Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Valve's CES 2014 Press Conference. WHAT DID WE LEARN?!

• 59 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Here's how this goes for 95% of the market.

Playstation 4. It says it's super powerful and that it's way better than the other guy.

Xbox One. It says it's super powerful and way better than the other guy.

Steam Machines. It says it's a "GX 771-A Correlon". Is that good? Why does this other one have a different thing? Which is more powerful? What will be able to play console games on full blast? For how many years? What else do I need?

This is not the mass media product some may have been anticipating.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By Xeiphyer

At what point do you just buy a new PC and stick it in your living room? Those prices are pretty crazy for a gaming machine.

Also the Zotac is just a router, DON'T BE FOOLED!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@andorski said:

Looks like a missed opportunity by Valve to create a open PC hardware ecosystem that is easier to understand for people. If you aren't into building PCs, the specs that these hardware OEMs listed to conference attendees make no sense. Which is better: The i7 + Iris Pro 5200 or the i5 + GTX 760? The i7 + GTX 780Ti or the customizable CPU + GTX Titan? Valve should have created tiers that correlated between OEM hardware and Steam games. Then people could buy with assurance that if you X hardware, then you can buy Y set of games.

I don't see this getting more than a niche audience. Those who would buy these would have probably bought a pre-built PC anyways if Valve never launched the Steam Machine initiative. Valve is doing nothing other than offering vendors and customers to chop of a little off the price tag by not putting in a Windows OS onto the rig.

I agree with this completely.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

This is not the mass media product some may have been anticipating.

Yeah, I agree. The fact that they're putting specs on these things when "marketing them" makes me not interested.

I thought the whole point was to make it easier for people, like you buy a steam box and you're set. This kind of just looks like the graphic card mess all over again. I thought it would be targeted at people who normally purchase pre-built computers but who want one cheap and specifically for gaming.

As someone who knows how to put a PC together, I'm at a loss. I don't know who this is for. Instead of "buy this thing and you're set - it's okay, we got this specification stuff down" it's "which steam box should I buy, which one is good?" which will lead to "help me I have 2 frames per second playing a game on my steam box".

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@dalai said:

I can see the cheaper Steam Machines making some impact possibly getting some people who are interested in PC games to buy one, but the $1000+ boxes make little sense and are basically just PCs with the Steam brand. I'd like to think most PC users who spend that kind of cash already build their own PCs and have no use for these consoles.

However I think the controller can become the PC standard over time if that scheme works as well as your standard 360 controller.

I still don't like the idea of a trackpad-based controller. But beyond that, the price disparity between the various manufacturers and models is ridiculous. I think this is less about offering up a true living room Steam alternative than it is just finding a way to start seeding SteamOS into as many homes as they can.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
    deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@joshwent: I'm not saying anything bad about Valve. I just think they're forgetting how to game company.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@andorski said:

So I don't really know who this box is for. Although I think Steam Machines aren't the focus of Valve; the SteamOS is. Gabe wants to stop being dependent on Windows and Microsoft. Making an OS that runs on current PC hardware is his way out. Although that brings up the question of why PC gamers would want to leave Windows. I think a good chunk of people are willing to leave Windows just from the performance increase in games that Valve is promising, but the majority will stick with Windows + Steam client until SteamOS has feature parity with Microsoft's OS.

I believe there are three camps actually willing to give gaming on Steam OS / Linux more than one off chance:

1. Competitive gamers. Guys that still run CS 1.6, Quakeworld, Dota etc would go to great lengths and learn just enough about a Linux distribution to make those games run even faster. Just the same way people still run their games on Windows 7 or XP.
    2. Tech hipsters / early adoptors getting on the open source bandwaggon, tired of the old ways of Windows.
    3. Guys that come from the console side of things, wanting to take a babystep into PC gaming.

I'm not sure about camps 2 and 3. Those tired of Windows have had Linux as an option for ages. Why wait for Valve to make an OS that is currently in beta when there are other Linux distros that are much more feature complete. I also don't see how a person who is perplexed by Windows be completely down with trying out a completely new OS. Even if you aren't into PC gaming you probably know how Windows works (small subset of OSX users aside).

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@andorski said:

@guanophobic said:
    I believe there are three camps actually willing to give gaming on Steam OS / Linux more than one off chance:
    1. Competitive gamers. Guys that still run CS 1.6, Quakeworld, Dota etc would go to great lengths and learn just enough about a Linux distribution to make those games run even faster. Just the same way people still run their games on Windows 7 or XP.
    2. Tech hipsters / early adoptors getting on the open source bandwaggon, tired of the old ways of Windows.
    3. Guys that come from the console side of things, wanting to take a babystep into PC gaming.

I'm not sure about camps 2 and 3. Those tired of Windows have had Linux as an option for ages. Why wait for Valve to make an OS that is currently in beta when there are other Linux distros that are much more feature complete. I also don't see how a person who is perplexed by Windows be completely down with trying out a completely new OS. Even if you aren't into PC gaming you probably know how Windows works (small subset of OSX users aside).

I've tried out Ubuntu as a desktop replacement aswell, worked fine until i tried to install GPU-drivers and got a gaming itch. SteamOS is all about fixing those issues from what I've read, but it'll take some time.

And with the work Valve is putting into gaming compatability on Linux, sounds like will be beneficial to the rest of the Linux community. Both tech coming from the collaboration Valve is having with GPU-manufacturers and gamedevs like Dice with their Mantle-project.

SteamOS is just a debian distribution, with "big picture mode" installed and booted by default. All the functionality you get from regular debian distributions are avalable just by closing down that fullscreen app.

Question is if enough games will be platform agnostic (windows/linux) fast enough for SteamOS not to just run out of steam.

I think the biggest reason for Linux not catching on as a windows replacement yet, is the fact that gaming isn't there yet. Valve seems intent on making that change.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@babychoochoo: lol, so who is this for again? Hard core PC gamers who already have a PC and like gaming in the living room, but won't move their PC to the living room because is not stylish enough (like any of those steam boxes are pretty at all hee)... seriously not trying to be mean.. but NO CLUE WHO IS THIS THING FOR

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.