Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Gabe says he'll make all our dreams come true this E3

• 100 results
    RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By RazielCuts
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yeah because 4chan is such a reliable source.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By N7

HE'S GETTING ME A JOB AT KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS!? OH MY GOD E3 CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By Dalai

Ricochet 2: Episode 1. You heard it here first.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By EuanDewar

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Insectecutor

@AhmadMetallic said:

The only way HL3 would be a decent game today is if Valve created Source 2.0, so, are we expecting that? will Valve do a good job with an all new engine?

Probably the most baffling statement I've read all day, and this includes the guy asking why we have countries. So the quality of Valve games is based solely on the version number of the engine now? Since when? And why would you have any doubts that Valve would be able to get the best out of technology they develop for the purpose of realising their vision? They did it just fine with Half Life 2.

I'm staggered. You must be some kind of troll that I've totally fallen for.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By mikemcn

@countinhallways said:

Final Fantasy 7 remake in the Source engine confirmed.

That would literally kill me.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By BaneFireLord

We all get free kittens!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#59  Edited By Dagbiker

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Maajin said:

Did you guys see this? Some folks at 4chan were, well, 4channing:

No Caption Provided

They sent this e-mail to gaben@valvesoftware.com

No Caption Provided

The next day, presumably Gabe wrote back with this:

No Caption Provided

I can't atest for the truthness of it all, and maybe a really angry intern is taking care of Gabe's e-mail account. If it's really Gabe Newell though, I just hope he doesn't think our favorite thing is a new Day of Defeat or something.

Would Gabe waste his time writing back to 4chan 13 year olds?

His email was all over the orange box dev diary.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Nope. Don't even say Half Life. Don't believe it. I wont be hurt again!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Dagbiker

@Insectecutor said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

The only way HL3 would be a decent game today is if Valve created Source 2.0, so, are we expecting that? will Valve do a good job with an all new engine?

Probably the most baffling statement I've read all day, and this includes the guy asking why we have countries. So the quality of Valve games is based solely on the version number of the engine now? Since when? And why would you have any doubts that Valve would be able to get the best out of technology they develop for the purpose of realising their vision? They did it just fine with Half Life 2.

That is the reveal, Source 3.0

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Insectecutor said:

So the quality of Valve games is based solely on the version number of the engine now? Since when? 

I didn't say the quality of Valve games is based on it, L4D and Portal and CS and TF2 are all fine running on the current technology, since they're arena multiplayer shooters, a co-op survival game, and a linear, story-driven puzzler. 
    Half-Life 3, however, will be a long, sandnox-ish blockbuster FPS. The quality of THAT, will go down the toilet if powered by Valve's current engine, and the reasoning is right there in my post: 
    @AhmadMetallic said: 
    In 2012, nearing the next console's arrival, with games like Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2 on the market (tech/graphics), games like Modern Warfare and Gears of War (shootiness), do we REALLY want a non-iron-sights crowbar-driven shooter looking like LEFT 4 DEAD and loading every 2 minutes like PORTAL 2? 

And why would you have any doubts that Valve would be able to get the best out of technology they develop for the purpose of realising their vision? They did it just fine with Half Life 2.

Yes, they changed the face of the industry with Source and Half-Life 2, 8 years ago.. I think it's pretty reasonable to doubt their ability to innovate in technology again.  

Relax.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

Half-Life 3, however, will be a long, sandnox-ish blockbuster FPS.

It will?

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Cornman89

Katana revengeance huggies? Now we're talkin'.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TeflonBilly said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

It will?

Have we been anticipating something else for the past few years?
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ravenlight

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Maajin said:

Would Gabe waste his time writing back to 4chan 13 year olds?

He's trolling the trolls.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Dagbiker

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Insectecutor said:

So the quality of Valve games is based solely on the version number of the engine now? Since when?

I didn't say the quality of Valve games is based on it, L4D and Portal and CS and TF2 are all fine running on the current technology, since they're arena multiplayer shooters, a co-op survival game, and a linear, story-driven puzzler.
    Half-Life 3, however, will be a long, sandnox-ish blockbuster FPS. The quality of THAT, will go down the toilet if powered by Valve's current engine, and the reasoning is right there in my post:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    In 2012, nearing the next console's arrival, with games like Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2 on the market (tech/graphics), games like Modern Warfare and Gears of War (shootiness), do we REALLY want a non-iron-sights crowbar-driven shooter looking like LEFT 4 DEAD and loading every 2 minutes like PORTAL 2?

And why would you have any doubts that Valve would be able to get the best out of technology they develop for the purpose of realising their vision? They did it just fine with Half Life 2.

Yes, they changed the face of the industry with Source and Half-Life 2, 8 years ago.. I think it's pretty reasonable to doubt their ability to innovate in technology again.

Relax.

Half life 2 felt open, but in reality was very liner, also you have no idea what it will be, only what it was. also what about half life episode 3?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

@TeflonBilly said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

It will?

Have we been anticipating something else for the past few years?

Sandbox FPS would suggest something like Crysis or Far Cry to me. That's not what I'm expecting or have heard anything tangible about Half Life 3 to be.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mac_n_nina

gave should hit a fucking treadmill

seeing people as fat as him just grosses me out

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Insectecutor

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Insectecutor said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    In 2012, nearing the next console's arrival, with games like Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2 on the market (tech/graphics), games like Modern Warfare and Gears of War (shootiness), do we REALLY want a non-iron-sights crowbar-driven shooter looking like LEFT 4 DEAD and loading every 2 minutes like PORTAL 2?

Everything you point to here are design choices rather than limitations of the engine, except perhaps the loading which a lot of newer games mask with areas specifically built for the purpose (god damn elevators) or some sort of streaming. I have no idea if Source supports loading like that, but it's been extended so many times over the past five years (remember HL2 didn't have HDR - that came in Ep1, and portals and fluid dynamics and so on were all added) it wouldn't surprise me.

A lot of people have this issue with Source. Because there's no major version number everyone thinks it never changes, but that was the whole point - it was intended to be modular and extensible from the outset.

I would be very happy with Ep3 being released at all, even if it was using exactly the same technology as Ep2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Gabe Newell's coming for my booty!?

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#72  Edited By ReyGitano

@Ghostiet said:

FUCK YES THEY'LL RELEASE MEET THE PYRO

That would be one of my favorite E3 moments.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By slyspider

PERSONA 5 IS ON STEAM! Right Gabe?

or

Gabe is stabbing Bobby Kotic on stage.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By shiftymagician

@Insectecutor said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Insectecutor said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Everything you point to here are design choices rather than limitations of the engine, except perhaps the loading which a lot of newer games mask with areas specifically built for the purpose (god damn elevators) or some sort of streaming. I have no idea if Source supports loading like that, but it's been extended so many times over the past five years (remember HL2 didn't have HDR - that came in Ep1, and portals and fluid dynamics and so on were all added) it wouldn't surprise me.

A lot of people have this issue with Source. Because there's no major version number everyone thinks it never changes, but that was the whole point - it was intended to be modular and extensible from the outset.

I would be very happy with Ep3 being released at all, even if it was using exactly the same technology as Ep2.

Just for the sake of knowledge completeness, the current version of Source cannot load assets via streaming and must do it the old-fashioned way. Every loading screen of Portal 2 (even the one where you aren't even in a 'loading' room but in the middle of a walkway during an escape sequence) is the result of them hard-loading the next level of their game, which in this day and age can be avoided if they employ newer loading techniques into their engine. They didn't and the game (at least in my eyes) will always be slightly less immersive because of arbitrary waiting, even if they are only a few seconds each on a PC.

They tout that Source is quite modular so they should theoretically be able to add it in, but they are currently working on Dota 2 and CS: GO, both games that are too small to benefit from streaming techniques. It really would take a game like the next Half Life to see if Valve can successfully implement it, as well as if Source can still be seen as a relevant engine for the next generation of games. Even then (depending on how much people actually care about graphics) it will be interesting to see how a Source game can compare visually to the next set of engines in the future. I hope their core graphics engine is also a modular, upgradeable component in Source as even now I can see the difference in quality between a Source game and a newer engine game as clear as day, and not in a good way (though of course that doesn't personally make me stop playing them as they are fun, but I always prefer the best of graphics and gameplay myself wherever possible).

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Dagbiker:  @Dagbiker: That's why I said "sandbox-ish." It's more open than, say, Call of Duty, and it gives a sense of complete openness.  

@Insectecutor said:

You would, but Valve, game critics, and most customers wouldn't. Episode 2, powered by Source, had those silly rocket explosions, bad-ish car driving, stiff throwing physics, shitty textures, etc.... Note that I'm not criticizing it, I fucking love Valve's games, but the explosions and textures etc.. are silly and shitty by today's standards is my point. 

Half-Life 3 will not survive against all these new massive good-looking good-sounding triple A blockbusters, powered by the Source engine. 

it's been extended so many times over the past five years (remember HL2 didn't have HDR - that came in Ep1, and portals and fluid dynamics and so on were all added) it wouldn't surprise me.

Sure, they enhance this and they add that, but the core assets of the engine are the same. A few examples, same ones I mentioned above, are explosion effects, sound effects, and textures.
    Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Talis12

next E3 will be about CS:GO..

i agree with some others here that HL3 would only appear on a new engine. Valve likes to make unforgettable experiences.. when it comes to half life, that is always combined with a new piece of technology that wows the crowds.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Gaben is a sneaky asshole

If he DID write that, I'm sure the "I don't suppose" part is the bulk of what makes this statement NOT CONFIRMATION and rather just a plain ordinary QUESTION.

It's like saying "I don't suppose you'd feel better if I gave you a thousand dollars in the next hour?" Doesn't mean I'll up and do it.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#78  Edited By jimi

Where's my ricochet sequel valve?

WHERE IS IT?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Dagbiker

It's an alyx vance sex doll

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By benpicko

Half Life 3 for XBX and PS4? #imcallingit

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By neoepoch

They did the same one word email crap to one of the main developers of Pokemon...I don't think he responded yet.

PacifistDalek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PacifistDalek

@Dtat said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Actually he has a history of responding to emails personally. I wouldn't be surprised if that was him.

This is true. He also has a history of trolling people :P

Still, at this point, as long as Valve is announcing something, I'm excited.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker said:

It's an Gordon Freeman sex doll
    NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NegativeCero

@Dagbiker said:

It's an alyx vance sex doll

I would be surprised if that didn't already exist.

It's obviously a knife based action game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#86  Edited By jakob187

@mac_n_nina said:

I'm sure that seeing people with poor grammar skills that feel the need to comment on his weight in a forum on the internet grosses him out.

Anyways, if he is seriously going to say "Half-Life (insert whatever else next to it" for whatever the announcement is, then IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME! The question is whether or not it will be too little too late.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By JasonR86

I can't make out anything that was said to Gabe in the e-mail by the dumb little 4chan child. It just sounds like a little kid who is trying to swear really well so he just throws out all the swear words he knows into an incomprehensible mess.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#88  Edited By Sooperspy

Obviously it will be a two-pack of L4D 1+2 for PS3.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Joker369

I know people would roll their eyes at it, but I would be totally excited for a left 4 dead 3

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By mac_n_nina

@jakob187 said:

@mac_n_nina said:

I'm sure that seeing people with poor grammar skills that feel the need to comment on his weight in a forum on the internet grosses him out.

Anyways, if he is seriously going to say "Half-Life (insert whatever else next to it" for whatever the announcement is, then IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME! The question is whether or not it will be too little too late.

i could give a shit less

its the internet not a paper for college

on top of that its the internet so ill probably be talking to the uneducated and uncivilized side of the person

also he didnt seem to mind the email

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#91  Edited By Brendan

Half Life two came near the end of the last console cycle (even though it wasn`t on consoles) so maybe it`ll be the same here, with HL3 coming out just before the next console cycel. Come to think of it, HL1 came out pretty near the PS2 era. Maybe that`s just how they role.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#92  Edited By Hailinel

Blue Shift 2: The Magical Adventures of Barney Calhoun

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By kingzetta

so he's going to make a game that does not suck ?

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By FengShuiGod

This is fake, yo.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Pinworm45

@Marz said:

Steam for Xbox incoming.

This is what the "three" is about: It's the third platform to get Steam.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#96  Edited By DarthOrange

Left for Dead 3 confirmed?

suicidepacmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By suicidepacmen

It's an Eli Vance sex doll with an insertion hole where the probe wound on his head is.

This.. is a dream of mine..

hurdes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By hurdes

@JasonR86:

Did you even bother to read the image?

Every single word from the letter is from a different person. It was all added together at the end of the thread and sent to him. They've done it before. I think I've seen 2 other ones that he responded to.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#99  Edited By JasonR86

@hurdes said:

@JasonR86:

Did you even bother to read the image?

Every single word from the letter is from a different person. It was all added together at the end of the thread and sent to him. They've done it before. I think I've seen 2 other ones.

All I read was the e-mail sent to Gabe. I wasn't aware that they were pooling all their bull-shit into one big pile of bull-shit. You must feel lucky to have experienced bull-shit of this magnitude twice before.

Applederp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Applederp

I think you guys underestimate how much Gabe responds to his e-mails. The guy wouldn't give out his e-mail on the TF2 commentary for nothing.

He even said it himself: He doesn't respond to all the e-mails he gets, but he does read all of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.