Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Are the DLC packs any good and are they worth the asking price?

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Masha2932

Hi guys I just picked up Valkyria Chronicles and the game seems really interesting. Despite its age the game still looks fantastic and I like the mix of real time and turn based strategy. I'll be playing more of the game this weekend, to form a more permanent opinion on the game, but my current impression is positive.

Anyway excited to get the game, I checked out the DLC on the PSN store and there are 3 DLC packs for about $5 each. My question to anyone who has bought any of these packs, are they worth the asking price and how good are they?

Are they vital to the story?

How long are they?

Thanks for any answers.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

It's been a really long time so I'm going to have to be vauge and possibly inaccurrate.

The only packs I remember are the ones that focus on Selvaria and Edy. The Edy one is a more lighthearted side-story although it does have a bit of weight in the end. The Selvaria one is more interesting because of the insights it offers into her character. They all take place on recycled maps, but the Selvaria missions actually tie directly into the main story missions by showing how they took over before Welkin and co. Got there.

They're both a few missions long but I can't remember how many. I want to say that the Edy one was easier. Again, take all of this with a grain of salt, it's been years since I played Valkyria one. They were both worth it to me because I fell in love with the characters and the gameplay.

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JamesJeux007

Having finished Valkyria Chronicles and absolutely LOOOOOVED it, my answer is this : don't get the DLC packs.

I bought 3 DLCs : Edy's Detachment, Selveria's Mission and the Hard EX Skirmishes. Here's the thing. I really love this game, and I really wanted to like the DLCs. But Edy's Detachment is not only a single mission (yeah, only ONE) but it's on a map that is already used in the game (if you want to know, that's Largo's mission). Now, the objective is different and you get funny dialog before and after the mission with side characters that already are in the game. But a single reused mission is not enough to justify the price (even if the dialogs are fully voiced, and the mission is challenging the first time). I would say the DLC is 30min to 1h long depending on your skill.

And to be completely honest, I didn't even finish Selveria's Mission. The reason for that is it's the same thing EXCEPT the dialog you have at the beginning (and the end I assume) is between Selveria and some random soldier. The map reused this time is the... one inside the citadel (trying not to spoil), which I didn't even like that much in the first place, and it doesn't help that all the guys in your team are just generic empire soldiers, except for Selveria. At least in Edy's Detachment, I used some of those people in the regular game so I knew who they were and I cared a little bit.

The Hard EX Skirmishes are really good and they are worth the price IF you really want more Valkyria Chronicles gameplay, as they are a harder version of the skirmishes you get in the game. The downside being that you can only access the Hard EX difficulty once you have finished the game, and by that point you may be over with the game (Not that it's a bad game. Again, I think this game is an underrated gem.)

TL;DR : Don't get the missions DLC, they are completely optional. And finish the game before deciding to buy Hard EX to know if you really want it or not.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Just re-asking this same question; any of the DLCs worthwhile?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.