Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

At this point, what do you want more? Half life 3 or Portal 3?

• 57 results
    xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By xanadu

Poll At this point, what do you want more? Half life 3 or Portal 3? (293 votes)

Half Life 3 59%
    Portal 3 41%

It's no secret that Valve's game development has been completely baron compared to where it was 10 to almost 20 years ago (next year will be the original Half Life's 20 year anniversary). Half life 3 may very well be the last man standing in the list of games that have an extremely long development cycle or gap between releases. However, after playing a little portal tonight on a whim I came to a realization, "Damn, I could go for another full fledged portal game." And then I had an existential crisis trying to determine if I wanted to play Half Life 3 or Portal 3 more. On one hand, the first two Half Life games were amazing experiences for me personally. The way the first half life game looked at other first person shooters of the past and just said "Nah, we're gonna completely do our own thing." To the way the sequel expanded on those ideas and reevaluated what physics could do in video games but also completely left the series in a cliff hanger is extremely compelling. On the other, playing portal just feels good. Obviously the original portal, like almost everything from Valve besides Half Life, was originally someone else's idea but Portal 2 was an amazing game that felt like an experience only Valve could develop. The closest I have felt to that experience was maybe The Stanley Parable or Antechamber and even those games delivered a sliver of what Portal 1/2 baked up. Honestly, I'm really not sure what I want more right now. Half Life 3 is almost surely never coming up while Portal 3 seems much more plausible. Ultimately, with the success of Steam and DOTA 2, we will probably never see either of these games. So what does the duders want more of? Half Life or Portal? For me personally, the cliff hanger of Half Life 3 bugs me too much and that is what I'll vote for. But I wouldn't hesitate to drop full price on a new Portal game.

• 
    xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: ive always believed the "show me the results" option contaminates the poll more. It alters the percentage away from the actual choices. I'm drawing a line in the sans here and everyone must pick a side. Ain't no maybes on my polls.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

In the past I always would have said Half Life, but what does a new Half Life even look like in 2017? Might as well say I want a sequel to Sin at this point. Plus, I'm always down for more Portal.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half Life isn't really my kinda game and Portal 2 already executed on everything I'd ever want out of that series perfectly so... Some new single player story-driven game would be good. Gun to my head I'd say Portal 3.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#54 FinalDasa  Moderator

Neither. I don't know what a modern Portal 3 or HL 3 would even be. Story driven, atmospheric, first-person shooters are everywhere now and while Portal is certainly a bit more fresh, I don't know if more of the exact same thing.

Valve is best when they're experimenting with weird and new technologies and designs. I'd prefer if they strayed away from the Dota 2, "games as a service", model and made something completely new.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr said:

Contaminating the poll results because I'm curious to see the results but I don't care and there isn't a "show me the results" option.

I chose Portal 3, fwiw, but I don't actually care about any of Valve's games.

You can log out to see poll results.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Portal, no question

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would love both but if you could only pick one you gotta go with HL3

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#58 fisk0  Moderator

@ntm said:

Half-Life 3. This makes me think about the time I was going to make a thread asking 'If Valve didn't make Half-Life 3, but let another well-regarded developer do it, who would you want to make it?'

DontNod! What if they drop the action elements and turn Gordon Freeman into a talking protagonist?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Whenever I played Half-Life, I either actively disliked it or just kinda shrugged at it. Portal is a great game, while Portal 2 is also a good game. I don't really want another Portal, but let's go with that.

Now, will Valve ever make a new game? That remains to be seen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.