Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Valkyrie Chronicles remaster coming to PS4, sequel in the works.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fitzgerald

http://www.shacknews.com/article/92189/valkyria-chronicles-remaster-and-all-new-game-coming-to-playstation-4

Shacknews reports this morning.

Played the original on the PS3 but never beat it. Really liked it, though. I like to think of it as Japan's XCOM. Seeing as how I sold my PS3, I would definitely buy a remaster.

No American announcement yet, though. Might be a 2017 thing.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

The sequel is bumming me out a bit, real time combat, no military suits in sight. Looks more like a fantasy game.

Which is why I read spiritual successor somewhere I guess.

Zombaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, my favourite part of Valkyria chronicles was the whole WW2 asthetic and designs around that. Now it just looks like everything else. Perhaps more will be revealed as more news comes, but right now I'm not feelin' this.

Though if Wendy comes back and blows up everything akin to some mad bomber stereotype I'd buy this game in a heartbeat.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#4 riostarwind  Moderator

I really should play Valkyria chronicles at some point. I've bought it on PS3/PC and still haven't played it. This new one looks kinda like a Tales Of game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

ANY Valkryia is welcome on a console. FUCK YES

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Aegon

Wow...a mixture of emotions going on. I was hoping for a sequel, but if they only discovered Ragnite and are primarily using melee weapons, this is a prequel. Not that I'm against that. I just hope they know what they're doing. The combat was excellent in the first game and likely the biggest selling point. If they make such a radical change, they better be confident that it's superior to the last. Also, the first game was pretty, so it's nice to hear that they're trying to keep going with the painterly feel with a new Gouache engine.

Edit: People on GAF are freaking out about the genre change, but whatever is going on in this screenshot looks interesting to see. I guess it's better to wait for gameplay footage before giving up on the game. But yeah, definitely less excited now that I know it'll be quite different and developed by a different group.

No Caption Provided

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

That's fucking awesome! :D

I knew there was a good reason I hadn't played this yet, despite it being so far up my alley.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading the Shacknews article and the Gematsu article back to back makes it look like someone made a mistake regarding the plot? And Gematsu's translation of the interview makes it sound less like a sequel and more like a spin-off. And like most people probably, I'm not sure how I feel about this, especially since the PSP sequel(s) got really clichéd.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hassun

I hope they can get this series back on track, it really needs it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Sequel sounds like they're gutting everything out of VC that made it such a cult-hit in the first place. Also how about instead of giving us VC1 for the third time, you give us VC3 for the first time?

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I still wish there was a way to get VC1 on my Vita without a PS3.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@l1ghtn1n: I thought it wasn't out until the 19th.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By oraknabo

Even though I haven't played any sequels, I place the first game in my top 5 list of tactical RPG series along with XCOM, Tactics Ogre, FFT and Front Mission.

I don't care if they move somewhere in the timeline away from the WW2 stuff. A game set during some of the backstory established in the first or at some point further in the future could be cool but it will take a really special battle system to make me want play one of these in realtime.

Hopefully, it's not just another case of Sega not understanding what was good about one of their IPs while continuing to produce sequels its fans don't want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.