Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Gabe Newell Makes Some Decent Points About HL3

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Undeadpool

http://www.dorkly.com/article/54448/a-message-from-gabe-newell

Now obviously, Gaben gets pretty hyperbolic at certain points of this, and I don't agree with everything he says here, but it's always refreshing to see a major developer completely eschew PR spin and call out what he believes is a massive hypocrisy within the community. It kinda goes back to the point of "The franchises I don't like should change more to suit me, but if you change a franchise I'm already invested in I WILL FIND YOU AND I WILL CUT YOU!!!" I haven't really been following the Steam Box nor Half Life terribly closely, so anyone with more invested in either or both care to weigh in?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

You know this is a parody, right?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

You know this is a parody, right?

Yeah, I was leaning into the joke, which didn't really come across through text well. AND it makes some salient points, hence my focus on that part over "WOO NEWELL RULES!!!"

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@undeadpool: Haha, just checking. It's scary how many comments I've been seeing treating it as real.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
    No Caption Provided

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

@undeadpool: Haha, just checking. It's scary how many comments I've been seeing treating it as real.

I could KINDA see it, I was buying it at first, but it goes pretty off-the-rails at the end...I mean the biggest giveaway is, somewhat ironically, that Newell rarely engages in the kind of self-back-patting that takes place near the end. But it DOES start out as something he'd say (maybe with less cussing).

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That was terrible.

I dislike the whole affair because most of the hype surrounding Half Life 3 is the result of the self‐perpetuating meme surrounding the game influencing people who would otherwise have no interest in it. They're excited because other people are excited, who are excited because other people are excited. It's the Reddit/Neogaf crowd in action.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, this is like when people post an Onion article on facebook and think it was true.

TheElliotBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Games are art, not business, they are entitled to their creator, not the person or people enjoying them. Yes there are times when publishers come in and adopt creative control; and that aspect can typically be bogged down by the business end of things. However, these things remain on the peripherally to game itself; and I believe developers have an artistic license to do what ever they please. Games should be subject to the developer's vision and not the capitalistic demands made by the hierarchy of the game's business. Just sayin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.