Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Chapter 7 Argggh (Spoliers)

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SpinCookie

God damn you Maximillion and your stupid tank.  Anyone else having a hard time beating this level.  I've been reading in other forums and I think I have a strategy down, I can't wait until I get off work to try it out.  Awesome level, but really really hard.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By benderunit22

Yeah, that one's pretty tough. The first time, I had Alicia exactly at the spot where Selvaria would spawn, not knowing what was gonna happen. But it's really not that hard once you know you gotta hide your lancers from the Valkyria before taking out the 2nd cooling device.

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By KingX

I have troulble with this level actually.. care to share some lighto n the subject? what to think of or so?
    Do I need to be at a certain level with my lancers or anyting ? Im at lvl6 with them atm

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By vidiot

That whole chapter is one massive spike in difficulty you wont be expecting. Oh, and expect this fight to last a very long time.

First: Get the order "Retreat", this order helps considerably getting units who are in the line of fire off the battlefield. You can even respawn them from your camps. By the end of this level your probably be spawning a bunch of lancers. Take out the troops on the top level and focus your attacks on that tanks guns. Eventually the tank will do a couple things, ride through your first camp and fire it's main cannon to take out some debris that are in it's way. Use lancers to knock three walls down to slow it's path.

This is the part where it get's tricky. As you probably guessed when it fires it's main cannon it exposes itself in three places. You have to destroy the radiators with lancers, keep a couple engineers with them to resupply ammo! After the 2nd falls Selvaria appears and all hell happens. She will happily slaughter anything in her path. You should try to destroy two radiators...in one turn. The best place to do this is probably at the 3rd wall. The third radiator will not go down after you destroy the 2nd! Youll probably get a low grade, but this map is difficult.

After those radiators go down use the load of lancers you have stockpiled and take the tank down.

If you need any more help, look on youtube for some tips on grinding for experience and finishing skirmishes in one turn. Cheap. But effective.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Here is how I beat it. Beware, may contain spoilers.

Ok, so the requisites that I recommend is having the latest stuff for each unit, specially the Edelweiss, Armors, Lancers and get the Retreat order from the War Cementery.
    Now, I used 2 Lancers, 1 Sniper, 1 Engineer, and the rest, you choose what you want.

The main idea in this mission, is to use a Militia tactic, so you will have to attack and retreat, by the end of the round, you should only have on the field the main characters, as they cant die as the others.

Now, the beginning is not actually hard, just keep the Edelweiss radiator facing to the back, never to any of the tanks sides. Use the Sniper to take down some of the militia above the Hill, remember to take down first the Lancer, then use Retreat on him. Now, with the tank, shoot to the front machine gun of the enemy tank. If you can, shoot it again with the Edelweiss to destroy it (they take 2 Edelweiss rounds, or 3 Lancer rounds).  There is an sniper hiding south of the north-west camp, try to kill it with Alicia, and then place Alicia in that camp.

During the enemy turn, you want be hurt a lot, as long as you place your light units north of the base and your heavy units behind the Edelweiss.

Your turn, again, focus on destroying some of the machine guns on the sides, I would recommend the one in the back first though.  Have the units in the camp move away.

Dont worry to much about the other militia, as they will be killed when attacking your light units. Once you have destroyed some of the guns, have a Lancer cross to the opposite side, you will need him to destroy some walls in the next turn.

2nd turn of the enemy, they will destroy your camp, and if I remember correctly, they will possibly fire the main gun, after which, some radiators will pop up. The objective is to destroy them.

During your next turn, have any foot soldier with grenades approach the tank, and climb the stairs (you need to have destroyed the machine guns or they will be as good as dead), once he is up, throw a grenade into the radiator, this will destroy them using only 1 turn.  Destroy the blue walls so that they create blockades along the road. And destroy the remaining guns.

Retreat again some foot soldiers that are not main characters, and wait till the tank opens the radiators again.

Once the radiators are back up, do the same, have a soldier climb and throw a grenade, once done, have him either retreat or hide.

Now here comes the section, where most of us died ... repeteadly ... Once you destroy the second radiator, Selvaria appears, with a bunch of soldiers, and starting here, hell breaks loose. By this point, I recommend having on the field the following units:
    Edelweiss on the lower end (starting point, with the radiator heading away from the hill where the initial mob was.
    Rosie: Northwest camp, hiding
    Alicia: NorthWest camp, hiding
    Largo: NorthWest camp, or close by, have him destroy the remaining walls and then retreat him.

Having more units, is almost letting them die. And Selvaria cant hurt the Edelweiss so thats a plus.

Now, for the last radiator, I recommend having left for last the one on the right, as Selvaria will quickly move to the left side and make that one near impossible to touch.  So just wait until the tank opens them again, and blast. You should be having 5-6 CPs each turn, so in case you left the right one, you can use the Edelweiss.

As a side note, you should leave an Engineer hiden behind the Edelweiss to fix it once in a while, Selvaria can't hurt him, but the tank and Lancer can.

Side note 2: I finished in 11 turns, and managed to get a B, but still, during your first play through the game, if you want to keep as many units as possible alive, or not have any casualty at all, don't aim for the high ranks, or if doing so, learn the possition of all the enemies first to know how to move.

You may need more help on mission 11, but that is far from easy, and makes this mission look like a walk in the park.

SumoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By SumoX

It's interesting that you guys had a difficult time with this one- once I saw his tank, I thought I was going to be fighting for my life.

Initially it is a bit hard, before you've knocked out a few turrets. But after that, it was pretty smooth sailing for me. Although I was positioned in such a way that Selvaria posed no threat (unless I wasted time...which I didn't).

Fun, fun game. Talking about this level makes me want to go back and try it again, just to see if I can pull it off easily again or if I just got real lucky the first time.

zeke_stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By zeke_stone

Yeah this was a tough mission initially, on the first attempt i perma lost 3 people, on subsequent replays it's easy to overcome when you know the tactics the 2nd time around. What i did was destroy the turrets on the left and right rear of the tank because the rear turret can only shoot in a funnel arc so if you take out the rear left and right guns you have a wide enough angle for your engineers/scouts to get up close to the tank and run up the ladder in order to throw a nade into the "icebox" shaped radiators, it only takes one nade to neutralise the radiator which is faster and more efficient than using your tank/lancer to shoot at them from the ground. Use your tank to take out the large slabs of ruins to block maxys tank forcing it to fire it's main canon and therefore exposing it's radiator. Once Maxy's tank is halfway thru the map and nearing the central capture flag, Retreat your tank to the archway from which maxys tank came from, this will keep it out of lancer range, it's job is done after you have knocked down 3 obstacles for maxys tank.

The rest of the action is up for your scouts/engineers to hide close enough to tank and run up the ladders to blow the radiators. As a previous poster mentioned you should take out the left and then the rear radiator as Selvaria will be on the left side of the tank as it makes it's way up the gentle slope to the last flag thus causing problems for u. Once you kill all the radiators it's easy to call in 2-3 lancers at the last flag and fire behind cover to take out maxys tank for good.

mbmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By mbmonk

This mission is one of the most unituitive level I have ever seen in a game. This level is just trail and error. To me that just isn't fun.

They TELL YOU shoot the machine guns on the tank. But they don't tell you there is an order that you have to shoot the machine guns in. And the only way to figure it out is to play through it; probably die. And then try again knowing a bit more. To me that is crappy game design. Why would my anti tank ammo only damage machine guns 1 and 2 but not 3 -6? There is no logic to that! It's stupid. If the game tells the player to do something and the players does it... it should work. That isn't f-ing rocket science.

This mission you pretty much HAVE to fail at the first time. I would be very suprised if anyone beat it on their first try, without using a strat guide of some sort. And if the player has to die inorder to have a realistic chance to beat the level, that is bad design.

Honestly this game sold what it deserved. This game isn't even close to a 'must own' as I have seen others suggest. The first 4 level, the ones in the city, are cool and fun, but the game starts showing serious flaws in the woods and this mission in particular.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.