat Rosencrantz for the first time. I'm right around that area. I don't know how far I'm into the game.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By logson

I liked it. I don't remember everything about it, but I was reminded of Vagrant Story when I saw the E3 demos of Fallout 3's VATS.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By lordofultima

I beat it, when it came out. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if my first experience with it was in 2008.

bmovie_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bmovie_hero

Hmm I'm inclined to agree with you. I think the combat system is extremely complicated and has a really harsh learning curve - some parts of it are quite misleading and I would say slightly flawed in their design.

I'm about half way through it and stuck on a boss, I've had it for years and ever so often I crawl a bit further through it. Like you said I think it's a great shame as the game has an interesting story, fantastic design and atmosphere - however it just takes a bit of work I wouldn't quite call it a be or end all flaw.

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By epgpx
    lordofultima said:
    "I beat it, when it came out. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if my first experience with it was in 2008."
    I've been playing the game since it first came out.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I hated it with a passion. It made me stop playing. Just like FFXII, it was complicatied and time-consuming just for complication's sake. Using it wasn't fun, it was work.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Axersia
    Meowayne said:
    "I hated it with a passion. It made me stop playing. Just like FFXII, it was complicatied and time-consuming just for complication's sake. Using it wasn't fun, it was work."
    lol, if you found FFXII complicated, perhaps you just find RPGs as a whole complicated?

EddDoubleD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EddDoubleD

I liked it as it was a upgraded version of the one in parasite eve which is one of my fav games.

halibut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By halibut

This is probably my favorite ps1 game.  It is freaking hard when you don't know how the weapon/enemy system works though.  It took me 5 years of on-again off-again playing to finally beat it, but man was it worth it.

The story, the translation, the graphics, the gameplay (once you understand it), the setting... all absolutely spot on.  The only issue is with the learning curve.   I think I'm gonna go play it again.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By jakob187

If you don't like the combat system in Vagrant Story, then you are no good at video games in general.  The combat system was simple and easy to pick up, and it was a nice modification on the PE combat engine...which sucked hairy balls.

I also don't think that any claim about this game in a negative way can even be given without someone laughing in those peoples' face, because of this:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Soul Calibur
    Vagrant Story
    Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    Nintendogs
    Final Fantasy XII
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

That's the only 8 games in Famitsu history to receive a perfect score.  Given that Famitsu are some of the hardest video game critics around...that pretty much says to me, as it should say to everyone, that Vagrant Story is one for the ages and NEEDS a new installment ASAP!  We just gotta get Matsuno on the job...
    Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Balls

Well vagrant story didn't hook me because of the copmlicated weapon sstem although I guess I dhould try it again.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Hexpane

Read a FAQ, the chain hits are not required to beat the game, and in fact chaining hits increases your RISK, which can hurt more than help against bosses.

The key is not the combat chains, but having the RIGHT WEAPON TYPES, once you read up on weapon types the game will go from frustrating to a bit easy actually.  Trust me my first time I had a dagger that was silver, i was getting pwned by most mobs.  I started over and learned the weapon system, it's VERY FUN to go farming in the Iron Maiden after game+

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By GaspoweR

I actually figured out early on that you should avoid chaining above 5 or 6 hits (can't recall the exact number) and also making use of potions to lower down risk when you have to. I preemptively stop trying to go for longer chains just to avoid screwing up and ending up with an unnecessarily high risk meter. You just have to stop chaining then attack the enemy again to reset.

EDIT: I beat the game when I was 13 y.o., a year and a half after I started playing it. I was pretty much really focused on school and I didn't play game a lot at that age but the game has stuck with me for awhile..

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fucking awesome for it's time.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i remember thinking that it was almost awesome but something was kind of missing

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Vagrant Story is great because you can approach the game multiple ways.

You can spend the time and go crazy (literally and figuratively) building up weapons for the different enemy types. OR you can do what I usually do and ignore weapon types entirely in favor of chaining. You will always accumulate big damage if you chain, and management of your Risk stops mattering once you understand how much damage your foes can deal (as to not die on a critical hit) and that they always have a limb that's susceptible to endless chaining.

For first time players though, it's probably best to stick to lugging around situational weapons and using the range of buffs and Break Arts.

Buggward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made an account just to revive this ancient thread, and tell OP that he's so incredibly wrong it's sickening. Vagrant Story KILLS, bud. You're just terrible.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Casepb

@buggward: I'm sure they will never see your response. But hey, as long as you're not feeling sickened anymore.

Buggward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: I feel much better, thanks :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

N-N-N-N-N-NECRO THREAD!

Looking back at my original comment, I now see where my descent into the world of "bitter old man" started.

Also, I played through Vagrant Story again a few months back for shits and gigs. Turns out, that game is still the best video game ever made, regardless of what Gerstmann has said in the past on my list. It also made me realize why I ended up falling in love with Souls-like games so much, as that game's focus on few enemies but big boss fights feels a lot like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.