Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

This game still holds up!

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the "Remaster" (it's a straight port, although load times might be faster and the framerate is higher in certain situations) of this game came out on PS4 like 3 weeks ago. I don't think anyone noticed because... well... nobody gave any notice. Even the Playstation Store didn't make much about it.

Update: This is still a good game.

It's weird how eerily efficient this game is designed for how many different systems are at play. This game is easily just as complicated as any XCOM game or Massive Chalice but feels a lot more robust. The draw distance and size of the battle maps is considerably larger, too. Maybe I'm old, but I like the pacing of the game. I can come home from work, feed my pets and kiss wife, and complete 1 chapter before it's time to cook dinner. 1 chapter a day seems good. I think the biggest criticisms, if any, of this game are:

• The talking-head cutscenes feel a bit awkward and are obviously indicative of "hey, we had a small budget" but at least it gets the story across.
    • The setting is fantastic, the character design is rad (and actually refreshing that the women in this game--save 1 notable exception--aren't overly sexualized. This game has a fairly egalitarian stance on military participation), and the overall plot is fine, but the dialog is kinda bland? I dunno...
    • Breaking up the cutscenes into individual chunks was probably a concession to PS3 hardware at the time, but now it's a hinderance. I'd like to be able to have the chapters be organized into just 3 chunks: pre-battle cutscene, battle, post-battle cutscene.

I could gush more into detail but I gotta get back to work.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Valkyria has been sitting in my Steam backlog for months. I remember renting it for PS3 back in the day and enjoying what I played, and I've been wanting to go back and complete it ever since. Glad to hear that it still holds up! I'll definitely be making a priority to play it sooner rather than later.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DanishingAct

VC is for sure my next purchase. Can't wait til friday.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was worried this wouldn't hold up too but nope, it's just as good now as when it was released. Still pretty unique, although it does remind me of Fire Emblem more this time around (except better).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.