Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Valve's new console and Half-Life 3

Avatar image for thematrixonline
    TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

Obviously we have next to no details about Valve's new hardware that they are working on, but if I were a betting man, I would put money down that their console launches with Half-Life 3. It would be a very strong start for the console, and while the game would obviously come out on PC as well, I imagine having Half-Life 3 launch with their console would cause tons of people to get on board with their new machine from day 1. That also helps to explain why they've been so silent about the game, they want to reveal it running on their new console.

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By tkalsey

That seems like it would be a smart move to sell some units, but I find it hard to believe that Valve will ever release that game. The internet has 'HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED" me a lot. I Want To Believe!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

They recently announced they're working on Source 2 right? Half-Life 3'll probably be announced when they've got some yield from their work on that engine to show. Or they'll be all cagey about it and have a tech demo with something Half-Life looking but not actually say it's Half-Life.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By impartialgecko

Half Life what?

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By envane

i guess they could do that but if anything i see them using a portal 3 as some kind of leverage .

TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

@adam1808: Half-Life 4

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

valve's hardware is just a PC yo... if anything they'll just have a custom Linux OS preinstalled with their boxes.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Azurath

I would bet that we will see The Orange Box 2, with Portal 2 (and maybe 3), Left 4 Dead 3, TF2 with updates, and Half Life 3 when the Steam Box actually comes out.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By colourful_hippie

but I'm still waiting for episode 3.

TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

@Marz: Right, but it's hardware that they are going to be trying to push into people's households. I'm just saying Half-Life 3 seems like a good way to do that.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

If I was in charge of Valve, I don't think I'd ever want to touch Half-Life 3. There's no possible way it could ever live up to the biblically proportional expectations of the Internet.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Snail

@Marz: Gabe also said it would be a "very controlled" system, or whatever his expression was. Sounds more like a an (affordable) console that runs PC games than a personal computer per se.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marz
    @Snail said:

@Marz: Gabe also said it would be a "very controlled" system, or whatever his expression was. Sounds more like a an (affordable) console that runs PC games than a personal computer per se.

sounds more like custom OS with HTPC parts.
    TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

@Marz said:

@Snail said:

Again, doesn't matter what it sounds like, Valve still want sell.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marz
    @TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@Snail said:

they aren't releasing Half Life 3 any time soon.  Definitely not with their Steam Box PC
    impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By impartialgecko

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@adam1808: Half-Life 4

Thought so.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I would definitely be more willing to purchase Valve's console if HL3 was announced for it especially if it was a timed exclusive for a year (I say timed because Valve wouldn't want to badly upset fans but at the same time move some hardware).

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snail

@Marz said:

@Snail said:

Where did you get the HTPC notion from?

Still, a custom, inflexible, UNIX-based OS on prepackaged hardware for an affordable price sounds plenty like a console to me - even if that OS is a modified version of Linux and it only plays PC games. I guess it's a console for PC games is what it is.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snail

@Cold_Wolven said:

I would definitely be more willing to purchase Valve's console if HL3 was announced for it especially if it was a timed exclusive for a year (I say timed because Valve wouldn't want to badly upset fans but at the same time move some hardware).

If it's announced for Valve's "console" then it's also announced for PC, because that thing will supposedly run a version of Linux.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Mcfart

WHat's the point of releasing HL3 with their console?

A - It's not a console. It's a PC with Steam Stickers.

B - HL3 is coming to PC, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, DS, GBA, GBC, 720, PS4, etc...why would releasing it with their Steam Box help launch sales?

TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

@Marz said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@Snail said:

they aren't releasing Half Life 3 any time soon. Definitely not with their Steam Box PC

I guess I forgot the part where it turns out that you are Gabe Newell, and you know exactly how far along Half-Life 3 development is. I'm not saying that I know either, or that they have even started developing it for sure. I'm just saying that it could possibly launch with their console.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dtat

@Marz said:

valve's hardware is just a PC yo... if anything they'll just have a custom Linux OS preinstalled with their boxes.

I mean, you could kind of say that about any console. I know what you mean, but I feel like the functionality of consoles is growing closer to that of other home computing devices.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Snail

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@Snail said:

they aren't releasing Half Life 3 any time soon. Definitely not with their Steam Box PC

I guess I forgot the part where it turns out that you are Gabe Newell, and you know exactly how far along Half-Life 3 development is. I'm not saying that I know either, or that they have even started developing it for sure. I'm just saying that it could possibly launch with their console.

IT'S NOT AN INCENTIVE TO BUY THEIR CONSOLE BECAUSE WE ALL OWN PC'S.

Unless they do something really awesome with their game that takes advantage of those awesome custom-drivers they produced with NVIDIA for Linux I guess. Maybe their "Steam Box" would be able to run the game on max, and the fact that it is on Linux and already had those drivers pre-installed gave the game some exclusive neat graphical features, like PhysX stuff?

Even still, at best it would only be a sweet bundle for a newly-released product. It's not a selling point.

TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

@Mcfart said:

WHat's the point of releasing HL3 with their console?

A - It's not a console. It's a PC with Steam Stickers.

B - HL3 is coming to PC, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, DS, GBA, GBC, 720, PS4, etc...why would releasing it with their Steam Box help launch sales?

I don't think it has to launch same day on every console. Valve can very easily stagger the launches. Also I'm pretty sure it will be more like a console than a PC is based upon the articles I have read.

TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

@Snail said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@Snail said:

Unless they do something really awesome with their game that takes advantage of those awesome custom-drivers they produced with NVIDIA for Linux I guess. Maybe their "Steam Box" would be able to run the game on max, and the fact that it is on Linux and already had those drivers pre-installed gave the game some exclusive neat graphical features, like PhysX stuff?

Even still, at best it would only be a sweet bundle for a newly-released product. It's not a selling point.

If Half-Life 3 isn't an incentive the buy their console, then I don't know what could be. I imagine that all of their games that will launch on their console will also be on PC. Similarly, many games that come out on consoles today also come out on PC, but plenty of people still buy consoles, and console versions of games.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marz
    @TheMatrixOnline said:

@Snail said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@Snail said:

If Half-Life 3 isn't an incentive the buy their console, then I don't know what could be. I imagine that all of their games that will launch on their console will also be on PC. Similarly, many games that come out on consoles today also come out on PC, but plenty of people still buy consoles, and console versions of games.

the incentive is that they already have a popular store front, convenient, easy to use, there are some people out in the world who think PC gaming is complicated, the Steam Box is just an easier way  for them to get into PC gaming.   It's sorta like apple....  you buy their devices because you are already familiar with their store and their eco system.   
    audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By audiosnow

@TheHT said:

They recently announced they're working on Source 2 right? Half-Life 3'll probably be announced when they've got some yield from their work on that engine to show. Or they'll be all cagey about it and have a tech demo with something Half-Life looking but not actually say it's Half-Life.

It's about time, if they did.

I was blown away by Source when I first saw Half Life 2. But booting up Portal 2 to finally start it--for real, this time? It's showing its age.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

A PC WITH LINUX AND STEAM STICKER ON THE OUTSIDE, why pay for Windows

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Sooty

The people interested enough in Half-Life 3 to buy a new machine for it will just buy a PC, or more than likely already have one.

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Snail said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

@Marz said:

@Snail said:

If Half-Life 3 isn't an incentive the buy their console, then I don't know what could be.

An affordable little PC with good support and perhaps further sales/discounts when buying from the Steam store from a Steam console.

Simple, if marketed well with clear reminders of just how good Steam sales are.

@mlarrabee said:

@TheHT said:

I was blown away by Source when I first saw Half Life 2. But booting up Portal 2 to finally start it--for real, this time? It's showing its age.

Source was showing its age in 2006. They do some nice stuff with lighting but come on, that engine has been bad at a lot of things for a while now, most notably structures and water look pretty bad. TF2 still looks fab though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They used Half-Life 2 as a trojan horse for Steam, it makes sense they would use Half-Life 3 in a similar fashion.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Im hoping its just a cool, mini PC case, with a built in motherboard that supports AMD and Intel chipsets. Built in Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Xbox wireless adapter and has its own ios that boots into Steam that also has basic web browser and has apps like Spotify, Youtube, Netflix. Can get a Nvidia or AMD version of it or just the case bare bones so you can put your own components in and fits in your TV cabinet.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Gerhabio

@Marz said:

If it'll have a Linux OS, does that mean that from the Steam library only Valve's games and a handful of indie games will be accessible from it? Or is the OS irrelevant?

I don't know much about the technical aspect but since not all games on Steam are available for Mac, I wonder if the same applies to Linux.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Halflife 3.......Steambox exclusive.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal-ve Leefie? What is that?

Never heard of it. Also I doubt it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Marz
    @Gerhabio said:

@Marz said:

If it'll have a Linux OS, does that mean that from the Steam library only Valve's games and a handful of indie games will be accessible from it? Or is the OS irrelevant?

I don't know much about the technical aspect but since not all games on Steam are available for Mac, I wonder if the same applies to Linux.

yeah i think the major hurdle Valve has to get through is the lack of Direct X support as that is a Microsoft thing.  I don't know the legaility of using tricks to get direct x running on linux but i'm sure Microsoft would be all over that and sue Valve up the ass or something.  Mac and Linux supported games are usually running on OpenGL, so yes essentially only a handful of games will be working unless they worked out a deal for direct x integration into their OS.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHT

@mlarrabee said:

@TheHT said:

Honestly, if everything about Source 2 was the same except I didn't have to load a new map every time I walked 10 ft., I'd be totally fine with that.

It may sound like nitpicking, but goddamn Half-Life 2 had tons of loading pauses that really killed the momentum, especially during sequences like the driving hover boat or dune buggy. If that whole game could be played as one seamless experience, I'd remember it far more fondly than I do now.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Sackmanjones

Still holdin onto this hope aren't we? You have a better chance of getting Half Life 4 than you do half life 3.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By JudgeDread

It might not be a console, cause if it is a console it will only be a console that goes out of date faster than other consoles (compared to PC games systems)

The Steam box will be a Stream box allowing users to transmit and send data to and between their Big screen and computer. Using local network and specialized algorithms Valve aims to give the user an experience of sitting by the computer with similar input response but sitting at the big screen away from the computer.

Local streaming will work like onlive but allow for much higher response time while letting the user use his own hardware for a hardcore experience. It might also have support for streaming over the internet for some supported titles and maybe a subscription fee.

99$

There might also be an app for that (iPad Steam gaming).

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PillClinton

@TheHT said:

I'm just really scared we'll see some nice looking, but wholly generic FPS demo at E3, then end title card, "Half-Life 3."

Oh, also, Half-Lif3.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PillClinton

@JudgeDread: The problem with that theory, though, is that Gabe said in that Kotaku interview that other hardware manufacturers are probably gonna release their own versions of whatever the hardware is. I don't see Valve licensing out their sling box tech so Asus and MSI, etc. can make their own versions of it.

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.
    "Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Snail

@Marz said:

@TheMatrixOnline said:

the incentive is that they already have a popular store front, convenient, easy to use, there are some people out in the world who think PC gaming is complicated, the Steam Box is just an easier way for them to get into PC gaming. It's sorta like apple.... you buy their devices because you are already familiar with their store and their eco system.

@TheMatrixOnline: Additionally, a game only counts as an incentive to buy a console when it is only playable or when it is a better experience in a console you don't have. Exclusives are system sellers. So your logic doesn't make a lot of sense there.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PillClinton

@TheMatrixOnline: Also, I just now realized how much I fucking adore the combination of your username and avatar.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zekhariah

Half life 3 will probably end up being held up if Valve does not feel they are introducing a novel and interesting mechanic though.

Anyway, new steam box or no, my guess would be that the hardware push is not specifically connected to their software releases. The hardware stuff is probably to address the fall off in people purchasing PCs more than anything else. Specifically if tablets end up being the main web browsing tool, and maybe basic tax software is ported to it (US concern), it pretty much leaves the PC being useful for games for a lot of people.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SeanFoster

My prediction is: Half-Life 3 will come pre-installed on The "Steam Box" as well as be available for purchase on the regular desktop Steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.