Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

At what point do you put a game down?

cedellh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By cedellh

I want to finish this game but I think I am done.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BaneFireLord

It depends. I put down Dirt 2 after one race and sold it, while I stopped playing Force Unleashed 1 during the last boss fight. Usually, however, I aim to beat a game.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ESREVER

Finish it. 
    Best game I have played in a very long time... one of my favorites of this generation. 

If you're giving up on the Batomys (I'm assuming thats where you are since half the people who give up on this game give up there) rethink your strategies. 

Now go and finish it.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By PerryVandell

It really depends on the game. If I'm playing something that takes 8-12 hours to complete, then I normally play it to the very end. However if it's a game like Persona 3 (which I'm currently in the middle of) then I take breaks every 25 hours or so that can last up to a month. Speaking of which, I should probably get back into Persona 3 (I remember taking a break during the month of December in the game...).

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nick_verissimo
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " It really depends on the game. If I'm playing something that takes 8-12 hours to complete, then I normally play it to the very end. However if it's a game like Persona 3 (which I'm currently in the middle of) then I take breaks every 25 hours or so that can last up to a month. Speaking of which, I should probably get back into Persona 3 (I remember taking a break during the month of December in the game...). "
    Coincidentally, I've been playing Persona 3 in a similar manner where I'll play 10-15 hours and then get busy and not touch it for a while, before I finally boot it back and question why I ever stopped playing it.  It's a really good game.  I just started playing it again the other night and something pretty awesome with regards to a playable character opening up within the first 20 minutes of playing again that I am now sucked right back in.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By PerryVandell
    @nick_verissimo: I generally take a break after every major boss or two since a lot of times what I do is level grind while listening to a bombcast or groovshark. It works out pretty well so far, and bosses aren't as much of a pain in the ass as they were earlier in the game.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy

I stopped playing Valkyria Chronicles after a short while. I just wasn't good at it at all, and couldn't beat a level. So I shipped it back to Gamefly.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By huntad

When it ceases to become fun. I did the same thing with Valkyria Chronicles. It's a great game, but the dialog is cheesy and the story isn't too great. The gameplay kept me coming back, but only for a short while, because it failed to vary itself. Oh well, I still have it and may come back to it later.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By nick_verissimo
    @Fullmetal216:  I sort of do the same thing where I'll do a bunch of grinding at a time while listening to podcasts or music.  It works out well, because I really haven't had any trouble with any main mission bosses seeing as I haven't really died against any of the 8 that I've faced this far. It's let me work my way through the game in a more enjoyable way knowing that I can focus on the S-Link stuff a lot more without having to spend too many nights in Tartarus.  But ya, some of the grinding in Tartarus gets to be a little boring when a lot of the enemy types start repeating and don't real offer a lot of challenge once you have the enemies weaknesses down.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By trophyhunter

I beat it and the VC2 
    I thought both of them were amazing games

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ch3burashka

I know what you're going through. You still love your game, but with each and every day it's more painful for it, more painful for you to see it suffer. Euthanizing a beloved family game is never an easy choice, and I think it's one you should make with your entire family.

May God be with you. 

:(

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

amen.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond

Generally it takes me MANY sessions of not really enjoying a game to call it off completely.  I feel like I should still complete games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Zelda TP even though I've barely had any fun with them at all (purely because other people say they're great, but you can't say I haven't given them a fair shake).  Valkyria Chronicles basically hooked me from the start though, although I took many multi-month breaks.  That is normal.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By McGhee

There is one level where you have to set up the big tank in the middle and then bring the smaller tank and your squad all the way around the map in a loop to assault a base. After a couple attempts I just got sick of all of it and quit. Maybe I'll try again one day.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Berserker976

It's kind of amazing to me that so many self-proclaimed "gamers" give up on that one chapter 7 fight. I introduced this game recently to a friend who, quite frankly, is not good at video games. She got to the chapter 7 fight and lost outright, but instead of throwing a tantrum and selling it she just tried again and again until she got better and eventually she beat it.  

Now I understand the game might not be for everyone but come on, that fight is not as hard as people make it out to be, most people are just too lazy to learn the game. 

P.S. @huntad: granted the English voice acting is quite cringe inducing, but you can always switch the dialogue to Japanese. As for the story, you're just wrong. Just. Wrong.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By huntad
    @Berserker976: Now that you've spoken, I don't feel that I need to explain anything to you, but I'll explain myself so that this doesn't happen again. First of all, I commented on the dialog, not the voice acting. The writing is still basically the same for both languages, and it left ME feeling as if I was playing a game concept with the dialog and story made afterward. Also, the story simply did not resonate with ME. I found it lackluster and spent most of the time trudging along while the main character hoped to prove himself to his squad.  

Now, you may have noticed that I came off a bit hostile and emphasized "ME" a lot. Why? Because I want you to understand that everyone can have their own opinions on any aspect of a video game. Just because the story or dialog did not resonate with ME does not mean it's going to be like that for everyone, therefore, you should not have to try and defend the game to ME. You are free to enjoy any aspect of Valkyria Chronicles that you so desire, but if someone disagrees that does not mean that they are "... wrong. Just. Wrong.". I do not intend any hard feelings to be had, but I had to state this as bluntly as possible so an entire argument on the game's quality did not ensue. I hope you understand now.
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Faint

i usually stop when i come up against something that kills me a few times and i dont particularly like the section to begin with (as in, i didnt like it even before i started dying on it a few times). i usually feel like at that point its not worth my time trying again and again to do something i dont like doing.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Dimsey

Yeah pretty much whenever it stops being fun. Not going to force myself to finish a game if I'm not having fun with it.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Berserker976
    @huntad: Then maybe you should state your opinion as such instead of declaring it as fact "  the dialog is cheesy and the story isn't too great " notice how you didn't say anything about how that's just what you believed. 

Also I acknowledged that the game wasn't for everyone, and my statement that you were wrong was to emphasize that my opinion is that the story is not bad, I wasn't actually trying to suggest there's some objective metric by which a story can be measured. 

Also I always find it weird when people get defensive about not liking something, I mean if you enjoy something obviously you're invested in it somewhat, but why get all bitchy when someone attacks your negative opinion?
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By huntad
    @Berserker976: Do reviewers state "Oh, btw this is an opinion, so don't get mad!"? No. Did you state that me being wrong was an opinion when you said it? No. Why? Because we don't have to state something as being an opinion before we say it for it to be an opinion. Didn't I mention why I seemed hostile at the end of the second paragraph? I really don't have time to explain everything so simply to you, I'm sorry. You clearly do not have the knowledge of opinions to continue in this debate, so we should end it here, see ya.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.