Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Bloodlines is a first person action-RPG built on Source engine and based on the World of Darkness setting from White Wolf.

Stil holds up?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By BaneFireLord

Title pretty much says it all; It's really cheap on Steam right now, but I don't want to buy it if it's unplayable from a modern perspective.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By fattony12000

@BaneFireLord:

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By redcream

I recommend this game wholeheartedly just for the story and atmosphere alone. I was able to play it last year and it holds up pretty well. Combat-wise it's not that bad although it can be clunky.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Quarters

It's definitely worth playing. One of the more underrated games in the last several years. If you grab it, look into the unofficial fan patch. It can help with a bunch of stuff.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

It's all right. Good atmosphere, enjoyable story, but piss-poor combat. The dialogue trees are very Fallout 3-esque, with obvious 'moral' shading and skill requirements, as well so there's that. Try and play with as little combat as possible and you should enjoy it.

Just make sure you clean it up with mods and fan patches, because otherwise the game will either A) bug out like a motherfucker or B) not run. I had a bit of progress in the game, like 6 or so hours, that got destroyed by a game-breaking bug that I could not escape from.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By tim_the_corsair

In much the same way as Alpha Protocol, there is a particular way to play that will make it a much more enjoyable experience in combat.

This is not a game where combat focus is rewarded with fun.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaggE

Totally holds up, when/if you can get it to work correctly.

Also, I've been listening to "Isolated" a lot lately. What an awesome soundtrack that game had.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By jimi

I've been thinking of playing it for a long time. From what I hear there are massive fan patches/mods similar to what has happened to the STALKER games, so look them up if you want to have a go.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Loafsmooch

Still a good game. Played it through last year or so. Dat atmosphere man. I particularly enjoy the dialogues when you play as a malchavian, they're batshit crazy.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Karkarov

@Jimi said:

I've been thinking of playing it for a long time. From what I hear there are massive fan patches/mods similar to what has happened to the STALKER games, so look them up if you want to have a go.

Yeah except STALKER is actually playable "without" the patches, Bloodlines? Not so much.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Wemibelle

Clunky is a great word to describe it but I enjoyed it immensely when I played it last year. The combat is the roughest part but knocking the difficulty down to Easy (or just cheating) in order to get through the story is absolutely worth it.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By vaiz

Mechanically, it hardly held up when it was released, but like everyone above says, it still has wonderful atmosphere, characters, and story. And yes, definitely play as a Malkavian at least once. If you haven't played it, I highly recommend it, and equally recommend you do a little digging to find the community patches that bring the game up to its full potential, much like KoToR 2.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

I love the game, but if you ask me "does it hold up," my answer is "no," even with a big fat community patch to clean things up. I've yet to finish it myself because of this, but I think I'd echo the sentiment that you might want to either turn down the difficulty or cheat your way through it where necessary to experience the good parts of it. The boss fights are about as difficult and dumb as you'd hear about Deus Ex: Human Revolution and some of the decision branches are straight up broken (had to console command some decision flags because they never triggered properly and had to restart the game near the beginning because an NPC needed to progress never spawned).

But even with the pain in the ass parts, I like the setting, and LOVE playing as a Malkavian. I think playing as a Malk makes the game.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By coaxmetal

I would say yes myself, it still does things really well that very few other games even try. With the patches its pretty great still. I replayed it last year. ALso, yeah, playing a Malkavian is awesome.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By FancySoapsMan

it does, somewhat.

The atmosphere is very good and the world it's set in is interesting, but the combat is pretty bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.