Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyrie Profile

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 22, 1999

The story of Lenneth, a Valkyrie charged with recruiting the souls of the fallen to fight in Ragnarok.

Is it just me or does anyone else miss this game?

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I miss this game. I only played the original PS version, and I didn't own a PSP or DS to play the other games, but I miss it, I want to reply it but it's not easily available (unless you get a ROM and EMU).

Does anyone else miss this game? Or any other for that matter?

Are there any similar games you can recommend? What I enjoyed the most is the story and the combat mechanics.

zedprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its hard to make really solid recommendations given how unique the game is, even among sequels by the same Tri-ace team and I think there's been some amount of grumblings about story of those compared to the original. Assuming you're interested in output by the team responsible, to clarify the sequel is for PS2. More recently, Resonance of Fate is a spiritual successor to Valkyrie Profile 2, released cross platform last generation, so its probably the easiest thing to get your hands on considering all the options.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The sequel is one of the best games ever made. Original VP is alright, had some pretty cool ideas just failed to really put it all together. I guess if they're making a Star Ocean it's not impossible that they would make a VP3; the IP is recognizable.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny enough I beat this game a couple of months ago again for ending "A". I love this game to bits. I've yet to play the sequel, but I've heard amazing things about it.

I can totally recommend this game. It's finally the VP spiritual successor everyone's been waiting for. Same composer, most of the development team, and the gameplay mechanics are nearly identical. Still has that amazing button based timed combat

Loading Video...

The soundtrack sounds soo good. Very similar to Valkyrie Profile. Finally Motoi Sakuraba back to the roots of his prime.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/07/29/exist-archive-the-other-side-of-the-sky-is-tri-aces-spiritual-successor-to-valkyrie-profile/160625/

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/exist-archive-first-game-system-details

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played some of the PSP version, and I think it was one of the most stressful experiences I've had playing videogames. You have to make decisions constantly - whether you should defy Odin and steal potentially vital items (like the EXP doubling bracelet), how you should spend the finite time you've got before the game ends, who you should send to Valhalla - and you rarely if ever have enough information to properly make any of them. I just always felt like I was "doing it wrong" - I guess making you unable to play the game perfectly was a design choice, but I found the perpetual feeling of "maybe-I've-missed-a-really-important-thing" really exhausting.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortal_guy : Yeah the path to getting the true ending was pretty insane. You had to complete events at certain times to lower your loyalty score to Odin. If you completed them too early then you'd screw it up.

razielrioux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I was totally just thinking of VP:2. That game was totally great.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@asilentprotagonist: Looks cool albeit we're sacrificing the wonderful character designs. Maybe Hrist shows up in the Seraphic Gate.

@petiew:The True Ending was weird but I was able to get it after playing half the game without a guide /shrug. The story payoff was really overhyped though; especially compared to the mind fucks that happen in VP2.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to get my hands on some VP2 (on rom though....)

Thanks for the suggestion @asilentprotagonist dont have a Vita or PS4 though, but I'll keep my eye on it once the game is released.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

If I wanted to play Valkryie Profile today, what is the best way to do that? It's only on disc for PSP or PS1 or is there a more convenient option?

Also how does VP:Lenneth PSP version stack up versus the original?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I'm pretty sure the PS1 version has been released on PSN for PS3? Don't quote me on that, I just assume.

For the PSP version, I think it was a better translation, but they replaced the cool oldschool 90's fantasy anime cutscenes with generic 3D prerendered ones, and I seem to remember there being some framerate issues with that version.

I liked VP a lot (and VP2), though I never beat either of them, mostly because at the time I really, REALLY hated the idea of a time limit. I'd been pretty burned by playing right up to the end of Star Control 2 not long before playing VP, and at the end of that game turns out whups I didn't figure out how to prepare enough to fight the Ur-Quan so I lost. That's totally possible in VP as well, and after playing through a couple chapters using a faq I gave up. VP2 doesn't have the time limit, but I did get burnt out leveling up infinite einherjar through my insane desire to level every character.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think about VP all the time. I see the VP2 Artifact Box in my closet pretty much every day.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: thanks dude for the advice!

I'm 90% sure it's not on PSN, at least in NA sadly. I've been looking for a while and haven't seen it, granted the Store layout is a mess... I really wish it was and was compatible with PS TV (same with FF: Crisis Core).

I don't know why my googling didn't see this sooner before I posted, but I just saw this neogaf thread that mentions screen stretch issues on the PSP version of VP. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1082236

is that an issue in your opinion too?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zeik

I held out hope for a Valkyrie Profile: Hrist for a number of years, but that seems even less likely than a Suikoden 6 at this point.

I've played all of them, but 1 is definitely my favorite. The structure of that game is weird, but it's a neat game. 2 has some good stuff in it, but the story gets really weird near the end, in ways I'm not sure whether I think are good or bad. By far the most disappointing thing about that game though was the Einherjar. In 1 they were all individual characters with interesting stories leading to their tragic deaths. In 2 they were mostly just generic units that you added to your team.

Covenent of the Plume was a decent strategy game, but it didn't quite hook me like the others. I had to kind of force myself to finish it.

@slag: My biggest issue with the PSP version is that they stretched it to fit the wide screen without doing much to properly format. I thought the actual game looked fine, but it's really obvious in the menus. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it is disappointing. Not worth skipping over just for that though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wsninja

Ive started and restarted VP2 like 8 times and bought the game twice. One day I will finish this game! And I bought VP1 on the PS1 and PSP but that game is too stressful like others have said. Does anyone know how the DS VP stacks up?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@zeik said:

I held out hope for a Valkyrie Profile: Hrist for a number of years, but that seems even less likely than a Suikoden 6 at this point.

I mainly worry that one of those two franchises will get a sequel announced and it'll be for mobile devices, like the new Breath of Fire is supposed to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.