Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Bloodlines is a first person action-RPG built on Source engine and based on the World of Darkness setting from White Wolf.

Went back on a whim.... now I just want more!

Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By theuncannygiraffe

I'm off work being all sick (boo) and so can't play my loverly xbox (communal room = can't hog the couch), so I decided to break out the ol' lappy, and replay Bloodlines again, to cheer myself up. I forget how much I enjoy this game - bugs and all! The story kicks ass, and its just fun to play. Plus, bits of it still creep me out mightily. Not to mention the replay value in the Malkavian and Nosferatu clans....

Damn the gods that let Troika crash, or else we might have a bit more awesomeness by now. Anyway, I got to wondering a couple of things: firstly, anyone else notice all the crazy that happens in game. Think I missed it on other play throughs, but now I'm seeing a wolf running about the hills at the Santa Monica Pier, and then later in Downtown LA, I swear a Bruhja vamp ran past with acceleration when I was walking along a street (masquerade violation, much?) but when I tried to follow him down the ally he ran down, he was gone but I heard screaming. I wan't even on a quest at the time. Weird times, man. I'm thinking it must be more than a game bug, cos its just too darn random. lol

Secondly, wouldn't it kick a little bit of butt if a TV show or movie happened? The mythology is so rich and the characters are just plain cool. ('Kindred' doesn't count because it was just pathetically awful and missed the point and is now dead). So my other though is ..... casting? Any thoughts?

:)

(here's to secretly praying someone magically resserects the francise one day....)

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

I have an old copy of this i stole from a friend. Does it work on vista?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok
    AlwaysCrashing said:
    "I have an old copy of this i stole from a friend. Does it work on vista?"
    Yes.

theuncannygiraffe said:
    "(here's to secretly praying someone magically resserects the francise one day....)"
    Well, White Wolf (the guys who make the pen & paper style original game that Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is based off of) still exist. Who knows, some day they may have another developer give it a go at one of their many games.
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theuncannygiraffe
    AlwaysCrashing said:
    Yes, but be sure to patch it after install or else face the bug of doom. :)
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Megalon

I totally dug this game when it came out (played as a few different clans), but I kind of doubt we'll see another one like this. Whatever setting this game is based on (can't remember what White Wolf calls it...might just have been "Masquerade") is no longer used, as they moved on to something else, which I think is called "The Requiem".  I suppose that doesn't kill the chance of another game just based around Requiem, but this game was buggy and unsuccessful enough that I doubt we'd see another. Damn shame. 

I also feel like the nation is kind of saturated on Vampire-based stuff lately, with all the TV shows and movies. Though Masquerade is a lot deeper than those simply because it's based off a pen and paper RPG, I don't think the public is quite ready or willing for it. 
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Megalon
    theuncannygiraffe said:
    "AlwaysCrashing said:
    Yes, but be sure to patch it after install or else face the bug of doom. :)"
    Also, there is a pretty good unoffcial patch that makes the game run better. Can't remember who made it, but it's worth checking out.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PureRok
    Megalon said:
    " (can't remember what White Wolf calls it...might just have been "Masquerade") "
    It was based off of World of Darkness, I believe. http://www.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/

They had had a Werewolf game in the works in 2001 or something. I wish there were some good Werewolf based games in the vein of Vampire the Masquerade.
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theuncannygiraffe
    Megalon said:
    "I totally dug this game when it came out (played as a few different clans), but I kind of doubt we'll see another one like this. Whatever setting this game is based on (can't remember what White Wolf calls it...might just have been "Masquerade") is no longer used, as they moved on to something else, which I think is called "The Requiem".  I suppose that doesn't kill the chance of another game just based around Requiem, but this game was buggy and unsuccessful enough that I doubt we'd see another. Damn shame. 
    I also feel like the nation is kind of saturated on Vampire-based stuff lately, with all the TV shows and movies. Though Masquerade is a lot deeper than those simply because it's based off a pen and paper RPG, I don't think the public is quite ready or willing for it. 
    "
    Yeah..... Requiem is kinda cool too tho, so I'd be up for that. (Daeva would be a fun clan to play - who doesn't love a vice or two? ;)  )
    Bloodlines got a raw deal. Sure it was buggy as hell, but the patches were fixing that. And the story and world were damn cool. I think had Troika not been on the verge of imploding, it could have been better marketed and maybe done a bit better..... sigh, but why look back.

Vampire stuff kicking about on TV and movies atm is annoying my head, to be honest. Twilight in particular - how can a book/movie about vampires contain so little ass kicking? lol Apparently nowadays vampire = emo as all hell. Anyway, I'm not holding my breath for expansion of the universe via tv/movie/more games or anything, but it's fun to speculate purely for the lols. :)  I often wish I'd had the chance to write 'Kindred': so much potential was pissed away by crappy everything! 

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Hexpane

trying to find a new copy, not easy... and the game aint even that friggin old

theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hexpane said:
    "trying to find a new copy, not easy... and the game aint even that friggin old"
    Yeah.... after the company went bust, it became really hard to find it anywhere. My disk 2 broke and I'm sad to say I had to resort to downloading a new copy. I figure it's OK 'cos I bought it already, and since they've sadly already died, it doesn't hurt anyone..... if u really get stuck, you could always go to the dark side. It is def worth a play if u can get it!
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PureRok

There was actually a TV show based off of the White Wolf game (at least they said it was, and they called some people by their clans). I think it had like three episodes on the Sci-fi channel or something. I remember watching the pilot... it wasn't very good. It was like a soap opera.

theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PureRok said:
    "There was actually a TV show based off of the White Wolf game (at least they said it was, and they called some people by their clans). I think it had like three episodes on the Sci-fi channel or something. I remember watching the pilot... it wasn't very good. It was like a soap opera."
    That, my friend, was the god awful 'Kindred' to which I was alluding. It had 8 episodes, but none of them were watchable. The pilot has vamps running about in daylight, for pete's sake (ok, technically it was 'just before sunrise' so the sky was blue/grey, but it looked like a cloudy afternoon). Dialog, acting, direction were all below par with any daytime soap currently kicking about, and they clearly didn't give a crap about the mythology. I made the mistake of trying to watch it once. Shame on me. lol
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm not going to lie, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is one of the most underrated games that I have ever played. It's a kickass RPG and simply a kickass game, in general. Kudos for getting into it!

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By ninjadodo

You can still get it on Steam.

And yeah, great game... especially as Malkavian. :D

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexpane
    ninjadodo said:
    "You can still get it on Steam.

And yeah, great game... especially as Malkavian. :D"
    I could not find it on steam, but i just scored a copy off goozex
    SumoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SumoX

You know, I just tried to reinstall this game today because I wanted to really sit down and play all the way through it. I had gotten to the second location and after forgetting to back-up my save, I haven't gotten back into it (totally sidetracked by other games). Now that I've got a lot of free time and another week before work starts, and my copy of Far Cry 2 arrives,  I feel compelled to finish this.

But god, I hate Steam. I backed up the damn game, but Steam refuses to install from that and instead wants to re-download the whole game. POS. So getting back into the world of vampire politics has to wait until tomorrow.

Glad to see other people recognize this game as being absolutely brilliant.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I love the dialogue options in the game, especially for Malkavians.  I play it at least twice a year because it is still awesome.  A very unique game to say the least.

Doomsayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Doomsayer

I absolutely love this game. It would be nice to see some more rpgs based on the World of Darkness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.