Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Valkyria anime review and DLC dated

AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

Edited By AleeN634

Well it looks like I beat Valkyria Chronicles at good time since the Valkyria Chronicles anime has just aired. Sega of America has already announced that the anime contains heavy spoilers for the game (duh) and recommend playing the game first (I'd recommend getting the game anyway). Thanks to the magic of the internet and subbing groups (sorry japanophiles) I took a look at this interpretation of the story. First things first, the art quality is ok (although it takes a bit of getting used to Alicia's bustier look). There is a filter applied to the scenes to give the pencil art style the game has (although a lot lighter and less pronounced).

The biggest differences come from how the first episode treats events. While the inital events are still the same (Welkin being mistaken for a spy), there are major differences. The spy plot is kept for almost the entire episode, Marta (the pregenant friend of Welkin and Isara) only appears briefly leaving Bruhl (not visiting Isara as in the game). Also, Susie appears in the first episode as a member of the Bruhl militia (the opening and ending have revealed that Jann, Edy and several other characters will also appear). Alicia is also present when the Edelweiss is revealed in Gunther's mansion.

The differences make is a slightly present surprise as rather than the series being a page by page retelling of the game's story, they are not afraid to make changes. One issue that is apparent in the first episode is that everyone appears to be very... well... stupid. The spy plotline fumbles along and as both Alicia and Welkin make a lot of strange decisions  given a time of war. Now it's sort of like this in the game as well and as the war continues we see these characters grow into competent military commanders and soldiers, hopefully the same will be true for the anime.

The music is straight from the game except for the opening and ending themes. There were some hints of new tracks for the anime appearing in the second episode (or perhaps further on) which should hopefully compliment the existing soundtrack.

Also, Sega of America has confirmed that the 3 DLC packs for Valkyria Chronicles will be released next week at 4.99 each. If you own Valkyria Chronicles I'd recommend getting the stage packs at a minimum (or at least Selvaria's missions at a bare minimum) to show your support. Hopefully with the anime and the DLC, along with Gamestop's sale of the game will renew interest in this game and hopefully we'll be able to return to Europa again.

AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By AleeN634

Well it looks like I beat Valkyria Chronicles at good time since the Valkyria Chronicles anime has just aired. Sega of America has already announced that the anime contains heavy spoilers for the game (duh) and recommend playing the game first (I'd recommend getting the game anyway). Thanks to the magic of the internet and subbing groups (sorry japanophiles) I took a look at this interpretation of the story. First things first, the art quality is ok (although it takes a bit of getting used to Alicia's bustier look). There is a filter applied to the scenes to give the pencil art style the game has (although a lot lighter and less pronounced).

The biggest differences come from how the first episode treats events. While the inital events are still the same (Welkin being mistaken for a spy), there are major differences. The spy plot is kept for almost the entire episode, Marta (the pregenant friend of Welkin and Isara) only appears briefly leaving Bruhl (not visiting Isara as in the game). Also, Susie appears in the first episode as a member of the Bruhl militia (the opening and ending have revealed that Jann, Edy and several other characters will also appear). Alicia is also present when the Edelweiss is revealed in Gunther's mansion.

The differences make is a slightly present surprise as rather than the series being a page by page retelling of the game's story, they are not afraid to make changes. One issue that is apparent in the first episode is that everyone appears to be very... well... stupid. The spy plotline fumbles along and as both Alicia and Welkin make a lot of strange decisions  given a time of war. Now it's sort of like this in the game as well and as the war continues we see these characters grow into competent military commanders and soldiers, hopefully the same will be true for the anime.

The music is straight from the game except for the opening and ending themes. There were some hints of new tracks for the anime appearing in the second episode (or perhaps further on) which should hopefully compliment the existing soundtrack.

Also, Sega of America has confirmed that the 3 DLC packs for Valkyria Chronicles will be released next week at 4.99 each. If you own Valkyria Chronicles I'd recommend getting the stage packs at a minimum (or at least Selvaria's missions at a bare minimum) to show your support. Hopefully with the anime and the DLC, along with Gamestop's sale of the game will renew interest in this game and hopefully we'll be able to return to Europa again.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By FLStyle

Breasts.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By raven_squad

I quite enjoyed the first episode. I'm looking forward to more of it. And HOORAY FOR DLC!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.