Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 announced

#1 Edited by Hayt (1664 posts) -

Surprising no one but pleasing everyone Paradox's Tender ARG has ended with the reveal of Bloodlines 2.

Brian Mitsoda is joined by Cara Ellison for a follow up set in Seattle.

If you can find it go watch the end of the lead up stream because it is the most beautifully awkward dinner theatre style performance.

They also have a website with some more info at https://www.bloodlines2.com

#2 Posted by Efesell (4442 posts) -

Hell yeah Hell yeah.

#3 Edited by ConfusedOwl (1215 posts) -

I played through the first game last year and loved it so seeing this announcement has me hyped. Day 1.

#4 Edited by frytup (1260 posts) -
@hayt said:

One of the original writers is joined by Cara Ellison

Brian Mitsoda. Lead writer and a designer on the the first one.

#5 Edited by Hayt (1664 posts) -

@frytup: thanks, I'll fix that in the OP as he deserves credit.

#6 Posted by Fugoy (110 posts) -

And apparently Chris Avellone also worked on this as well. Excuse me while I scream to the heavens and praise the lord.

#7 Posted by frytup (1260 posts) -

@fugoy said:

And apparently Chris Avellone also worked on this as well. Excuse me while I scream to the heavens and praise the lord.

Of course. I don't think you're allowed to make mid-budget RPG these days without a Chris Avellone credit. ;)

#8 Posted by Fugoy (110 posts) -

YO I'M SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE IS GETTING A FUCKING SEQUEL THAT'S A REAL SENTENCE THAT WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN WHAT

#9 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15683 posts) -
@frytup said:
@fugoy said:

Of course. I don't think you're allowed to make mid-budget RPG these days without a Chris Avellone credit. ;)

Chris Avellone is the wandering ronin of game writing. For as much as I miss his presence in more recent Obsidian stuff, I think it's pretty great the dude has made a career out of going from game to game instead of settling down with any one studio.

Also, legitimately happy to see Cara Ellison's name as well. This game is gonna have one hell of a writing team, and I'm very excited to see how it pans out.

#10 Posted by hassun (9916 posts) -
#11 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4239 posts) -

I'm here!

#12 Posted by gunflame88 (379 posts) -

This is amazing news to wake up to! I have deep love for the first game and can't express in words how excited I am for this sequel!

#13 Posted by dudeglove (13707 posts) -

@frytup said:
@fugoy said:

Chris Avellone is the wandering ronin of game writing. For as much as I miss his presence in more recent Obsidian stuff, I think it's pretty great the dude has made a career out of going from game to game instead of settling down with any one studio.

Not every damn game needs Avellone's involvement in the writing, especially when it comes to White Wolf's stuff that has had numerous writers come together to create a hell of a saga.

Right now I'm much more interested into whether this game is going to attempt to stand alongside the clan novel series - because it's kinda interesting that the game is taking place in Seattle, rather than any of the other established locations within either the previous game (LA) or the novels (Atlanta and a bunch of other places but mostly Atlanta) - or do its own thing. About the only White Wolf property that I know of to take place in Seattle isn't Vampire but Demon and in that setting, the city is split up into fractured zones of time, which is kind of a wild premise to explore

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Seattle_(CofD)

At the same time, having the action in Seattle does free the writers from trying to tackle including and juggling the politics of both the 15-ish clans and the 9 or so sects that the vampires fall into. VtmB the first dropped the clans that were visually demanding (such as the Lasombra) and just split it into a kind of three way between the Camarilla, Sabbat and Anarchs.

World of Darkness is such a dense and rich setting to explore, so I really hope they do right by it, but I can also imagine that this could easily become a literal nightmare.

#14 Edited by soulcake (2706 posts) -

This was long in the making glad it finally got it's reveal.

While we all wait for it's release let me recommend Vampyr to everyone in here, one of the hidden gems from 2018 IMO.

#15 Posted by Justin258 (15619 posts) -

Cool! Maybe I'll play the first one someday.

But... could they alter the title? Maybe just call it "The Masquerade"? The current title has a number on the end and requires two colons, that's stupid and awkward.

#16 Posted by OurSin_360 (6133 posts) -

Looks cool, i tried to play the first one but kept getting nauseous. Those old first person games sometimes do that to me.

#17 Posted by Hayt (1664 posts) -

@justin258: At this point i'm disappointed they didn't just go all out and add another word. Vampire: The Masquade - Bloodlines Resurgence.

#18 Posted by Forrester90 (984 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Everything about this sounds good so far.

#19 Posted by TheChris (464 posts) -

@justin258: They most likely chose to keep the original title for brand recognition. Most people know of Bloodlines, but not of the other games in the series or the overall universe.

#20 Posted by hans_maulwurf (640 posts) -

This seems like a true video game miracle to me that I never believed could be actually possible. Troika long gone, greedy Activision as the publisher of the original. And I remember talk a couple years ago that the World of Darkness version Bloodlines was based upon was outdated so a true sequel would even be impossible from that licensing angle.

And yet here it is, and it all sounds like everything a fan of the original could have ever dreamed of so far. Unless I can't play as a goth cheerleader malkavian, because then fuck that game...

#21 Posted by extintor (1089 posts) -

This is a pretty big deal... High hopes!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.