Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

What do I think Valve is working on?

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 37

Edited By morecowbell24

I'm glad you asked me that question. You didn't? Well, I think it's only fair that we, and by that I mean I, discuss it.

Obviously, they are hard at work on Defense of the Ancients 2 (DotA 2), a sequel to the popular WarCraft III mod. Now, you're probably wondering what the hell WarCraft III is. Well, believe it or not, there were games in the WarCraft series before World of WarCraft. And they were big scary strategy games, not RPGs. Damned good ones too, generally considered some of the greatest the genre has to offer. Defense of the Ancients 1 first released sometime in 2003, and quickly gained recognition and popularity. It's popularity as a mod may have even surpassed that of Half-Life mod Counter-Strike. It is indeed what they're working on this moment, and is still currently scheduled for release this year. That's great and all, but Valve's got to be working on something else, right?  

Now I'm sure some of you have noticed Valve's been having some trouble with the number 3. They got their Half-Life 1 and 2, Portal 1 and 2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, and this DotA 2, but no games with a 3 stuck at the end. Half-Life 2 even got sequels that were still titled Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and 2, and it was a planned trilogy, but we all see how that worked out. If you look to the image below, you can see most of the games Valve has ever released. It's almost a conspiracy. What are they trying to do, clean the slate so every game they've ever released is at 2, and then proceed?  If that's the case we're in for a long wait, because I get the feeling the Source games don't really count as "2" games.
    Definitely not 
    Definitely not 
     But do I think they are working on Counter-Strike 2, Day of Defeat 2, Alien Swarm 2 and Garry's mod 2? Nope. I don't. I think Valve is up to something a little more sly. Honestly, this is probably more wishful thinking than anything, but wild speculation never hurt anybody, right? So while I like the proposition of them being hard at work on Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3, I don't think that is what's up. 

"I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do," Newell said. "That isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm just laughing because…people will be shocked again."

I like that word choice Gabe, I like it a lot. I grabbed that from a Gabe Newell interview with PC Gamer. There are also "three" big surprises are in store for us between now and September, so yeah, I figured I'd get my piece in while I still could. I imagine two of the surprises have already come and gone, because this interview took place last September. Of course Valve does have a problem with 3, so maybe they lied about the third surprise.

I should note that on June 15 of this year, there seemed to be a some news of Half-Life 3 being official, but alas here we are with nothing to show for it.

And, back to speculating. I present to one of the newer members of the Valve team, Doug Church.

He's made us some great games 
    Now, let's see what games' he's made, and why I bring him up. He played a big role in the development of Deus Ex, one of the most celebrated PC games of all time. However, we're receiving Human Revolution later this year, and Square Enix owns the property, so no it isn't Deus Ex. Another big game here, Thief: The Dark Project, but again Square Enix owns that property, and Eidos Montreal is to shift to developing Thief 4 after Deus Ex: Human Revolution's release. It is interesting though that neither game has a 3 in the title, but I digress.

Let's take a look at a couple of other games quick. Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. Doubtful, since Ultima seems to have been completed and buried by EA. What's more is with that adding insult to injury "Origin" launching, EA and Valve seem to be parting ways.

Ooo!!! Ooo!!! I think I found the one!

Wait... I and nobody else played this game 
    That's okay I think I have another picture that you still probably won't recognize.   

That's what I thought. You still don't know who this is 

"That isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm just laughing because…people will be shocked again." 

SYSTEM SHOCK 3!!!

Yeah, I'm probably reaching, but can you blame me? While you Half-Life fanboys have gotten a few releases in the past decade, System Shock hasn't seen a sequel since 1999. Yeah, it got a spiritual successor which kind of spawned its own franchise, but that little lady up there, S.H.O.D.A.N., is just begging for another chance to show you how self-serving and manipulative she is. Why? Because no one cared to notice the first two goes around, and now that gamers have matured enough to know that games like System Shock have their rightful place after experiencing the strikingly similar spiritual successor to System Shock 2, BioShock, I think it's time System Shock gets revisited. The rights to the series are currently up in the air, but since Valve and EA still seem to be at least a little bit friendly, it seems possible.

I know what you're going to say. "System Shock 3 has a 3 in the title, that disproves your lame-ass theory." Why yes, yes it does, but what better way for Valve to "shock" us than to release the original Half-Life's biggest rival when talking about the birth of the smart shooter. Not only that but the first third game Valve makes is not originally their own? It would be a shock in more ways than one. I'd probably poo everywhere if my wild theory comes true. Obviously Valve loves them some System Shock, otherwise GLaDOS probably wouldn't exist. I mean if someone were to revive System Shock, I think I'd trust Valve more than any other developer outside Irrational Games, and they seem to be preoccupied with BioShock stuff. I'm excited about that, but really, I just want S.H.O.D.A.N. to send shivers down my spine once more.

If it's not System Shock 3 and it is Half-Life 3, then I ask you Valve, please, don't market it at all and just release it one day on Steam out of nowhere, not even putting it on the front page, because if anyone can do it, it's you.

I guess I can always dream right?

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By morecowbell24

I'm glad you asked me that question. You didn't? Well, I think it's only fair that we, and by that I mean I, discuss it.

Obviously, they are hard at work on Defense of the Ancients 2 (DotA 2), a sequel to the popular WarCraft III mod. Now, you're probably wondering what the hell WarCraft III is. Well, believe it or not, there were games in the WarCraft series before World of WarCraft. And they were big scary strategy games, not RPGs. Damned good ones too, generally considered some of the greatest the genre has to offer. Defense of the Ancients 1 first released sometime in 2003, and quickly gained recognition and popularity. It's popularity as a mod may have even surpassed that of Half-Life mod Counter-Strike. It is indeed what they're working on this moment, and is still currently scheduled for release this year. That's great and all, but Valve's got to be working on something else, right?  

Now I'm sure some of you have noticed Valve's been having some trouble with the number 3. They got their Half-Life 1 and 2, Portal 1 and 2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, and this DotA 2, but no games with a 3 stuck at the end. Half-Life 2 even got sequels that were still titled Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and 2, and it was a planned trilogy, but we all see how that worked out. If you look to the image below, you can see most of the games Valve has ever released. It's almost a conspiracy. What are they trying to do, clean the slate so every game they've ever released is at 2, and then proceed?  If that's the case we're in for a long wait, because I get the feeling the Source games don't really count as "2" games.
    Definitely not 
    Definitely not 
     But do I think they are working on Counter-Strike 2, Day of Defeat 2, Alien Swarm 2 and Garry's mod 2? Nope. I don't. I think Valve is up to something a little more sly. Honestly, this is probably more wishful thinking than anything, but wild speculation never hurt anybody, right? So while I like the proposition of them being hard at work on Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3, I don't think that is what's up. 

"I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do," Newell said. "That isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm just laughing because…people will be shocked again."

I like that word choice Gabe, I like it a lot. I grabbed that from a Gabe Newell interview with PC Gamer. There are also "three" big surprises are in store for us between now and September, so yeah, I figured I'd get my piece in while I still could. I imagine two of the surprises have already come and gone, because this interview took place last September. Of course Valve does have a problem with 3, so maybe they lied about the third surprise.

I should note that on June 15 of this year, there seemed to be a some news of Half-Life 3 being official, but alas here we are with nothing to show for it.

And, back to speculating. I present to one of the newer members of the Valve team, Doug Church.

Now, let's see what games' he's made, and why I bring him up. He played a big role in the development of Deus Ex, one of the most celebrated PC games of all time. However, we're receiving Human Revolution later this year, and Square Enix owns the property, so no it isn't Deus Ex. Another big game here, Thief: The Dark Project, but again Square Enix owns that property, and Eidos Montreal is to shift to developing Thief 4 after Deus Ex: Human Revolution's release. It is interesting though that neither game has a 3 in the title, but I digress.

Let's take a look at a couple of other games quick. Ultima Underworld 1 and 2. Doubtful, since Ultima seems to have been completed and buried by EA. What's more is with that adding insult to injury "Origin" launching, EA and Valve seem to be parting ways.

Ooo!!! Ooo!!! I think I found the one!

That's okay I think I have another picture that you still probably won't recognize.   

"That isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm just laughing because…people will be shocked again." 

SYSTEM SHOCK 3!!!

Yeah, I'm probably reaching, but can you blame me? While you Half-Life fanboys have gotten a few releases in the past decade, System Shock hasn't seen a sequel since 1999. Yeah, it got a spiritual successor which kind of spawned its own franchise, but that little lady up there, S.H.O.D.A.N., is just begging for another chance to show you how self-serving and manipulative she is. Why? Because no one cared to notice the first two goes around, and now that gamers have matured enough to know that games like System Shock have their rightful place after experiencing the strikingly similar spiritual successor to System Shock 2, BioShock, I think it's time System Shock gets revisited. The rights to the series are currently up in the air, but since Valve and EA still seem to be at least a little bit friendly, it seems possible.

I know what you're going to say. "System Shock 3 has a 3 in the title, that disproves your lame-ass theory." Why yes, yes it does, but what better way for Valve to "shock" us than to release the original Half-Life's biggest rival when talking about the birth of the smart shooter. Not only that but the first third game Valve makes is not originally their own? It would be a shock in more ways than one. I'd probably poo everywhere if my wild theory comes true. Obviously Valve loves them some System Shock, otherwise GLaDOS probably wouldn't exist. I mean if someone were to revive System Shock, I think I'd trust Valve more than any other developer outside Irrational Games, and they seem to be preoccupied with BioShock stuff. I'm excited about that, but really, I just want S.H.O.D.A.N. to send shivers down my spine once more.

If it's not System Shock 3 and it is Half-Life 3, then I ask you Valve, please, don't market it at all and just release it one day on Steam out of nowhere, not even putting it on the front page, because if anyone can do it, it's you.

I guess I can always dream right?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Hats, yo.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

The ramblings of a madman.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SSully

They are actually working on a Half Life RTS game, my uncle's best friends wife's boyfriend works for valve and showed me some videos of it in action. It runs on Source Engine 2 and each unit has as 1000 times the polygons as Alyx's ass in HL2.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By valrog

I always thought that Valve would make an RPG, and System-Shock idea definitely sounds intriguing. Now you got me hyped probably for nothing.

@Sweep said:

Hats, yo.

Just... How do you come up with that stuff? Teach me of your ways, master.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By warxsnake

money. They're working on making more money.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Valve can't count to three? Like Capcom in the 90s? Does that mean that in twelve years, Valve will be getting a ton of shit for canceling Half-Life 3 while releasing Ultimate Team Fortress 2 without updating a lot?

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By RagingLion

Why System Shock 3 will/should never be released (at least with Shodan in it):  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/12/the-girl-who-wanted-to-be-god/#more-15868  (also a damn fine article on Shodan in its own right).  Also, won't Irrational own the System Shock name?  The only reason Valve can get away with 'DOTA 2' is because it's a sequel to a mod and hence not an IP owned by any company.

You're right though that Doug Church joining Valve is pretty excited based on what other people have said about him.  I just wish the LMNO project he was working on before actually made it out.

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By morecowbell24
    @Sweep said:

Hats, yo.

Thanks! ... wait no you mean in game accessories. I suppose that is true.

@EuanDewar said:

The ramblings of a madman.

Most likely  

@SSully
    said:

They are actually working on a Half Life RTS game, my uncle's best friends wife's boyfriend works for valve and showed me some videos of it in action. It runs on Source Engine 2 and each unit has as 1000 times the polygons as Alyx's ass in HL2.

I believe it.  

@valrog
    said:

I always thought that Valve would make an RPG, and System-Shock idea definitely sounds intriguing. Now you got me hyped probably for nothing.

@Sweep

said:

Hats, yo.

Just... How do you come up with that stuff? Teach me of your ways, master.  
    That is the nature of Wild Speculation
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117

The entirety of TF2 is actually an elaborate viral marketing campaign for Half-Life 3.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kishan6

Damn.

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By morecowbell24
    @RagingLion said:

Why System Shock 3 will/should never be released (at least with Shodan in it):  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/12/the-girl-who-wanted-to-be-god/#more-15868  (also a damn fine article on Shodan in its own right).  Also, won't Irrational own the System Shock name?  The only reason Valve can get away with 'DOTA 2' is because it's a sequel to a mod and hence not an IP owned by any company.  You're right though that Doug Church joining Valve is pretty excited based on what other people have said about him.  I just wish the LMNO project he was working on before actually made it out.

That is the second time I've read that piece. System Shock 3 would have to be done right for sure, but I believe if anyone can do it, Valve could.  

If you read the article linked to the up in the air phrase in my post, you'll gain a little more of an understanding of System Shock's rights situation. EA used to own System Shock's rights. If Irrational owned it, I doubt they'd ever have made BioShock. 
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

didn't gabe mention counterstrike 2 some time ago?

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By morecowbell24
    @Laketown: I believe he was asked about it and he shrugged it off and said that they were focusing on DotA2
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Dota2

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Jadeskye

They're working on a way to turn people's imaginative speculation on half life 3 into energy they can rule the planet with.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By WickedCestus

They are secretly working on Persona 5. You get to S-Link with Alyx Vance.  

When you get to Rank 10, the internet explodes.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Dalai

@Sweep said:

Hats, yo.

Or maybe Valve will try to attract the female audience with shoes.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pibo47

Valve must be working on Half Life 3 or Ep. 3 or whatever its being called. It would be insane for them not to be doing something with half life...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Animasta

@Dalai said:

@Sweep said:

Hats, yo.

ali baba's wee booties.

IT ALREADY STARTED

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By kingzetta

Hats.....for left4dead

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Dalai said:

@Sweep said:

Hats, yo.

Not all women are hypnotised by shoes, Dalai. You sexist sexy motherfucker.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By shadows_kill

I'd bet money that theres a Portal 3 before Half Life 3. Same goes for Left 4 Dead 3. Or maybe they are at work on another popular online shooter!

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Surkov

I bet they're making a whole new game engine that will appear on the next generation of consoles. I believe Half Life 3 will be the game to use it. I want to believe!

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#25  Edited By KillyDarko

This was very interesting reading, even if it's just speculation-- you never claimed otherwise anyway :)
    I don't think it'll be Valve's next project to come to light, but I think that no matter what comes next, they're also secretly working on an avatar-like animated Half-Life movie produced and made by Valve themselves, to be released in like, 2015 or so. Also just (insane and crazy) speculation, but a man can dream xD
    As for System Shock 3, I'd love a sequel, but I'm not sure if Ken Levine would be too happy to part ways with SHODAN...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RsistncE
    @morecowbell24 said:

but since Valve and EA still seem to be at least a little bit friendly, it seems possible.

lol wut
    morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morecowbell24
    @RsistncE: they worked with each other on Portal 2
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vexxan

You know what, I have no idea what they're up to.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By valrog
    @morecowbell24 said:
    @RsistncE: they worked with each other on Portal 2
    And after that Valve canned Crysis 2 from Steam.
    morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By morecowbell24
    @valrog: Yeah, I'm aware their relationship is dissipating, BF3 won't be on steam either, but if you read the G4 article the SS3 would likely require EAs blessing, and I think their relationship is good enough for that.
    morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By morecowbell24
    @KillyDarko: Thanks. I think Ken Levine would be perfectly fine, ecstatic even, with SHODAN being in Valve's hands, especially with Church (the lead on the original) on their team now. 
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Laketown said:

@Dalai said:

@Sweep said:

Hats, yo.

ali baba's wee booties.

IT ALREADY STARTED

Scout flip flops, man. They've already infected 1/3 of the classes.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ajamafalous
    @morecowbell24 said:
    BF3 won't be on steam either
    Is that confirmed yet or still just speculation?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

What if Half Life 3 was a dual joystick shooter as a tie in for Half Life 4 to be released in 2024, in valve time.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RsistncE
    @ajamafalous said:
    @morecowbell24 said:
    BF3 won't be on steam either
    Is that confirmed yet or still just speculation?
    Not officially by EA, but Gamestop also accidentally confirmed it. At this point everyone 99.9% sure that it's going to be Origin only.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karl_Boss

EA owns the rights to the System Shock name.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Azteck

They're probably playing golf. 

Not in a game. Just regular golf. It's not like they have to worry about ever making a game ever again

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iam3green

they are working on selling hats, and keys for team fortress 2. pretty soon, half life episode 2, left 4 dead 2, will have hats and keys for sale. your hearing this first people.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho

They're probably waiting for a team of fans to make HLE3 for them so they can buy the team.

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By morecowbell24
    @ryanwho: lulz, oddly enough that has crossed my mind.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Your mom.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.