Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Bloodlines is a first person action-RPG built on Source engine and based on the World of Darkness setting from White Wolf.

$5 Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Steam Sale 07/28/11

• 87 results
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @CL60 said:
    Everybody must buy this game. EVERYBODY
    This. The game that taught me to save my progress every 30 seconds. Handy when i was playing Fallout 3.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Azteck

I love how it's still 5€. Last time I checked, USD and EUR didn't convert 1:1

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By endaround
    @Azteck said:
    There is no VAT in the US
    darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By darkjester74
    @CrazyChris said:

@JCTango said:

Actually I might get it on steam too - for the 'cheevos.

Just curious, but what achievements? Either I can't see them on the store, or there are none for this game.

Either way; it's a good game for its time for sure. Not sure I would be able to enjoy it today though.

No Steam achievements on that game.  Also, cant stress enough how important it is to grab the unofficial patches for this game.  The amount of work that has gone in, years after the developer went under, is staggering.  And amazingly enough work continues. 
    Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
    @darkjester74
    Where is the best place to download the patches for it?
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By JCTango
    @Bobby_The_Great:  Gav47 had a good outline of what to do right here = )

@Gav47 said:

1. Download and install Bloodlines on Steam. Be sure to try and run it once, although it won't launch on many Windows 7 64-bit systems unpatched due to an error.    
    2. Download and install the latest unofficial patch, #7.6b: This is the only patch you will need. Don't go with the 'Plus' option on your first playthrough, it adds unofficial content.   
    3. After that, search for 'Extra' in your Bloodlines directory and click 'Res Patch' to update it to modern resolutions. Once the patch is in effect, you'll find the res options in the game's options menu.  4. Play it.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AlexW00d

@endaround said:

@Azteck said:
    There is no VAT in the US

There is VAT in England and it is £3.74 here. So VAT has nothing to do with it.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
    @JCTango
    Thanks man, I skipped right over that post! X)
    rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By rentfn

you can't go back

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@Tennmuerti said:

@EveretteScott said:

I was reading a thread about this on another site and almost everyone was saying pirate it. I'm not for pirating anything but they actually had some good points. The biggest and sadly most important is that no one who made the game gets any money from it being as Troika is no more.. I own it and bought it day one when it first came out, so I'm glad I got to give them money when I could for their product.

Even if the original developer no longer exists, I would still say it's preferable to pay for the game (especially this cheap). When an old darling like Bloodlines continues to generate revenue for the current publisher, said publisher might be encouraged to pickup simmilar projects in the future. I'm not saying that it will lead directly to creation of something simmilar, but this is one of the oldest arguments: "vote with your dollar", by buying Bloodlines you are effectively voting that you like this type of game and might be inclined to purchasing others like it. If we don't purchase such type of PC RPGs they won't make them.

Exactly. If you pirate it, no one will know it is a desired product. But if a publisher can look at a game over six years old and see that it still has interest, they will be more open to a similar pitch in the future. It's not exactly a crowded market. Every sale has an effect.

As for the patching business. Newcomers should know there are two sets. There was a good post on the Steam forums that I'll paste here:

The True Patch (available at http://www.tessmage.com/forum/index....c,56857.0.html (Link is Not Safe For Work)) is a purist patch, meaning that it only makes bugfixes and tries to preserve an experience as close as possible to the original game. It is effectively complete (has fixed practically all possible bugs that can be fixed), so users will not need to download a new version in the near future. It was originally written by a nice guy named Acrimonius, but is now maintained by his friend Tessera, who isn't very nice. Supporters of the Unofficial Patch regularly accuse it of theft, but this is actually false, as explained here: http://www.tessmage.com/forum/index....ic,1162.0.html (Link is Not Safe For Work)
    The Unofficial Patch comes in two types: Basic and Plus. The Basic version is mostly bugfixes, but also make quite a few changes that are not strictly bugfixes. The Plus version makes severe changes to the game, and while it claims to merely introduce content that had been cut by the developers, the majority of this content is simply fan-made modifications that were never intended by the original developers. Some releases of the Plus version have actually introduced new bugs that were not present in the original game. This patch regularly receives new releases, making it unreliable as a base for mods (most mods have chosen one release of the patch and stick with it).
    If you want a comparison between the two, you can read one here:http://www.tessmage.com/forum/index....c,57580.0.html (Link is Not Safe For Work)
    Avatar image for cocorodriguez--defunct
    CocoRodriguez--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is still better than a lot of RPG's that have came out since its release.  Buy it you fools.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By Nictel

Buying it also thanks for the clear patch remarks.

@Azteck said:

Average annual US income is around $45,000 per annum. Or 31,389

Average annual EU income is around 38,000€. Or $54,476

In other words on average the game is CHEAPER (as a percentage of total earnings) for Europeans than Americans as Europeans earn more.

You can't just look at conversion rates, there is lots more to take in to account such as salary, costs of living, etc.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#63  Edited By musubi

Had to fiddle around with it some but I got it working and with the help of the unofficial patch you can enable 16:9 resolutions!  Now..just to find some time to play it...

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decided to break down and buy it after considering it for awhile. Still a great game, but I'll never finish The Witcher at this rate.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Bought. Thanks for the heads up. Yay, another game for my Steam backlog.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Azteck
    @Nictel said:

Buying it also thanks for the clear patch remarks.

@Azteck said:

Average annual US income is around $45,000 per annum. Or 31,389

Average annual EU income is around 38,000€. Or $54,476

In other words on average the game is CHEAPER (as a percentage of total earnings) for Europeans than Americans as Europeans earn more.

You can't just look at conversion rates, there is lots more to take in to account such as salary, costs of living, etc.

What? I have never seen a person take the annual income of a continent into an equation if a game is cheaper or not. That's ridiculous. Besides, it's still 3,75£ or something like that in the UK, which is also a part of Europe so whatever you're saying has absolutely no bearing whatsoever.
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By JCTango
    @Marokai said:
    Decided to break down and buy it after considering it for awhile. Still a great game, but I'll never finish The Witcher at this rate.
    Haha.. me too.. I never finished The Witcher either... Mass Effect too <_<.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally! It seems to have been £15 on Steam since I can remember.

Insta-buy.

...Wonder how many copies this has helped shift?

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By fjordson

Haha, well my topic is pretty outdated now. Was worth it during the Summer Sale for $13.99, but it's an absolute steal at $5. One of the best RPG's I've ever played.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#70  Edited By mike

The only thing stopping me from buying this game is that I'd have to download and apply some unofficial patch in order for it to even run on my 64-bit machine. Lame.

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By STUVNING
    @MB: It's really not that big a hassle, just a couple of clicks. And you don't want to play it without the unofficial patch, believe me!
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By WinterSnowblind

How necessary is this unofficial patch? I remember the fan-patch for Fallout 2 being highly recommended and although it fixed a lot of bugs, it messes around with a lot of content, adds a lot of crap and unbalances much of the main story.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By GunnBjorn

The atmosphere is really good in this game. I already have it, but to those who don't, this game is highly recommended, especially at that price.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mike

@STUVNING said:

@MB: It's really not that big a hassle, just a couple of clicks. And you don't want to play it without the unofficial patch, believe me!

Fine, I bought it and I'm downloading it right now.

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By STUVNING
    @MB: You won't regret it! Here's the instructions posted earlier: 
    @Gav47 said: 
     Shamelessly copied from another post but if you buy this you really should do this:

1. Download and install Bloodlines on Steam. Be sure to try and run it once, although it won't launch on many Windows 7 64-bit systems unpatched due to an error.    
    2. Download and install the latest unofficial patch, #7.6b: This is the only patch you will need. Don't go with the 'Plus' option on your first playthrough, it adds unofficial content.   3. After that, search for 'Extra' in your Bloodlines directory and click 'Res Patch' to update it to modern resolutions. Once the patch is in effect, you'll find the res options in the game's options menu.  4. Play it.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By fjordson
    @WinterSnowblind said:

How necessary is this unofficial patch? I remember the fan-patch for Fallout 2 being highly recommended and although it fixed a lot of bugs, it messes around with a lot of content, adds a lot of crap and unbalances much of the main story.

Absolutely essential for all of the fixes and tweaks. And it doesn't screw with the original game in any ways like what you mentioned.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By Dingofighter

I read something about the game not working correctly if you had more than 4gigs of RAM. 
    Is that fixed? Or do you have to limit the amount of RAM manually, because that just feels like way too much of a hassle for one game.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Fjordson: Yeah, I'm running a 64bit machine too, so discovered that quite fast.

It sounds exactly like my type of game though, I'll give it a go once I'm finished with New Vegas.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By fjordson
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@Fjordson: Yeah, I'm running a 64bit machine too, so discovered that quite fast.

It sounds exactly like my type of game though, I'll give it a go once I'm finished with New Vegas.

Haha, I actually just started NV for the first time last weekend after finishing Bloodlines a few weeks ago. 

(LOVING New Vegas btw)
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mike

@STUVNING said:

@MB: You won't regret it! Here's the instructions posted earlier:
    @Gav47 said:
    Shamelessly copied from another post but if you buy this you really should do this:

2. Download and install the latest unofficial patch, #7.6b: This is the only patch you will need. Don't go with the 'Plus' option on your first playthrough, it adds unofficial content. 3. After that, search for 'Extra' in your Bloodlines directory and click 'Res Patch' to update it to modern resolutions. Once the patch is in effect, you'll find the res options in the game's options menu. 4. Play it.

Got it all installed and working, started it up and got through the first part of the tutorial - I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

One thing to note when applying the unofficial patch - the patcher will appear to work if you let it go to the default Activision location, but you need to manually point it to the steam/steamapps/common/vampire directory. Once I did that and used the res patcher, it worked, except I'm still not able to see the opening cinematic. I can hear the audio, but have to click through it to get to the main menu. Otherwise, it's working and seems like a very interesting and deep game!

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By EvilDingo

I think I'll buy this - But I'll probably not play it right away since I'm currently playing through Fallout New Vegas.

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By wosifat

Asterisk says it won't run on Windows xp 64 bit.  How about Windows 7 64 bit?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By CL60
    @wosifat said:
    Asterisk says it won't run on Windows xp 64 bit.  How about Windows 7 64 bit?
    It works on everything with the fan patches.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@MB: Open the properties of your Vampire.exe (it will be in your root Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines folder), go to "Compatibility," and check these two boxes:

No Caption Provided
    1. Disable visual themes
    2. Disable desktop composition
    white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86  Edited By white_sox

I just purchased this - the game seems to have a cult following and I'm interested to see what a lot of people love about it.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By gike987
    @Origina1Penguin: You don't have to disable visual themes and run the game in campatibility mode. I can see the opening cinematic and logos and I only disabled desktop composition.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mike

@Origina1Penguin: That worked, awesome! I'm working my way through the tutorial now and trying to figure out the interface...there is a LOT to this game, it's been awhile since I played a good RPG. Good buy at $5 even for an older game that took some patching to work on a modern system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.